Strange noises from beneath

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:13
ThreadID: 32500 Views:1852 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

I've got a rather strange noise coming from the drivers side front wheel. It's sounds like a wheel bearing noise, but the wheel bearings have been recently repacked. I've checked to make sure that I haven't accidently left the hubs locked in & it's not the brakes... I thought it may have been a suspension noise, so I greased up all me nipples, but that had no joy either. Is there anything else that would make that kinda noise?

Thanks
Ben.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bros 1 - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:17

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:17
Ben P,
In my experience, greasing up nipples only created more noise. LOL.
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 164677

Follow Up By: hz75 - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 17:47

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 17:47
and work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 419692

Reply By: Member JD- Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:25

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:25
Hi Ben P,
My wheels make an ungodly noise when the pads (brake) are worn to the limit.worth a look.Hope this helps.
JD
AnswerID: 164679

Reply By: Member - uncle - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:25

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:25
Hi Ben I had a very squeaky loud noise coming from the front end of the Paj a while ago,it only happened when the car was on full lock and moving.Traced it to the bump stops on the steering.It was metal to metal,smeared some grease on and wala!! comes back now and then but just pull out finger full of grease and alls quiet again.
AnswerID: 164680

Follow Up By: Member - Ben P (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:45

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:45
Thanks Uncle & JD, I might have another look tonight, whip the wheels off & check the brakes again just to make sure.

Cheers,
Ben
FollowupID: 419583

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:46

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 08:46
There'snothing like a finger of grease, eh?
FollowupID: 419584

Reply By: Bilbo - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 09:27

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 09:27
Ben,

This is a cut 'n paste from Post ID 28683, that I did last year. Like you I had a 1989 Ford Mav at the time (sometimes I wish I still had it!). NB - it's a cut 'n paste within a cut 'n paste!!

Cut 'n paste starts (again):

I'm not sure if the new Patrols ahve the same front end set up as the old ones, but here's what I found on my old 1989 GQ Maverick (Nissan) ute. It's an edited reprint from a rely I made on the forum last year. Hope it helps.

Copy 'n past start.............."inside the front locking hub there is a spacer ring. It's easy to get access to it. Just remove the Allen screws (11mm metric) and tap off (gently) the outer hub. Inside there you'll see the locking clutch. Around the outside of that clutch is very thin steel ring that looks like part of the whole assemby. It isn't. It fits between the aluminium outer casing and the inner clutch asembly. These rings can 'catch' on the clutch hub and create high temperatures through friction. When they are really dry and 'catching' they can make a very elusive rattling sound. It took me weeks to track this noise down when it happened to me. Just remove the ring and have a look at it. If it looks burnt or scarred then it's 'catching'. Rub down the high spots on the inside of the ring and on the outside of the clutch assembly with fine emery cloth or wet 'n dry pape, put some grease on it and put it back. Be careful with removing & replacing the circlip. It's tricky........."

Cut 'n Paste ends

I had to do that way out in the bush. It was driving me insane listening to that noise. I sat on the bonnet of the truck whilst my son drove. Hanging onto the bull bar over the front of the truclk............listening, listening..........I musta been mad but I found it.

BILBO

Cut 'n Paste ends again!

Bilbo
AnswerID: 164692

Follow Up By: Member - Ben P (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 09:38

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 09:38
Bilbo, I think I owe you a beer mate... Looks like I'm clearing the schedule for tonight...

Cheers,
Ben
FollowupID: 419591

Follow Up By: Bilbo - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:31

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 10:31
Ben,

I hpe that fixes the problem. The noise in mine was more of "chattering" sound than the "buzzing" sound of a worn wheel bearing.

Wheel bearing don't rattle - they whine or "buzz".

The wheel bearings in the GQs are, like almost everything else on 'em - bulletproof.

The only other issue that I had was the drivers side front disc caliper used to stick and wear out a set of pads within 100km!! Used to chew the bejeezzus out of the disc rotor - metal to metal in no time. But you don't know that's happening until it's too late and you can hear the metal pad backing scraping on the rotor.

I drink "Carlton Black" ;)

Good luck

Bilbo
FollowupID: 419598

Follow Up By: Member - Ben P (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:17

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:17
That's really wierd coz when i bought my maverick it had a deep scores on both sides of the disk rotors and both sides of the car... like the caliper had stuck a bit. i had to put new discs in as it was deep enough so it couldn't be machined out.

Listening to it, it doesn't sound like a bearing noise... like a whining noise. It might be a combination of noises too, that spacer ring & the calipers joining forces.

Cheers,
Ben
FollowupID: 419605

Reply By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:22

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 11:22
G'day Ben,
I just went through this with the 98 GU, not sure if the GQ is set up the same way but on the GU there is an 'early warning system' on the brake calipers that lets you know your pads are getting low.
When your pads get to a certain thickness there is a thin piece of metal that scrapes lightly in the outside of the rotor to let you know it's time for new pads, if you're like me and don't know about it, trying to figure what this light scraping noise is, is a bloody nightmare.
Might be worth checking.

Avagoodn
Pezza
AnswerID: 164705

Follow Up By: Sea-Dog - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 15:11

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 15:11
I was just about to say the same thing.... just give the little flaps of metal a bit of a bend away from the disc and give it a go... What a lot of people hear is when they go around a corner the disc moves over very slightly and makes contact with these warning tabs....

Just don't bend them out of the way completely if you are not going to do a pad change as they are to warn you off chewing out your rotors at metal on metal..

Cheers
FollowupID: 419662

Reply By: Mal58 - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 15:27

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 15:27
Ben,
Have you been off road of late ? Check the simple things first, you might have some mud, a stick or even a peice of gravel caught on top of the caliper or on the metal backing plate behind the disk.

These things in my experince makes some wonderful grinding noises.

Cheers,
Mal
AnswerID: 164758

Reply By: tonysmc - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 18:14

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 18:14
Ben, I know is going to sound strange but if you have a speedo "cable" ie; not electric, disconnect it at the gearbox and go for a drive. You'll be amazed at the strange noises they can make and where they sound like they are coming from. Your noise being front drivers side is right where a speedo cable would run up to the dash. Might be a quick thing to test before doing too much work elsewhere.

Good luck Tony
AnswerID: 164791

Reply By: Member - Ben P (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 12:53

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 12:53
Hi everyone, thanks for all your input... I know what I'm be doing this weekend that is besides going to the 4x4 show.

Thanks,
Ben
AnswerID: 165248

Sponsored Links