Bogaard Turbo Timers/ Turbo Upgrade 5L Motor/ Fridge Slide

Submitted: Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 21:21
ThreadID: 32492 Views:5194 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I am considering buying a Bogaard turbo timer for my aftermarket turboed 1999 Hilux 3.0ltr diesel dual cab. I have a friend who has a 724/LC100 model timer for sale and am wondering if this is the model for my hilux. Have visited Bogaards site but it doesn't say anything about model numbers for the 5L (3.0ltr) motor, just the 1KZTE motor for which this model will fit. My motor is a 2/99 vintage. Any help would be much appreciated.
If anyone is considering a turbo upgrade for their 5L motor, I had a denco with exhaust fitted and instead of sitting in 3rd/ 2nd gear going up the southern side of the Cardwell range in Nth Qld, I now do it in 5th/ 4th quite easily.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hems - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 21:46

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 21:46
P.S. Forgot about the fridge slide bit, have built my own fridge slide for my Chescold 3 way fridge (big sucker! the fridge that is) If anyone is interested in photos please attach your email address and will gladly send them. Fits in the rear of my 99 hilux dual cab and has made life so much easier. Would be interested in hearing from anyone who has made drawers for the rear of the hilux dualcabs as I have leftover drawer slides and think that this would be a good way to utilise them.
AnswerID: 164635

Follow Up By: marly8120 - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 21:03

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 21:03
Hi

I am interested in seeing the photos of your fridge slide.

Cheers

Lyall
FollowupID: 421145

Follow Up By: Hems - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 06:25

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 06:25
Lyall,
If you'd like to send me your email address I'll send you the pics
Glen
FollowupID: 421217

Follow Up By: marly8120 - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 20:38

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 20:38
Hi

My email address is lyallgrey@hotmail.com

Cheers
FollowupID: 421414

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 21:53

Monday, Apr 03, 2006 at 21:53
I had a Boggard turbo timer on my last vehicle (GQ with Safari turbo). Nothing wrong with the timer, but I would seriously question whether it's really needed. I have not fitted one to my current Patrol, which had a Denco upgraded turbo fitted last year to replace the standard unit.

Instead of a timer, I've opted for an EGT gauge. I have 2 thermocouples fitted; one above the turbo in the exhaust manifold which I use 99% of the time....the other is in the dump pipe, just below the turbo. I would expect that your Denco system would have a ready-made plug in the dump pipe to take the thermocouple.

For the most part it is not normally necessary to allow a cool-down period of time for your turbo. I work on the basis of 200oC in the manifold as a switch-off temp. Most of the time, by the time I pull up, the temp is down to this level anyway and i can switch off straight away. The only time I need to sit for a little while (about 30 seconds tops) is if I've come in off the highway at high speed, and have to pull up within a minute or so of dropping speed back to 60k/h.

The EGT gauge is FAR MORE useful than a timer. Also, with a timer, you are technically not allowed to leave the vehicle whilst it is still running anyway.

IMHO a timer is a waste of $$$$

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 164637

Follow Up By: Hems - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 06:54

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 06:54
Thanks for the replies roachie and Brian. Do you remember what it cost you to set this up, were you able to source the equipment yourself and fit it? Thanks again
Hems
FollowupID: 419566

Follow Up By: David from Engine Saver Low Water Alarms - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 07:17

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 07:17
Try this link: www.thermoguard.com.au/index.html

I am sure Ian will be able to steer you in the right direction.
FollowupID: 419567

Follow Up By: Hems - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 07:25

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 07:25
Thanks mate, very interesting. Will follow this option up as well.
Regards
Hems
FollowupID: 419568

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:14

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:14
Hems,
David is right....Ian is very easy to deal with. Fitting is very easy, especially if you already have the tapped hole in the dump pipe. When I first fitted mine I didn't have the new Denco upgraded turbo/dump pipe, so I had nowhere to fit the thermocouple. On Ian's advice,I got a hole drilled and tapped into the manifold, just before it joins the turbo. This gives a more "accurate" reading of what gas temps are hitting the turbo, which is, after all, what you need to know. The temp readings in the dump pipe can be up to 140oC lower than the manifold. It was a real eye opener to me.......I'd always thought a turbo 'created' heat; whereas it actually absorbs/dissipates heat from the exhaust.
I quoted some figures above, for temps that I work off before switching the motor off. Please bear in mind that these temps are what I'm reading in the manifold, not what you'd be expecting in the dump pipe. If using this set-up with only the dump-pipe thermo-couple, I'd be suggesting a shut-down temp of around 180oC or thereabouts......but Ian will know more about that.
Just while on the subject of monitoring your motor, David has been very professional by not mentioning his own product in this response......... I have no interest in his company/firm, but I am a satisfied customer and I drive with a renewed sense of comfort/confidence now that I have one of his Low-Water Alarms fitted to my top radiator hose too. Thsi is another easily fitted component that I can thoroughly recommend.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 419576

Follow Up By: bombsquad - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:39

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:39
Although mine is from ond of David's competitors, I have also fitted a low coolant alarm in my GU. I learnt the hard (and expendsive) way. My local ARB blaoke and I had a good laugh at how a lot of modern cars have a sensor in the windscreen washer bottle but none in the radiator. Cheaper to clean a windscreen than rebuild a motor...

Cheers Andrew
FollowupID: 419581

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 06:33

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 06:33
I have an after market turbo'd GQ and looked into turbo timers, but like Roachies says.... an EGT is FAR more useful IMHO. And the longest I have sat waiting for the temp to drop to 200 Deg C is about a minute and a half.... Mine is a manual and I can't bring myself to park it in neutral and leave it running till a timer switches it off.
AnswerID: 164658

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:21

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:21
I have a turbo timer, but am looking at installing an EGT.

As Roachie and the others have said, an EGT is useful for a lot of things, including knowing what is happening when hard running, and gives a more accurate picture when you do want to shut down.

AnswerID: 164678

Sponsored Links