Landcruiser IFS and Water Warning

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 13:25
ThreadID: 3247 Views:6821 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I have a turbo diesel landcruiser which damaged the fan and radiator to the tune of $1400. I was crossing the upper reaches of the Murray River at Tom Groggin in about 500mm (20 inches) of water and the fan blades "propellored" forwards and have broken off and also damaged the radiator. Could it be that the design of the independent front suspension, now stardard on most landcruisers, results in greater inflow of water though the radiator during water crossings?

I have had discussions with Toyota regarding the situation and they say that it is not a manufacturing fault so they have no responsibility to repair it. I wonder if the design of the bash plate underneath the independent front end, that is 28cm off the ground, and angles down at around 45 degrees near the back edge, causes a wave to form at the front of the radiator and then enter the engine bay. I put this to Toyota and as of yet a response has not been forthcoming other than it is "not due to a manufacturing defect" and that the vehicle is "not a boat". I would have thought that with a wading depth of 700mm I would have been safe, as 700mm approximates the mid point of the fan from the ground.

I wonder if the new V8 IFS Landcruisers will suffer the same fate as I imagine their underbody is very similar in design. Toyota suggested they will review the situation if I get an engineering report. What options do I have for repair and reports? - I am loathe to spend $1400 ( approx fan $250 and radiator $900 plus fitting) if I could suffer the same fate again.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Will - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 13:56

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 13:56
Andrew,
All vehicles are prone to this specially if the weather is hot and the fan was engaged at the time, there was a recent report on a Discovery series 2 with the same problem and I heard of another IFS diesel cruiser with the same problem.
The other thing that plays a part on this is how close are the blades to the readiator core, all blades will bend forward if they come in contact with water while engaged and turning but those closer to the rad core will touch when the ones further away wont.
I have a GU 4.2 diesel and it does not suffer from this, compare the distance and see.
Other people made up a clip to hold the fan while on crossings....
Good luck with Toyota on the repair.... I don't like your chances.

Will
AnswerID: 12603

Reply By: Tony - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 15:26

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 15:26
Andrew I crossed the Murray at the same spot late December and never experienced any problem (Troopie) maybe speed had a bit to do with it.

Other vehicles crossed were Disco. Hi Lux. 60 Series. all ok.

Don't be to hasty and blame the vehicle.

Tony.
AnswerID: 12609

Follow Up By: Andrew - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 15:35

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 15:35
I am just posing the question. Bought myself a new fan today from Toyota and the guy said that he had sold another one. I think my speed was fine but was in L2 and maybe the engine speed was too fast. Hot day as well so I guess that the fan was engaged. Looking underneath the vehicles, I could imagine that a wave would build up infront of the radiator as it comes down to the level of the plastic (bash) plate. I reckon a lot of water would go through the radiator and this design might be somewhat more susceptible than the live axle designed cruiser. Hopefully everyone will be pretty wary anyway. I see the CD's that come with the mags and see what they do to the test vehicles and I am surprised that any of them make it though the test. I wouldnt spend all those hard earned dollars to trash my car.
FollowupID: 7373

Reply By: Truckster - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 16:04

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 16:04
Id like to blame the IFS as its crap for offroad, but you will find on ANY worthwhile 4wd training course, they tell you the effects of creeks and fan blades!

Also how much to fit a fan and radiator???? Took me around 1 hour to do the GQ....
AnswerID: 12611

Follow Up By: Andrew - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 16:11

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 16:11
Told me $70 and an hour just for the fan - they are only small those four nuts so I reckon that they must be heavy or something!
FollowupID: 7375

Reply By: Kev. - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 17:58

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 17:58
Andrew, In future river crossings if worried about it place a small tarp or large towel (if nothing avalable) over your bull bar to make a bow wave.
This should help.

The new cruisers must be alot different as my 80 series has 60-70 mm gap between the fan and radiator.
My brother keeps popin fuses on the thermo fan every time he crosses deep water, easly fixed though.

Kev.
AnswerID: 12621

Follow Up By: Peter L - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 21:43

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 21:43
Apparently the IFS cruisers fan is very close to the radiator by comparison with the earlier model/s.
FollowupID: 7484

Reply By: sean - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 20:37

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 20:37
Friend of mine did exacltly the same thing in his 100 series that is not IFS. Can happen to any vehicle if the water gets to the fan

Sean
AnswerID: 12677

Follow Up By: Kev. - Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 13:15

Tuesday, Feb 11, 2003 at 13:15
There you go, the 100 series IFS or not must have the raidiator close the fan.
I can't see a fan blade bending 70mm to hit the fan on my 80 series but it dosn't hurt to be carefull.

I'd be a bit worried about the 100 series..

FollowupID: 7508

Sponsored Links