Canter, OKA and ISUZU replacement tyres.

Submitted: Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 20:28
ThreadID: 3230 Views:2848 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at purchasing a 4WD motorhome. The typical units are OKA, Canter and ISUZI NPR with GVMs up to 6.0 tonnes.

I would like some comments from anyone on suitable replacement tyres. For sand driving you require a lower pressure and larger contact area. The problem is the standard tyres on these vehicles are not suitable for lower pressures due to the size (say 7.5R16 on the Canter).

Any comments on replacement tyres and/or rims or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric - Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 23:17

Tuesday, Feb 04, 2003 at 23:17
Rob.
There is no reason not to use the 750R16 on sand. the profesional outback drivers prefer them to wider tyres. With the pressure adjusted for sand they are hard to beat, the wider tyres require more power and higher pressure to stop them coming of the rims. The only advantage of bigger tyres is gearing on the Canter, 825R16 will fit on the canter wheel and will give you a 100KPH cruise speed and still give good sand performance. Eric.
AnswerID: 12511

Follow Up By: Rob - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 08:45

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 08:45
Eric,
Thanks for your comments.

My concern was if you reduce your tyre pressure to say 20 psi, alot of bagging will occur under load. Dual tyres are used at the rear of the Canter. If you reduce your tyre pressure to this level for sand I believe the rear tyres will rub together.

Another concept I have been considering is having singles all round, with the same wheel track at the front and rear. This would reduce the power required to push the vehicle forward in sand (as only one set of tyre tracks are created). However singles at the rear need to be able to carry the load and not create excessive heat in the sidewalls at low speed on sand.

I will follow up further with the 825R16 tyres.

Thanks again.

Regards
Rob
FollowupID: 7307

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 13:30

Wednesday, Feb 05, 2003 at 13:30
We had the only Oka in NSW Rural Fire Service... It was a boat!!! Floundered around like nothign! It only had one shock each corner, with provisions for 2 shocks each corner, so this would have helped..

Okas are no longer made, so parts might be a bitch to get. Tour operators would buy any Okas that come up forsale to keep as spares, or have them made up at any cost...

Stick with something you have a remote chance of parts on in remote areas.....
AnswerID: 12543

Sponsored Links