Shonky diesel ruins fuel injection pump?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 05:35
ThreadID: 32535 Views:2653 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I noticed the other day that diesel was leaking out of my Toyo 80 series 1HZ diesel. Took it to mechanic, and he reckons he has seen quite a few lately with same problem. Reckons it is caused by this "new" cleaner diesel that is being sold almost everywhere now. I must say that the pump was dry as a bone until about a month ago and now has leaks coming from three separate gaskets all at once. Seems like it would be unprobable to develop a leak from three separate gaskets all at once. Engine has never overheated, and I use about 12.8 litres per 100 km. Now with the leak, I probably use half a litre more per 100 km. It makes a puddle about the size of a CD on the ground every time I park the car.
Anyway, apparently the pump has to be removed and overhauled, which sounds like a big job as timing belt etc have to come off.
Does anyone have any other suggestions, such as changeover pump or even a wrecked one? What should this cost to repair or replace?
Thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Redeye - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 05:57

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 05:57
Shaggy,

My Surf had to have the pump repaired for leaks a few years back due to the low sulphur diesel. That was here in Brisbane. BP payed for it. It happened to older vehicles.

Someone else may have more detail.

Redeye
AnswerID: 164908

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 07:47

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 07:47
Just had to do my pump last year in Brisbane.
1996 2.8l TD Pajero. 260,000k
Seals gone. Reputable diesel pump repairer in Brisbane and he reckoned it could be the low sulphur diesel. It did go from 2000 to 500 a few years ago. Bit of seal wear too. Only seals replaced.

Investigated making a claim on BP etc, no good. Too late, they have closed the books.
AnswerID: 164921

Reply By: warthog - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:53

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:53
I think the type of rubber used in the seals of older pumps doesn't like low sulfur diesel and will probably like ultra low sulphur 50ppm less. I guess any older pump you got 2nd hand will soon leak as well. Has happened to a mates 80 series 1hz and he has been told pump needs to come off as well. $$$ }-(
AnswerID: 164960

Reply By: Rigor - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:07

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:07
Unless the pump was old and worn out you should only need new seals , admittedly the pump has to be fairly well dismantled to fit te new seals and one may take the opportunity to rebuild the pump and part of that is re-calibrating as well. Only cost me $200 to get new seals and a re=cal.

Dave L.
AnswerID: 164962

Reply By: udm - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 18:47

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 18:47
This new diesel thing is a BIG F%^$*P, in 2 months i have had my car, my brothers car, and a friends car with leaks, the last one as been an imported surf, is going to cost the bloke from $1100 to $1800 to fix.
AnswerID: 165049

Reply By: rv129 - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 19:43

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 19:43
Hi Shaggy
If the pump is leaking from the top cover only(this is the most common leak point)it will leak down over pump giving the impression that there are lots of leaks. This is an easy fix. A new rubber gasket can be fitted without pulling the pump off. Few tricks to watch for so get someone thats done it before. Early diesel pumps had rubber seals and post had neoprene seals for low sulfur diesel. after a while the old ones shrink and leak.
AnswerID: 165065

Follow Up By: shaggy - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 04:16

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 04:16
Hi rv129,
had it at the mechanic, and he cleaned it all up with degreaser, water and compressed air. He then revved the motor and there was deffinitely 3 areas of leaks. One at the top gasket towards front of engine, one leak on the side and underneath the top gasket one, and one from what looks like a welsh plug on the outer side of pump. There is probably some leaks that are not even visible on the engine side of the pump.
This is outrageous that they can change a fuel and cause problems with seals. That would be like changing from leaded to unleaded fuel without offering any lead replacement additives. I may have to have a chat to some automotive bodies and find out what the story for compensation is.
Thanks all
Shaggy
FollowupID: 420009

Sponsored Links