Bathurst Head

Submitted: Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 16:44
ThreadID: 32217 Views:2685 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Looking for some info on Bathurst Head near Lakefield Nat. Park. Planning on going fishing there the week after Easter and need some idea of what to expect! We will be taking a 13 ft tinnie with 25HP engine. How easy is it to get to the islands provided not too windy, hear there are crabs but wondering where to go to get them.
I believe fresh water is a problem near the camp but is there fresh water within an hours drive of the heads? Is there any freshwater spots/ creeks for cleaning off( small of course with no croc's)

Is it still a rubbish tip( I guess I should expect that after Easter) What are the target fish species for April/ May and how far do you have to go to get them. Is there good fishing off the beach, rocks. Does anyone have any photo's of the area that I could see to get perspective.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bros 1 - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 18:09

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 18:09
Lizarde,
First off i must say that i have never been to Bathurst Heads, but seeing that no one has replied as yet i will tell you all that i know about the place.
No water close but somewhere in the vicinity.
Friends of mine who have been there say that it is fairly easy to get to the Flinders Group of islands, weather permitting.
Crabs i would expect are to the left in Princess Charlotte Bay.
Barra, Jack, Grunter, Mackies, Blue Salmon should be around in April.
Check with the Rangers at Lakefield on (07) 4060 3271.
Rangers at Cooktown on (07) 4069 5777.
Not sure who owns or manages Bathurst Heads at the moment after the Kalpowar Station split up. Have a good time and post something when you return as i am going back to Bathurst Bay in August.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 163202

Reply By: friar - Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 20:57

Monday, Mar 27, 2006 at 20:57
Hi Lizarde
Been there 3 times fishing can be very good,crabbing excellant,just put your pots out the front when you first get to the beach,back about 300mtrs on your right a track will lead you around to another bay,good camping & can launch a boat any tide, from here over to the nearest island is about 15 minutes weather permitting,casting lures on any of the rocky headlands can produce good barra.On the track over to the bay you wiill see a track heading off to the right this takes you down to a old resort where you can get water out of the tank.Having told you all this you will have to check with NP if you can still go there as the land has been given back to the aboriginals.
AnswerID: 163288

Sponsored Links