Leaving Midwest WA for the cool South West

Submitted: Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 17:38
ThreadID: 32316 Views:1605 Replies:1 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Well the times finally arriving, In 3 weeks we are moving back down to the south west after 2 years in the heat and dust. (I've clocked 50 Degrees in the shed).

Was a taxation accountant when we moved up to take up a position as accountant at a small shire (covering 33,000sq km), moving back as Deputy CEO, chief cook and bottle washer. We also run the Post office and Fuel station...

When the fuel pumps break down....my job to fix them
when the town satelite TV goes on the blink...my job
when the computers break down...my job
when the fuel attendant is away....(chief fuel pumper)
and about any other task that u can give someone...

Has definitely been a rewarding experience, and the people are laid back and friendly. Many a session at the pub has left me worse for wear the next day.
They all go by nicknames and it takes you 2 years to find out their real names...Jock, Jelly, Cookie, Crocky, Blandy and RED to name a few.

100ppl in town is a small place to call home for 2 years, So we are looking forward to moving back, and will keep up with the forum that we discovered while up here.

Have a good one

Rev

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:27

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:27
So how many vacancies are going to open up when you leave ? :))
AnswerID: 163717

Follow Up By: revhead307 - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:40

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:40
lol Footloose

Looks like a few... :-)

The fuel attendant was away today..so i was pumping gas for the odd passer by again (start contrast from complying with the new international accounting standards)

After filling up the guy asked if there was any computer savvy people in town as his laptop wouldnt boot.

So 5 minutes on the bonnet of his car with the smell of diesel still lingering in the air and he drove off happy, refilled with a working computer.

Life is going to be boring after living here...what can i say...its a small town.

Rev

FollowupID: 418506

Follow Up By: Footloose - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:45

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2006 at 20:45
And they say that accountants are boring...doesn't sound like it at all. My brother is..but he's a cost accountant not a real one :)
Sounds like you'll miss the place...like a headache. The problem is that 20 years on you'll still be telling stories of the people there.
Hope you relocate to somewhere you really enjoy.
FollowupID: 418509

Follow Up By: kesh - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 12:32

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 12:32
Geeeez, Rev.
You sure you are making the right decision? (of course, you must be)
But believe me, (as an ex chief eng. for 2 public co's.) there's a lot more to life than money.
Hung out the shingle as a consultant eng. in the '80's but by 1990 the debtors ledger finally told me to give it up. Since then have had the time to take a good look around, spend time with both family and the great outdoors/outback.
Best of luck in the next phase of your lives.
kesh
FollowupID: 418645

Follow Up By: revhead307 - Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 13:25

Thursday, Mar 30, 2006 at 13:25
G'day Kesh,

Sorry my post wasnt that clear...I moved up here as Accountant 2IC, got promoted to Deputy CEO (title change only) and have been doing all of the above for the last 2 years. aka being a general dogs body, staff supervisor, resident technician, treasurer of the jockey club etc etc etc.

We are finally moving back 'home' to where the family and friends are.

Its actually less responsibility and slightly lower pay (bigger pond = smaller fish).

So it IS a lifestyle move, less stress and more time to camp and fish.

I could become a CEO within 5 - 6 years if I wanted to work the outback places hundreds of kms inland from the ocean...but I'm not that way inclined. (its the outback rat race lol)

Back to the coast, friends and family with a miriad of experience under my belt that i didnt have 2 years ago.

Cheers

Rev

FollowupID: 418657

Sponsored Links