Nissan Patrol 3.0 TD lockup speed

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 17:06
ThreadID: 32313 Views:2547 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
My partner and I are the owners of a 2005 3.0 ltr TD Patrol with 12,000 kms and I have to say that we love it! - It has the RE4R03A auto box that seems to slither like a snake through the shifts and were it not for the Nissan warranty, I'd just love to firm it up a little bit! (Said that to my partner and now doing my own C482)
Does anyone know the lockup speed on this year of Patrol? - Seems to be in the mid 70's kms - I had my Nissan dealer check it over, no fault codes and they say its good! - Any tips and advice appreciated please.
Bopman
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 17:32

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 17:32
It depends on how much boot you are giving it.

Lotsa boot higher speed.
AnswerID: 163685

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:26

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:26
With O/D off it will lock up in 3rd at 80 and hold lock in spite of lots of welly. O/D on it will depend on right boot. After much experimentation I prefer to leave O/D off around town and up to 80 KPH when not towing and up to 100KPH when towing. Also when towing, as soon as lock disengages under load, I drop it out of O/D and provided you are over 80 it will immediately lock in 3rd. I have a Tranny temp gauge fitted and this method is best for maintaining lower temps as lock on = no heat.
AnswerID: 163716

Reply By: Chaz - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 01:19

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 01:19
Hi Bopman,
I had the same concerns as you, so I fitted a "TransGo" Shiftkit. Although it did improve the shifts slightly, I also notice that the trans feels much more "Direct" with alot less slippage.
As far as your lockup converter goes, why not have the best of both worlds and fit a Manual Lockup Switch. That way you decide when it locks and unlocks.
I have a circuit HERE if you want to tackle it yourself.

Cheers
Chaz
AnswerID: 163786

Follow Up By: junior - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 16:25

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 16:25
Hi Chaz, off topic, but have some questions re your pillar pod. I picked one up today- three questions (I have 4.2TDT Sept '02 Series3 ST GU)
1. What did you paint your pod with- did you get colour-matched can or just buy off the shelf vinyl/ plastic paint.
2. What did you use to cut holes with- I have a uni-bit (stepped drill bit) I can use for handle holes, but not big enough for gauges holes, and don't think it's safe to use a hole saw on lecky drill!!!???
3. I have a pyro & boost gauge to fit (already have volt meter elsewhere)- any suggestions on another appropriate/ important gauge I might otherwise be missing (ie: oil pressure?), but that will fit in top position- as you know this posi is shallower than others?
TA, Rob.
FollowupID: 418695

Follow Up By: Chaz - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 18:34

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 18:34
Hi Rob,
I got some vinyl pain mad up in a pressure pack can from Care Paints in Adelaide. They can virtually mix up any color and supply it in spray cans. The color is close, but unfortunately they only do metallic and in varying light it can appear off shade.

I used a 2 inch hole saw on the pod, but make sure you drill a good pilot hole and take it slow, while holding it steadily.

You guessed it, the reason the voltmeter is at the top is because there isn’t much room for anything else. The other options could be electrical oil pressure or temp gauges, because they too are fairly shallow. I was going to fit a transmission temp gauge there, but thought the voltmeter would be more useful. Mechanical gauges tend to be longer, so just stay away from them. You could always have a voltmeter on each battery, but an oil pressure gauge would be handy.

Chaz
FollowupID: 418723

Follow Up By: junior - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 20:19

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 20:19
thanx Chaz :-)
FollowupID: 418755

Follow Up By: Bopman - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:38

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:38
Thanx for all the info on lockup! - Lockup goes in at 80kms in 3rd and seems to go in between 75kms (With a light foot) & 80kms in 4th
I think I'm gonna do the trans mod to firm up the shifts, but I don't think I like the idea of the manual lockup switch. - Hmmmm!....gonna have to give that some serious thought!
I'm glad someone asked about your pod Chaz, since I was kinda wondering myself! (Looks great!!)
One more question, if I may? - My Patrol 3.0td auto has a slight hiss at low acceleration, I test drove another one (Did the same) according to my dealer and a Nissan tech bloke, its the norm! - What is it?
FollowupID: 419603

Follow Up By: Chaz - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 15:48

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 15:48
Hi Bopman,
That hissing you hear is the turbo spooling up, and you'll find that if you open the passenger side window it will be louder.

Just yesterday I helped a friend (4x4treker) fit a shift kit to his GUIV and it took a good part of the day to do, but I think the results are very positive. He already has done the lockup switch and is very happy with that as well because he tows a large van and finds it very helpful to get the converter locked earlier.
If you do any thing to your car, consider the lockup switch because you can always turn it off if you don't want to use it and after you get use to it, you'll think it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Check out THIS link for some interesting reading on lockup switches, and THIS one for information on modified valve bodies for the Nissan.

Chaz
FollowupID: 419673

Sponsored Links