Bio diesel

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 12:12
ThreadID: 32416 Views:1853 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
It is finaly going to happen. Bp is going to start manufacturing bio diesel and should be happening sooner rather than later. They will be using tallow as a base.
Know brisbane refinery will be doing it as they are looking into transport and delivery arrangements.Now we just have to wait and see what other refineries follow.
regards ross
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 14:01

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 14:01
And of course it won't be cheaper than dino diesel. :((((((((
AnswerID: 164248

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 21:31

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 21:31
So, you dont think the price will reflect the true value of the base materials, the manufacturing costs and a modest profit? These costs added together to give their customers an environmentally freindly product at an affordable price?? Michael (: )
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 419186

Follow Up By: Footloose - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 21:44

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 21:44
Michael I'd love to think that. But we're talking the oil industry here. We're talking parity pricing . We're talking mega profits.
The individual can make bio for around 30c litre ? Ok so the fuel companies have costs...and the economies of scale that the individual doesn't have. The oil companies have to pay tax (actually the consumer pays the tax in the price).
So given all of the above, the figures that I have from other states tell me that where bio is availiable, it is either around the same price or sometimes more than regular diesel.
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe in the Easter Bunny any more.
A quick exercise is to see the oil price spikes. Thats when the oil companies claim that the pump price is high because of the price of oil. Sounds fair enough eh ? Then take a look at oil company profits during that period.
I rest my case :((
FollowupID: 419189

Follow Up By: ozdragon - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 03:29

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 03:29
The Easter Bunny isnt real !!!....S$%*

I suppose I have to buy my own eggs.
FollowupID: 419207

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 07:19

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 07:19
Mr Peter Cottontail Ozdragon, buying your eggs at 03.29 in the morning will be difficult. Don't get em confused with Easter furfies :))
FollowupID: 419213

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 08:08

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 08:08
Hey Guys,, I was joking. I know we are talking about oil companies. I guess if the oil companies dont all get in on the act, they will eventually miss out. They would not be willing to drop profits so i guess they will be out there buying up the small Bio manufacturers as they crop up. Just like Ebay did to Sold.com.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 419220

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 08:15

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 08:15
Mike, don't get me wrong, I think its a great step forward in terms of spinning the reserves of oil out. I will be running it after about 12 months (if I can afford to do so). I figure it will take 12 months for them to get distribution etc organised, and to work out any side effects.
FollowupID: 419222

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 17:10

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 17:10
Footloose!! I guess one product will have to be removed from each servo so make way for bio-diesel so not to have to put in more ground tanks and bowsers. it will take time to implement. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 419272

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 17:14

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 17:14
One more thing... i guess we could argue the Parity price thing as its not Diesel as we know it (OTOil Based).. Bio-diesel is not related to oil so should not be subjected to the poor excuses given to us by the government.... Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 419274

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 18:02

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 18:02
Mike, they have already taxed one of bios constituants. However it wont worry the oil companies as we'll pay for it at the pump and they'll put it down as an expenditure on their tax.
So how much do the oil companies give the Feds at re election time ? I'd like to see that !
The worst thing is that if we got rid of this Govt, the next one would probably have twice as many pressure groups :((
FollowupID: 419285

Reply By: Member - Ross H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 22:43

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 22:43
Here is the press release

BP brings biofuels into the mainstream

BP Australia today announced it has signed two contracts and a Memorandum of Understanding to provide to consumers over 200 million litres of biofuels per annum by 2008. The announcement signals the early delivery by a single company of over half of the Federal Government's national target of 350 million litres.
BP President, Mr Gerry Hueston said "(BP will invest in refining and distribution infrastructure and secure product to enable biofuels to play a role in the future of Australia"'s petroleum supplies. This announcement is the culmination of many years of work by BP and demonstrates our ability to deliver cleaner fuels to Australian motorists.")
"(In delivering these initiatives we would like to acknowledge the support of the Federal and State Governments,") said Mr Hueston. "(This work signals a unique change to the composition of Australia"'s fuel supply and is evidence that much progress is being made towards the Federal Government"'s biofuels target.")
The initiatives include:-
􀂾ƒnInvestment to allow production at BP"'s Bulwer Refinery in Queensland of 110 million litres per annum of biodiesel through a new technology, with the fuel being made available to the market from 2007. The biomass feedstock has been secured through a contract for supply of tallow from Colyer Fehr Tallow Pty Ltd.
􀂾ƒnA Memorandum of Understanding with Primary Energy Pty Ltd to purchase the entire output from a new ethanol plant to be constructed by Primary Energy in Kwinana, Western Australia. This would see the production of 80 million litres of ethanol per annum to be sold across Australia as e10 from 2008.
􀂾ƒnA contract for purchase of 23 million litres of ethanol from CSR over 2 years. The ethanol will be purchased from CSR"'s Sarina distillery near Mackay and blended to produce e10 that will be sold into the Queensland market later this year.

"(BP believes biofuels have an important role to play in strengthening Australia"'s security of supply,") said Mr Hueston. "(However, the role of sound policy settings cannot be underestimated. The Government"'s Energy White Paper and introduction of legislation for petroleum market reform are steps that will result in far greater confidence in investing in the future marketing and distribution of these products
AnswerID: 164327

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 22:53

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 22:53
slightly off topic, good on bp for getting with the times :-))

was watching the german DW news on sbs the other night, and they had a story on petrol prices in germany, must have had a rise lately, anyway they showed the servos price boards - 1.25 euro for unleaded ( we should feel good abot that :-) )
BUT .75 euro for distallate !!!!! we is getting screwed. Obviously in europe the lower cost of producing diesel reflects at the bowser . not like here .
AnswerID: 164331

Sponsored Links