OT - Hidden Costs of Housing

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 00:18
ThreadID: 32237 Views:1654 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Totally unrelated but would interest a lot of us.

Why is housing so expensive?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 00:29

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 00:29
sounds about right to me.
Mine went up $45k in 12 months (thats just to build it 12 months later) lots of fees in subdivision also, mosty Govt costs.
AnswerID: 163346

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 01:16

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 01:16
They get you every which way. Don't know how the young ones do it or will do it in the future.

Regards
FollowupID: 418084

Reply By: Ray Bates - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 10:24

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 10:24
Housing is so expencive because of the money lenders, banks ect. When I first took out a morgage on my first house only one pay packet was consideredand and only 20% of that was considered and houses were of a reasonable cost.
These days the lending agentcies take into consideration both partners income. This means that more money is available to buy houses and consequently the price of houses go up accordingly. If this extra money was not available the price of houses would have stayed at a reasonable price.
This has a flow on effect and both partners are oblidge to carry on working to pay for the house and any children are put into day care instead of being cared for at home adding further costs to the community. Once these children become school age they become "latch key children" and left to their own devices and get up to mischief and adding further costs to the community.
I am not oppossed to day care but believe it should be researved for single perants who have no other option.
So blame the banks and other lending agencies for the situation and the governments for allowing it. Money is too easily borrowed today and I believe that the banks want everybody to be in their bept.
AnswerID: 163398

Follow Up By: robak (QLD) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 10:39

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 10:39
Ray

We havent bought a house for precisely that reason. We wanted our child to stay home so we can't afford a house on just one income.

Our little one goes to childcare two days a week now and I can tell you that at $60 a day there's no cost to the community. Childcare is BIG bussiness.
R.
FollowupID: 418143

Sponsored Links