Navigation System...

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 14:48
ThreadID: 32515 Views:3844 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone anything to say in regard to the Navigation System sold by these people.
It looks good, It looks inexpensive, but does it deliver? I'm thinking and have been for some time re getting a navigation system that uses my laptop so that I can actually see what is on the screen...Track Ranger is the name...

www.advantechdesign.com.au/index.html
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 15:17

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 15:17
Know nil about them mate , Depends on what you want to do with it ,for instance a Navman to my knowledge can't be connected to a laptop and was talking to another person in my work that has a Navman and he;s not happy with it, I use Garmin, a Quest and a Gps map176C [now obsolete ,replaced by Map 276C ] and they DO work the other top Brand is Magellan , Both work with OziExplorer, Actually I would like to oneday upgrade to the 276C , It does all and is amazing , check out the specs and prices at this link , they are in Brisbane and Melbourne and internet buying is ok , I have used it .
www.ja-gps.com.au/
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 164755

Reply By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 16:05

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 16:05
OziExplorer does the same thing (and probably more), is cheaper, is better supported and used by more people (so "expert" advice is not far away). You can also download a demo/trial version - which has most functions so you can sus it out before purchase. Based on the responses to previous queries regarding TrackRanger on this forum I get the impression not many people use it...and I also suspect a few of the posts are by 'associates' of TrackRanger trying to drum up some business.

Having said all that I think TrackRanger is getting better (at least price is coming down to something reasonable) and worth a look...but dont forget to compare with OziExplorer before purchasing.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 164768

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 17:41

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 17:41
Had a look at the site... Just curious if this is an Australian product why do we have to pay for it in US$$$
It works out much more expensive than Track Ranger to buy but does have the ability to use your own scanned maps....
FollowupID: 419689

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 18:27

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 18:27
Hello - I assume Des sells it in US dollars as this is the world "standard" currency (whether you like it or not) and while the product is produced in Australia it is sold world wide (because it is so good). Not sure what exchange rate you used but $85 US = about $121 AUD (assuming exchange rate of .70). Then add GST (10%) = $133 AUD – Trackranger is $199…so OziExplorer is about $63 cheaper than Trackranger. How does this equate to “It works out MUCH more expensive than Track Ranger to buy”??????????

Or you could just purchase it at this place – they look trustworthy enough
OziExplorer Exploroz Shop and save a few more bucks.

Also it is possible to use your own scanned maps in Trackranger..but you have a bit less freedem with respect to projections that are supported compared to OziE..from what I can figure.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 419703

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 16:36

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 16:36
Use ozexplorer too. Brisbane developed system and seems to be good support and development. Did look at trackranger at the time, as a novice I couldn't see that much difference.

Track ranger seems to be similar.
There does seem to be a couple of people on this forum who use it.
Have you done a forum search?

Just remember, both these systems depend on you buying maps.
Neither of these systems supply maps.
AnswerID: 164771

Follow Up By: Mr Fawlty - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 17:43

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 17:43
Yes I'm aware that you need maps & a GPS that will give NMEA data...
FollowupID: 419690

Reply By: capt - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:08

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:08
I've used Trackranger since V2.x (a few years ago) and I've found it to be a good product. I compared Trackranger and Oziexplorer at the time and went the Trackranger path for a couple of reasons. a) seemed easier to setup/use with Natmap 1:250 000 maps with which I primarily use it (I read about lots of hassles with Oziexplorer at the time). b) Advantechdesign are a software business with products other than Trackranger in the marketplace and that commerical necessity is reflected in the quality of the product (features/easy to use/reliable/consistent interface/good support etc) and the product isn't just a backyard labour of love effort.

Since purchase Trackranger has done all I've wanted it to do and has proven to be reliable and easy to use. Over the years it has been updated, some of the new features are useful, others no so. Both products I'm sure meet most of our needs so please ignore the parochial views expressed in the posts on this site. As to cost they are both very cheap compared to the navigation software (Maxsea) I use on my boat and are a bargain :-)

Jeff
AnswerID: 164843

Sponsored Links