80 Series Alternator Output

Submitted: Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 21:41
ThreadID: 32398 Views:15940 Replies:6 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Am running a hell of a load off my batteries. 2 Fridges + 100 amp driving lights and am thinking of second set of lights. Can anyone tell me what the output (amps) of an 40th Anniversary 80 series Landcruiser alternator as I may need upgrade. Can't findinfo on any site.

Regards Garry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: V8 Troopie - Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 22:39

Friday, Mar 31, 2006 at 22:39
This may sound silly but did you check the nameplate on the alternator?
Klaus
AnswerID: 164176

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 07:16

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 07:16
Garry,

I am sure that the 80 Series have a 100 amp alternator.

Depending on what type of fridge you have they would only draw 5 / 7 amps if both were running together. Driving lights would only be on at night and again depending where you are driving they would not be on all the time.

I would be inclined to run two heavy duty batteries with a good dual battery system that will handle charging two heavy duty batteries. Most dual battery isolating systems are set up to handle a heavy duty and a deep cycle battery.

I also think that the alternator can be rewound to give a bigger output.

Wayne
AnswerID: 164199

Follow Up By: Garry - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 10:34

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 10:34
Thanks fellas and WAyne in particular. Will follow advice.

Regards Garry
FollowupID: 419115

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 07:54

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 07:54
Just be careful as the alternators can and will try to match the load if it exceeds the rated output of the alternator, they don't last long before suffering meltdown.
Most likely to happen when winching.
While they can be rewound to provide higher outputs it is usually to the detriment of output at low revs.
I did it to cruiser diesel years ago and as long as the engine was spinning at 2 1/2 k rpm or more it was fine, but that doesn't happen all that often especially when 4 wheeling.
AnswerID: 164205

Reply By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 12:38

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 12:38
Hello Garry,
All of the above advice is great and accurate especially Wayne's on a good dual battery setup.

What I'm going to suggest to compliment a good dual battery setup is totally out of left field and in no way benefits me. I'm just a bloke with an electrical, electronic and industrial process control background that has finally seen something that actually achieves what it says it will in vehicle battery charging applications.

Your vehicle alternator is say 100amps and will charge the starting and auxilliary batteries to at best 70 to 75% converting a 100Ahr battery to at best 75Ahr. Nothing radical so far.

What if anyone could use their alternator to charge any number of batteries to 100% with a 4 stage algorithm and guaranteed to protect the alternator from overload?

Last weekend I was shown some of the most impressive Motor Home and 4wd battery charging equipment I've seen in years.

The item that interests us most in this application is a piece of equipment called a Sterling Advanced Alternator Regulator.

How does it work? It connects into your existing alternator overriding and supplementing the existing regulator.
What does it give us? As I said, an alternator with a four stage charging algorithm capable of charging batteries to 100% of their nameplate capacity. Most of us are familiar with three stage charging this unit does all that whilst the fourth stage is a desulphation stage. (Somewhat similar to the promises of say a Megapulse but different)

If your thinking of dual battery and want it to actually offer 100% of its expected capacity, have a look at Sterling Power

Any more questions please give me a holler.

Geoff.

Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 164240

Follow Up By: brian - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 16:26

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 16:26
Geoff read about the 4 stage adv alternater etc,looks great as you said question would the 4th stage desulphurisation interfer with HF and AM radio as a megapulse does???? Thankyou for showing this unit.
FollowupID: 419150

Follow Up By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 16:46

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 16:46
Brian,
That is a bloody good question, so good it escaped me! So much for a bloke with an electrical/electronics background!!
Two things,
One, the guy who designs them is an old marine engineer and designs them for boats. I'd suspect he's thought of that problem or someone else has grabbed him by the jatz and told him about his problem!!
Second thing, I'll give the guy who imports them a buzz and get the right answer.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 419153

