Gearbox Oil Change

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 15:13
ThreadID: 32449 Views:6202 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I am interested in how best to change the gearbox and diff oils. I did try a oil syringe but this was very slow, difficult to operate and messy. I am sure people are making light work of this task so lets here what you are using and or doing ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mr Fawlty - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 15:27

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 15:27
Hows this for a good trick... I use a "drill pump" which is a rotary pump that fits in the chuck of a battery drill, available at Bunnings tool shop or supercheap etc about $20... A piece of hose, I use clear pvc, attached each end making sure that the output end is sized so that it fits in the fill hole, with the other end in the oil bottle squeeze the triger on the drill and pump the oil in.... I have actually got a piece of 12mm copper pipe in the on the input end of the setup that I bet to a J shape so that it could "hook" into the inlet hole without falling out and spurting oil every where. After doing the job to keep things clean for next time simply put the input end into the suction end and the interior of the tubing pump etc is kept clean for next time...
I also used this setup to remove excess transmission fluid via the dipstick hole because after filling with 7 litres of transmission fluid (as per my manual) I discovered that only 3.6 was needed...
AnswerID: 164394

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 16:10

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 16:10
I have an old truck air tank which sits vertically on 3 bits of steel welded to form a tripod. It has an out let on the bottom which has about 2 meters of hose with a tap, then another 300mm of hose with a right angle plastic joiner (from a in-ground garden watering system (this last item does the same job as the "J" shaped bit of copper pipe in Mr Fawlty's response above).

The tank has an opening on the top with a 44 gallon drum lid fitting welded on (for filling with oil) and a air fitting so I can pressureise the vessel. There is a relief valve on the side and a pressure gauge. Sounds complicated but it really simple.

Just partially fill the tank (it would hold about 20 litres all up at a guess) with the desired oil, seal the opening, hook up the air compressor and pump to about 20psi. Climb under truck and fill the gearbox, transfer case, diff etc. I also use this system for putting the 10 litres of oil into the engine....easier than tipping-up a drum into a funnel etc.

Another idea I read once was to use one of those garden weed spray bottles with a hand-plunger pump; just remove the spray nozzle.

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 164400

Reply By: guzzi - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 16:35

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 16:35
Pump up sprayer bottles ie 2lt from bunnings et al $7 to $10 dollars.
18inches of pvc tube size to suit both the nozzle of the sprayer and the size of the filler hole in g/box $3.00
Pour in the required amount of oil, pump up to pressurise,place tube in filler hole , pull trigger, oil forced uphill in to g/box.
Not astoundingly quick but quicker than a syringe with less mess and you can guage the amount of oil that goes in.

Have fun
AnswerID: 164408

Reply By: Darian (SA) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 17:59

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 17:59
I drain my oil baths when warm of course..... give em a good time to run right out - then I use a small hand pump that screws onto the top of the 4L oil containers -has about 1m of clear hose on it - simple and workable - available here and there - have tried the big syringe - as you say, quite messy. Roachie's system sounds the most user friendly, especially when crawling around under the car. May progress there at some stage.
AnswerID: 164423

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 16:42

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 16:42
Yeah, Roachie takes it with him wherever he goes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no wonder his TD42 overheats ;)

Wednesdays the DAY, Roachie!!

Brrrooom, burble, burble, burble,,,,,,,,,,

Bilbo

FollowupID: 419481

Reply By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 18:47

Sunday, Apr 02, 2006 at 18:47
G,day diver,

Go out and cut a 1.1mtr length off your garden hose, find a funnel in your shed that fits neatly into the hose.
Feed hose down through engine bay into front diff fill hole and pour oil into funnel, then feed hose down through engine bay along fire wall along floor into gearbox filler hole and pour oil into funnel, then feed hose through rear inner guard under tank (in GU ) into rear diff filler hole and guess where you pour the oil.
All parts at home no cost involved, simple, cheap and effective.

Avagoodn
Pezza
AnswerID: 164429

Follow Up By: diver2 - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 12:32

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 12:32
Simple and cheap sounds a winner I like the hose idea and it should work. The drill driven pump is of intrest and I hadnt thought of using the garden spray. Great suggestions thanks, the drum pumps I checked out only deliver 100mls per stroke so didnt seem worth the money.
Thanks everyone and I am sure some others will benefit from these great alternative methods of transmission oil changes
FollowupID: 419411

Reply By: warthog - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 16:21

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 16:21
20 ltr drum pump. They are not very expensive and work well.
AnswerID: 164572

Follow Up By: diver2 - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 16:55

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 16:55
Which brand of drum pump are you using ? A Mcnaught C7 drum pump shifts 100ml per stroke or 40 strokes needed for 4 Litres. How would that compare with yours ?
FollowupID: 419482

Sponsored Links