4runner heads

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 01:00
ThreadID: 32534 Views:1660 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi all

does anybody have any or have any idea(especially if your in the trrade) what a set of heads are worth,
a:\ to be reconditioned
b:\ to get 2nd hand and then a:\ if they are cracked

and part c:
if the heads have been blown and driven for a while(looking at buying a 4runner that has) will it damage the engine or not?

A mate said if it has been driven for a while and has been just topped up water/oil as the guy(seller) said....an engine is meant to have oil through it not water.
will it cause damage

d:\so am I up for a total rebuild...what am I looking at?

Thanks again
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kata - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 01:24

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 01:24
oops forgot to say its the 3L V6 heads
AnswerID: 164903

Reply By: madcow - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 07:18

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 07:18
I used to own one and sold it privately. It had just had the 80,000km service done and the new owner was very happy! One month later it blew up due to the head problem and associated bottom end damage and it was later found out there was a recall and factory rectification only when the damage had occured. My local dealer never mentioned that fact. Nevertheless it was given a full reco and with 12 months warranty the new buyer was very happy and still has it 8 years later with no more issues.

They are a pretty expensive little motor! It may be cheaper to slip a 3.8l V6 holden donk into it!
It was a good vehicle!

cheers
AnswerID: 164915

Reply By: Kiwi B - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 08:36

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 08:36
Dunno about life on this Island but the Kiwi's had a recall on the head-gaskets on 130 series 4runner, NZ new only. Know of one with 200,000 kms that scored a full overhaul under warranty.

If it hasn't been cooked, there's a fair chance it's only gasket leak.

Good luck.
AnswerID: 164934

Reply By: sam_84h - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 19:26

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 19:26
i had one with 250000kms, it had had the warrenty work done on it before i got it. unfortunatly the radiator had a hole in it and even more unfortunately was that my sister was not so good at checking the temp gauge.

piston at the rear passnger side was full of water. Head gasket was stuffed.

Head was not cracked, but it was scratched, had both heads shaved and cam shafts re-fitted for about $300-$400 plus a $100 gasket kit, yeah, you have to buy the whole kit.

It prob took half a day to get the heads out, and half a day to put them back in. if you do it yourself you will need a torque wrench.

You'd never guess it, my sister (she had bought the vehicle by this stage) took it swimming in mud and got it bogged... a month later. Oil was full of water, thankfully it was not coolant but instead it came in through the intake... another isue in its self!

a good engine... fidly though.
SAM
AnswerID: 165060

Sponsored Links