Follow Up By: hz75 - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 19:23

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 19:23
Geoff, getting off the thread here a little bit.
I was after some information about twin battery relay modules. I took my troupie in the other day with redarc system, totally stuffed according too auto electricion.
They put two new batteries in, exilary is deep cycle .front battery is heavy duty. They replaced the redarc system with (vsr voltage sensitive relay module) the electrician told me that these were better than redarc ( i dont know weather i agree with this) as all the threads that i have viewed on explorer have nothing but praise to redarc. Have you heard from these vsr relay modules? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.. p.s they are the same price
around $150 each
darrell
FollowupID: 419299

Follow Up By: hz75 - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 19:25

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 19:25
VSR INGRAMS
FollowupID: 419301

Follow Up By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 21:13

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 21:13
Hello Darrel,
My understanding of the Redarc is at its simplest a VSR. My interpretation of VSR for the purpose of this answer is Voltage Sensing Relay.
Basically it couples two batteries when the voltage of the starting or primary battery exceeds a set amount, say 12.5 volts. It seperates the two batteries when the primary or starting battery falls below a certain value, say 11.5 volts.
This type of operation leaves sufficient charge in the starting battery to do just that, start the vehicle.
If the VSR you have purchased does the above, then all is good and it should be functionally similar to the Redarc.
The Redarc does have one feature others may or may not have, it offers transient or surge suppression. When a DC current is switched off the circuit generates back EMF or Voltage. A surge suppression circuit absorbs this transient and prevents it from damaging other more delicate electronic components around it.

Hope this makes sense, if you need more clarification please let me know.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 419328

Follow Up By: hz75 - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 18:10

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 18:10
Thanks for the information Geoff, in a later part in your post , i am a bit confused as to what ive got just checked the little black box under the bonnet and your right it is a voltage sensing relay, also it has written on the box "ïgnition protection" 140 amp.
Cut in 13.7 cut out 12.8
Veichle has been stopped for about an hour and the little red light is on.
The auto lecy told me that little red light comes on when the back battery (AUX) is being charged.
Do you think that little light should be on? Both batteries are brand new.
Thanks for your help again .. its appreciated
p.s i dont belive everything those mechancics tell me
hence this post
FollowupID: 419500

Follow Up By: Geoff M (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 18:27

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 18:27
Hello Darrell,
I think I'll break your information down into several parts to address your concerns, should be a little less confusing for both of us!

140 Amps, This is good. That is the maximum rated current the unit can handle. For best results this number should be greater than the output of your alternator and from my memory of the HJ75 I owned all is good in your installation.

"Ignition Protection" Not quite sure without seeing more information from the manufacturer but I'm prepared to have a guess. I'd guess it means the unit won't damage delicate vehicle electronics such as engine computers when it does its switching. This too is good if my guess is correct.

Red light on. This is likely even with the engine off. Why? Because the vehicle starting battery is still above that magic cutout number of 12.8 volts. These VSR's leave the batteries connected whilst ever the starting battery is above 12.8 volts. Below 12.8 it disconnects them until the starting battery rises to or above 13.7 volts.

Sounds like you've done Ok.
Out of curiosity are you able to give me more details on the unit. Sounds exactly like the piece of equipment I'm looking for to use in another application.

If you want to take it off the list just let me know your email address and I'll be happy to answer questions otherwise just post away,

Geoff.
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 419507

Follow Up By: hz75 - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 19:53

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 19:53
Geoff, I live in towsville, Queensland.
Contact number for VSR units is as follows: NQ cool electrics, Phone number: 0747252666
best to talk to them,< Certainly not me.
These people have been in Townsville for a long time and are professinals at what they do.
Talk to Vicki or husband.. I think Gavin? They will give you information that i certainly cant.
Again thanks for your help mate
And let me know how you get along with NQ elcectrics (bit of a plug there) c ya
FollowupID: 419520

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 20:33

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 20:33
If she is a petrol your standard factory fit is 80 amp ,, diesel is 130 amp ,,info from RACQ.
AnswerID: 164313

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 20:20

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 20:20
Yep. It says 80A in the manual.
AnswerID: 164613

Sponsored Links