Gas Fridge

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 16:05
ThreadID: 32552 Views:2510 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

Its wet and cold in melbourne which brings me to the subject of fridges.

I've read heaps here on various solutions using 12v fridges , however there does not seem to be a great deal of data comparing fridges that run on gas.

So can I as for your thoughts on what gas fridges are about and what you would suggest as a reasonable quality brand/ model

Any info of gas consumption rates and the suchlike would be welcome.

The reason I want to consider gas for a fridge is that I can greatly expand the period that I can be "silently independant" whilst away from mains power ... I recon at the moment a couple of days is all I can manage without using a genny to re-charge , if I can offload the fridge to Gas I think I can extend this greatly...

Any thoughts

john
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mudness - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 17:01

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 17:01
G'day John, I run a 50ltr chestcold (chest type) and a 90ltr electolux (upright) in my camper trailer. I bought them both new about about 12 years when living in Port Hedland and used them regularly on trips throughout the Pilbara, NT, Central Deserts and NW QLD. (they get a pretty rough ride in the trailer and have given no trouble, touch wood) As a rule I do not run them when traveling (they are very heavy on 12vlt and unless you turn them off at every stop you will run your batteries down quickly). I have found that I can travel 6-7hours without things warming up or defrosting too much before camping and turning them back on. They have a few drawbacks but nothing too serious. Don't expect them to performe as good as engel's, weaco's etc, particularly in the hotter climates and they must be set up level with good ventelation to work efficiently. With this in mind, I always have cold beer and cold or frozen tucker. The big plus, in my opinion, is the ability to camp in the one spot for weeks without worrying about gennies, solar or regularly starting you vehicle. Good luck, I'm sure you will get plenty of feedback on your post.
AnswerID: 165024

Reply By: Rocky_QLD - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 17:25

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 17:25
Hi John

Like the previous post we have a 50lt Chestcold which we swear by, whilst camping near Narabri in NSW last Dec/ Jan we had no truble at all in 40+ degrees during the day every day. We made ice each night in those plastic ice cube thingos, used 4 lt of gas over 8 days. The trick is to keep all the vents clear. we have ours sitting on a light weight alumium stand.

Rocky
AnswerID: 165034

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 18:32

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 18:32
Hi Atropos - we run the standard Electrolux 3 way.
On 240V the night before - gets the chemicals moving.
An anderson plug from Car to camper with heavy cable (16sqmm copper) runs it on 12V while driving - and recharges camper battery; then gas at campsites.
Have done a 2 week trip recently used about 9kgs gas in total -that includes cooking; fridge and H/W system.
The computer fans on the fins to extract the heat makes a huge difference in all these heat exchaneg type fridges...........Keith
AnswerID: 165046

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 20:17

Wednesday, Apr 05, 2006 at 20:17
Yes the Chescold by Electrolux is a great fridge, you can get 3 days to a week out of a 2KG bottle. Once they're cranking they work great. Occassionally some come up on Ebay for a good price.
AnswerID: 165075

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 05:25

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 05:25
I have a chescold as well and they are great for longer trips...keeps the meat frozen and the beer very cold
AnswerID: 165140

Sponsored Links