Which HF Aerial

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 19:20
ThreadID: 32524 Views:2244 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
which HF radio aerial do most of you use with the Codan autotune, the fibre glass one or the SS whip, when you are on the open road?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 19:27

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 19:27
Greetings

I use the fibre glass wip with the spring mount. According to the manual the SS wip is the secondary (spare) antenna.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 164805

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 19:35

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 19:35
Same here. F/glass with spring base.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 164811

Reply By: Member - Loco Locums - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 20:48

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 20:48
Hi Cobber,
We have been using the fibreglass whip and heavy spring, however we had to mount our 9350 on the front of our LC100 series on the bull bar . We find the fibreglass whip does the job well, but is a little distracting when it comes to scenery.

The Codan supplied SS whip is a 1.2 metre job in comparison to the 1.5 metre fibre glass. This means that the extra length will enable it to tune 2020 and the shorter SS whip won't.

I have just purchased a 1.5 metre SS whip for the Codan 9350 and being very flexible, it doesn't need the spring. It is a lot easier on the eyes and nearly invisible, whilst being the same length as the fibreglass whip, it also tunes the full band spread of 2-30 Mhz.

For our situation the SS whip works well and we still travel with the fibreglass whip and spring stored away in the Kimberly Kamper in case it's needed.

Hope this helps
Regards
Rick & Julie
AnswerID: 164835

Follow Up By: MichaelR - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:05

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:05
Rick and Julie
Could you please let me know where you got your 1.5m ss aerial from, its cost and is it as effective as the fibreglass aerial? The shorter one certainly isn't.
Thanks
FollowupID: 419739

Follow Up By: Member - Loco Locums - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:28

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:28
Hi Michael,
Yes OK on the SS whip...I got it from Graham at Bushcomm in WA. Or should I say his able assistant Kellie as Graham is always too busy for pack n post.

The cost for the new SS whip is $33.00 and it just screws straight on to the 9350 antenna..just tell them that it's a Codan 9350 that you want the whip for as they also do them for the Barrets as well.

They will post in a Auspost tube and I think it was around $10.00 for the 5 -7 days delivery option.
Check out their web site at " target="EOF" class="lbg">www.bushcomm.com.au/PRICES.htm
Then look on the menu bar on the left and click "Online Pricelist".. the whips are at the bottom of the list.

They also sell the HD springs for $33.00 as well.

Hope this helps
Regards
Rick & Julie
FollowupID: 419749

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:15

Tuesday, Apr 04, 2006 at 21:15
Cobber,

Don't know if you realise but the fibreglass one is basically a fishing rod supporting a wire up the middle with a flash stainless bottom and top on it. Give it a shake and you can hear it rattle around.

I use an RFI tapered stainless whip which is within 25mm of the same length as the fibreglass whip.

Any wire whip is going to be as effective as long as it is the same or very similar length. The length affects radiation and tuning frequencies.

Mine is great in the trees, carparks and even the garage at home. Stays on all the time. Since I put it on I have never taken it off.

I just drilled out a bolt that fitted the thread in the spring to suit the 2.5mm base of the whip and tapped a grub screw in the side. This means I can use that but carry the glass whip tucked away as a spare and it's an easy changeover.

The whip is 2.5mm at the base tapering to 1mm at the top with a moulded top on it.

I use mine on an NGT but the one I made for Luxoluk worked just as well on his 9323 - even after he twisted it into a corkscrew in the trees. It straightened out fairly well. Better than the f'glass one he broke the top off.

Dave
AnswerID: 164847

Sponsored Links