suspension upgrade

Submitted: Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 21:59
ThreadID: 32282 Views:1661 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I've just recently bought a Hilux d/c (IFS) 2001 model late last year. I have taken it out for a few trips already, four shocks( Monroe magnum) and steering damper has been replaced when I purchased the vehicle (as the factory's looked worn-70K). An ABS canopy was just installed (roughly 80 -90kg), the lux has a ARB steel bull bar (a winch will be on the list next as well as a long range tank). Some one has sugested that I should get the HD Kingspring rear leaf and torsion bar. Can any one please give me their opions. I am fairly new in fourby - Many thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: simple - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 22:36

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006 at 22:36
i would wait until you have the accesories fitted before doing the suspension unless you'r already haveing load carrying troubles. youcan't get much lift out of an IFS lux without spending big $'s. and articulation is the biggest limiting factor in the ifs lux so stiffer springs wouldn't help this.
that's my opinion, see what the pthers say.
cheers, simple
AnswerID: 163556

Follow Up By: mushroom - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:03

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:03
Hi simple,
thanks for the advice.
FollowupID: 418487

Reply By: TUFF IFS LUX - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 17:17

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 17:17
g'day mushroom,

my 2003 IFS has Ironman Man Foam cell shockers, Tough-Dog springs all round, 4-Way RTC dampner, the front rubber bush under the upper control arm has been trimmed to allow for another half inch. Have an extreme duty bull-bar, twin side rails and steps, rear barwork, 265/75x16 BFG AT's going to either 32/11.5x15 or 33/10.5x15 next. The car was 2.5" higher when installed and it's probably sagged bout half an inch and I got no problems what-so-ever. Yeah, you wont ever get the same suspension articulation as a live axle/coil sprung 4x4, but to get through most off-road obstacles it does the trick. You just have to be abit smart about wheel placement offroad and expect one of the front wheels to get off the ground in alot of situations.

A front diff-lock installed would help the front end offroad without all the power going to the wheel up in the air. Take it easy thou if as you say you are new to the fourby scene, when you get the front wheel spinning off the ground be careful because when you land, if your on the throttle and the tyre suddenly grips, you run the risk of blowing the front diff gears.

Slow and steady is the way to go.

Hope it helped,

TUFF_IFS_LUX
AnswerID: 163679

Follow Up By: mushroom - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:13

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:13
thanks tuff ifs lux. i will take it easy, one thing at a time. All i really want is to get the lux set up to a certain standard where i can take it out for short trip now and then, I really get hooked after the first trip, enjoyed everybit of it. The simpson sandbox would be my ultimate dream, but that is for later (much later)_mushroom.
FollowupID: 418494

Sponsored Links