Firewood in Vic Help Please

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 12:30
ThreadID: 32301 Views:1968 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

Not quite a 4WD topic, but hoping for help. We live in Sth Langwarrin, Victoria and most of the local firewood suppliers seem quite pricey. It's time for us to get a load in for our winter coonara and fire supply and was hoping somebody could recommend a mob that will deliver at a reasonable price.

Thanks
Jodi
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bruce - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 19:14

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 19:14
With tongue in cheek...I would say that easiest solution is to chuck the wood heater out and put a GAS one in....cheeeaaper ..cleeeaaaner...lots less work ...and I am not a greeny...and it is not cutting down our trees...cheers
AnswerID: 163702

Follow Up By: Jodi - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:23

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 08:23
I agree - but that is hard to do when you are renting.
FollowupID: 418600

Reply By: Jimbo - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:52

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:52
Agree in essence with Bruce....but,

I do like a fire (don't have one at home at present) because of its soothing effect.

You can pick up a decent trailer for 5 or 6 hundred. A little chainsaw for 2 hundred.

The little trailer should hold about half a cubic metre (more if you stack it high and rope it down). Do this every three or four weeks and you should be fine.

Just a lovely day out in the bush; take a picnic lunch and some friends. Combine work with pleasure. We camp a lot and one of our favourie activities is heading out to collect wood. If you find this a chore, Gas is probably the go.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 163730

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 00:49

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 00:49
if you have a few neighbours with wood heaters, get together and get a semi tipper delivered, about 20 tonnes, and the prices are very reasonable, but you usually need to get it a season ahead because its still a bit green. You can get it from the sleeper cutters up on the murray or from most of the sawmills as offcuts.

If you find a sawmill close that has kiln dried offcuts then you are really on a winner.

Jimbo - i dunno mate, i've spent a lifetime cutting wood for heating (even the wood stove / water heater hell combo at the old farm) and it aint no picnic for me, just a chore to get out of the way.

Dont forget for most areas you have to have a firewood permit to gather from the state forests, and these can be fairly pricey on their own.

Scope out the ads in the weekly times for bulk deliveries.
AnswerID: 163783

Reply By: TUFF IFS LUX - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 15:47

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 15:47
jodi,

just got a whole bunch of cheap firewood this morning. Took 2 cubic metres for now and will get more when needed. Mostly red-gum but some sugar-gum mixed in aswell as some split old power poles. Do you know where The Honda factory is in Tullamarine, Sharps Road? Across the road from there, theres a couple of blokes splittin wodd and charging $20 per 6x4 trailer or $50 per cubic metre.

Hoped it helped, tell your friends but save some for me,

TUFF_IFS_LUX
AnswerID: 164268

Sponsored Links