Jayco Offroad Flight on Fraser Island

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 14:21
ThreadID: 3248 Views:2113 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am planning a trip to Fraser Island in a couple of weeks and I want to if I can/should take my Jayco Offroad Flight over to the island. I will be towing it with a V6 Prado fitted with BFG ATs. Any thoughts?

Also has anyone got some recomended spots to see, 4WD or lie on the beach (the handbrakes idea) between Melbourne and Fraser Island?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mal - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 14:38

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 14:38
Dunny,
how long are you on the island for and where are you staying?

Oops!!! I've just done anOzi! Sorry Truckster.

Mal T.
AnswerID: 12608

Follow Up By: Dunny - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 14:56

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 14:56
Proabably 10 days or so and I am not sure where we are staying yet, probably find a good spot not far up from Inskip Point and camp there, and just take the Prado out during the day to look around.

what is an anOzi?
FollowupID: 7370

Reply By: Member - Mal - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 16:07

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 16:07
Dunny,
To answer your last question first: there was a guy named Ozi who often answered questions with questions which really got on Truckster's goat. I was just being facetious.

The trouble with camping right down the bottom is that you get very restricted by tides if you are wanting to go somewhere and get back the same day. I think it is best to camp somewhere in the middle between Eurong and Cathederal Beach. Personally, I camp in the Indian Head/Waddy point area. Seems to me there is more to do up the northern end.

Places to go: Central Station, Lake Mc Kenzie,Lake Wabby in one day. Indian Head, Waddy Point, Champagne Pools in one day. A run up to Sandy Cape is a good days run but watch the tides. There are heaps of tracks and lakes to see with very diverse forests and other flora.

When you buy your permit you will get info on dingos. Take it very seriously!!! The dingos can open eskies, will enter tents and campervans looking for food. You can't even leave a bait bucket on the beach unattended. All food must be in your closed vehicle or campervan or secured with locks and chain in eskies. The Rangers have been told to be tough and there are some incredable fines.

Your Jayco should be OK. Let your 6 tyres down to 15-20psi to get on and off the barge and time your arrival for just before or right on low tide. I generally let mine down to 15psi and leave them there for the full time.

Don't forget the police have RBT and speed guns on the island and if you see a toyota troopie coming towards you it is probably full of european tourists and they generally aren't very good drivers in the particular situation of sand driving.

Apart from all that have a great time.

Mal T.
AnswerID: 12613

Follow Up By: Member - Greg - Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:56

Friday, Feb 07, 2003 at 11:56
Dunny,I agree totally with Mal. We have towed a Jayco Swift the one just a little smaller than the Eagle,with an '87 4runner TD.No problems,let all your tyres down to 15 to 20 psi. If you are going to get stuck it is more likely on the Inskip Point end.Pick your travel times to correspond with the low tides.. Have a great time Regards Greg G
FollowupID: 7401

Reply By: Dunny - Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 16:15

Thursday, Feb 06, 2003 at 16:15
Mal

Thanks for the great advice, I will put it into action and will hopefully have a great stay.

Dunny
AnswerID: 12615

Sponsored Links