One for the home brewers

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 13:50
ThreadID: 32448 Views:2332 Replies:9 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Do you filter your beer before bottling to get rid of sediment ?
If I use a 5 micron filter will this take out the yeast and prohibit secondary fermentation or can I go down to a 1 or .5 and still get the second fermentation
I am after anyones opinion who has done this as I have been given a 10 inch in- line water filter with a 5 micron skirt filter (plain filter not carbon/charcoal) that can be back flushed to clean and reuse. I am told that the beer will gavity feed thru the 5 micron but if I went smaller would have to force the beer thru the filter by pressurising the carboy but unsure of the yeast staying in solution. What do you think

Greenant
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Niffty - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 15:32

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 15:32
The best way to drop sediment(yeast) is by cooling your fermenter.Assuming you are controlling your fermentation temp you could drop the temp down to 2-3 degrees for a couple of days and most yeast will drop out but there will be enough yeast left for secondary fermentation. It is common in breweries which produce bottle conditioned beer to sterile filter first then add a new lager style yeast at bottling. this done because thier fermentation yeast is non floculant and will not drop out. The lager style yeast is then added for secondary fermentation and it is highly floculent and will stick well to the bottom of the bottle. 5 micron is considered rough filtration and should leave enough yeast in solution. You can go down to 3 micron (polishing filtration) and still have yeast in solution but probaly not enough for secondary fermentation but it worth a try. 0.5-0.23 micron is sterile filtration and will remove all yeast and most bacteria.
NEVER pressurise a glass carboy unless you want to visit the local hospital
I would imagine that gravity feed will be very slow at best if at all.You will need to sterilise your filter and housing and transfer hoses with a non rinse steriliser then flush to whole unit with co2. If you dont flush with co2 your beer will oxidise from contact with the air and decease its shelf life and taste like cardboard.Hope this helps.
Niffty
Perth
AnswerID: 164395

Reply By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 16:00

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 16:00
Greenant,

The sediment you get in the bottle is FROM the secondary fermentation. The beer is clear as anything when it goes from the fermenter into the bottles, then you add sugar and the secondary fermentation happens to gas up the brew. Then you get more sediment.

Can't get away from the sediment unless you use a UBrewIt type place that adds the carbonation prior to the bottle and no sugar.

IMHO proper home brew has sediment. UBrewIt beer just doesn't have the heart and soul of beer made at home with tender loving care.

Tim
AnswerID: 164398

Follow Up By: Redback - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 21:11

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 21:11
Yep have to agree, it ain't home brew unless there is sediment, just look at Coopers.

Baz.

PS; keg it and you won't have this problem, as you lager your beer before putting it in the keg, this means you transfer to a secondary container for a week after it's finished fermenting in a cool place to clear it, then put it in the keg.
FollowupID: 419327

Reply By: Member - David 0- Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 16:25

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 16:25
Would you filter a stubbie of Coopers Pale Ale....I think not
The sediment is part of the experience
AnswerID: 164406

Follow Up By: Member JD- Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 17:19

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 17:19
Obvious...is'nt it....your liver...LOL
FollowupID: 419275

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 17:07

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 17:07
Why don't you ask the question on Grumpy's Brew Page
www.grumpys.com.au/phorum.php3

While you are there you might ask them a few 4WD questions.
K
AnswerID: 164414

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 21:36

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 21:36
Makers of fine brew. I used to get stuck in there sampling them all.
FollowupID: 419335

Reply By: revhead307 - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 17:26

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 17:26
Some people add Beer Finnings (gelatin) a few days before they bottle. doesnt affect flavour and drops out the seditment.

You'll never get rid of the sediment in the bottle from the secondary fermentation, but this settles out nicely and you can either drink it with, or pour into a glass and leave the sediment behind.

Rev
AnswerID: 164417

Reply By: Member No 1- Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 19:59

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 19:59
send me a slab and i'll tell you how and what to do
AnswerID: 164450

Reply By: Jimbo - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 21:42

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 21:42
Brian, The Bigfella, should be along at any minute to offer an expert opinion.

He makes some exceptional drops and does this for a living. Happens to be a top bloke as well.
AnswerID: 164485

Follow Up By: The Bigfella - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 15:25

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 15:25
Hi there, I am here.
The advice given on this thread is spot on. Good to see homebrewers out there with the right knowledge. As a homebrew shop owner I often get asked about the sediment in homebrew. It is a natural part of the brewing process except that the BIG breweries filter it out. Coopers are an exception. For an interesting piece of useless information, did you know that most of the big breweries forward the spent yeast on to Kraft to make Vegemite out of. Brewers yeast is the main ingredient in Vegemite. Any way if you did get ALL the yeast out of homebrew you would have no secondary fermentation to give the gas in the bottled beer. Would not matter if you are kegging but the yeast does give flavour to the beer.
If there are so many homebrewers on this forum maybe I should look at advertising on ExplorOz as we do a mail order service all over Australia.
Cheers
The Bigfella
FollowupID: 419458

Reply By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 21:57

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 21:57
Greenant,

Do what is called racking it off.

The time all depends on the temperature/brewing time. If I know that my brew is going to take about 5-7 days to brew out (winter brewing usings a heater pad in the shed), at around day 3, I syphon off the liquid into another brew drum. I use plastic food grade tube, strapped to a plastic spoon to lift it about 1-2 inches off the bottom, so as to not take in the sediment. Sure you loose a bit, but that is the trade off, may be a bottle.

Once this is done, then you just keep brewing in the second drum. This gives me next to no sediment. I have not done it, but you can repeat the process and I guess get no sediment.

Time this right and it apparently improves the flavour.

It does work, dont need to poor into a jug, pooring from the bottle into the glass gives you a nice clear beer.

Dont wash your glasses in with normal dishes, use special detergents. Have to hide the glasses from the Mrs. lol

Cheers
Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 164491

Follow Up By: Member JD- Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 09:39

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 09:39
Hi Prickle,
THat is what I used to do,works a treat..when I finnished a bottle I would rinse it out with clean water spray a little sodium met into the bottle and hand knock the cap back on it used to save a heap of time cleaning for the next brew..all the best.
JD
FollowupID: 419380

Reply By: paulc_hilux - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 16:06

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 16:06
Ahh - just drink it cloudy. !!
AnswerID: 164571

Sponsored Links