wheel bearing grease camper trailer

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 18:36
ThreadID: 32429 Views:11730 Replies:10 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
hi guys
i have to grease wheel bearings on off road ct just bought it second hand .
went to repco to buy grease they advised not to use grease you use for front wheel bearings that have disc brakes on cars just use normal grease.
this seemed unusual so went to local mechanic he advised use bearing grease.
i'm a bit confused not sure watt to use i asked the repco guy why i shouldn't use wheel bearing grease he said he didn't know but heard you shouldn't is this an april fools joke ?
can any body advise watt to use it would be appreciated.

regards
al
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Derek from Affordable Batteries & Radiators - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 18:51

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 18:51
I use Castrol HT bearing grease.

Regards Derek.
AnswerID: 164296

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 19:00

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 19:00
I use Valvoline high temp marine , use it in just about anything , always know when needs redoing ,changes from the "pretty blue" to a downright orrible black.
AnswerID: 164297

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 19:17

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 19:17
"Greases aint greases" Al - wheel bearing grease is formulated for that type of work - any reputable brand of high temperature (HT) bearing grease should be the go - its reputed to last longer and perform better when hub temps get really high (as is often the case with brakes) - I usually buy Castrol products because they have an informative website and they will trade info with you via the technical query interface - a human has even rung me back in response to some engine oil queries ! That is rare in this day and age ! I have used HT bearing grease on two campers and a boat trailer for some collective years - so far its all been good. Parts like tailshaft splines, universals and suspension joints have another grease spec.
AnswerID: 164300

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 19:46

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 19:46
Like others here I tend to use Castrol HTB grease in the bearings on my camper which has drum brakes.
I use the blue marine grease on my boat trailer which doesnt have brakes but gets dunked in salt water more regularly.
I have heard comments that some bearings (toyota)bearings dont need HT grease in trailer applications because they dont get hot eneough to melt the grease , and if the HT grease is thown out of the bearing and goes hard there is not eneough heat to remelt the grease and have it run thru the bearing- I think thats either crap or they only ever tow their trailer such short distances it wouldnt matter as they could carry it home.
All greases work at low temps and I use the HT grease as insurance for the extra protection if things do start running hot.

regards
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 164302

Reply By: howie - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 19:47

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 19:47
and while your at it, for $30, change the bearings and keep the old ones as spares if they are not too bad.
AnswerID: 164304

Reply By: The Boy - Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 19:54

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 19:54
What about hub oilers or durahub as it is called now, have done approx15000 k's on them with the CT and that includes off road...
Fantastic

I do carry spare grease and a set of bearings just in case but have not used them to date.

The Boy
AnswerID: 164306

Reply By: Member No 1- Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 20:29

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 20:29
the grease is the easy bit...any good quality...eg castrol..
if your not maintenance wise get advice about how to tension the tapered bearings so they dont overheat or are too sloppy....every tom dick and harry have their own way...me just one

tighten nut till no play is detected...no play slack off by 1/8th @ time till minimum play is detected...lock at this point......drive 20 -30 at 100klm and check temp..if cold check play if not altered leave alone
AnswerID: 164311

Follow Up By: Member JD- Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 20:39

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 20:39
Hi No 1,
This sounds good to me,what I do aswell as feel for heat at the hub is try to push the top of the wheel to see if there is any play...better than loosing a wheel at 110 k,s All the best.
JD
FollowupID: 419178

Reply By: Member JD- Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 20:31

Saturday, Apr 01, 2006 at 20:31
Hi Al,
I went the grease for a specific job route..but honestly castrol ht bearing grease is the go and mount up some bearing buddies they work a treat..use the grease that is readily available..that way you wont end up mixing soaps like I did..back to the buddies they keep the grease up to the bearing I think they keep about 3lb pressure on the bearing and a spring pumps the grease in as you go..with my boat trailer I was lucky to get 3 mths out of a set but with the buds installed a couple of seasons I think this speaks for itself,Hope This Helps.
JD
AnswerID: 164312

Reply By: Peter 2 - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 10:10

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 10:10
Well actually your first mechanic was correct, trailers do not require HTB as the hubs do not get hot enough to melt the grease so the only grease that is used by the bearings is the bit that is actually in the bearing, the reast in the hub just stays where it is.
The same applies to most Landcruisers too, the hubs a re so big that unless you are absolutely hammering the brakes the hub dissapates the heat and again the grease never melts.
That is also the reason that as one poster says 'the grease turns black' from the buildup of worn bearing material due to the'lack' of lubrication!!!
I used to use HTB too and a mechanic mate/workshop foreman in a fleet based workshop asked what grease I was using as the bearings in the cruiser and the trailer were well worn (he was cleaning the hubs etc in the parts washer for me).
"HTB I said" WRONG !!!, explained why as I have done earlier in the post and gave me some Castrol APX grease which I have used to repack everything with since.
Since then I haven't had to replace a wheel bearing ever and the camper only gets a check every year or so instead of the repack before every trip.
The crusier bearings both front and rear were only done twice in 160k and were like new still.
AnswerID: 164363

Follow Up By: Shaker - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 12:07

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 12:07
HT grease is a must for disc braked hubs!
FollowupID: 419240

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 16:49

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 16:49
Not on a Landcruiser, earlier ones anyway ( I had two 75 troopies, multipurpose grease recommended) due to lack of heat
FollowupID: 419271

Reply By: Axle - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 18:36

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 18:36
Hi Al

" Have used this grease for thirty years"!! On truck wheel bearings, cars bikes, Earthmoving equiptment, Never a Failure.

Mobil grease
HP.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 164428

Follow Up By: Member - shad D (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 19:24

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 19:24
what about a camper trailer with disc brakes,i am currently using castrol htb allround ie,80 series bearings,uni joints and camper trailer.!MPG:3!
thanks Shad
FollowupID: 419300

Follow Up By: Axle - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 20:01

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 20:01
Not sure about the castrol range, But in my experience only i have found with wheel bearings, that if the grease is to heavy it drys out to quick and fails to lubricate properly, On the other hand if its to light it turns to oil and drys out also.

Mobil Hp seems to have the right consitansey for most applications.
FollowupID: 419309

Sponsored Links