CSR Fuel Drop

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:35
ThreadID: 32572 Views:3004 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, A have a mate doing the Canning Stock route in a few weeks and he has organised a fuel drop at well 23 for his thirsty 100 series V8. He asked me what is the best way to transfer the fuel from the drum. Having not done this i could not give him an answer. So some replies would be welcome. Many thanks in anticipation. Michael.
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:49

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:49
Michael,

Couple of options, either a rotary pump, or air pump, the latter being the lighter. The drum pumps I'm familiar with are either 1L/turn($350-400), or a smaller one, with either half or third/litre per turn.($200??)

Air pumps can be made up easily, though I think there is a commercial one available. Only need about 5 psi to transfer the fuel across. A "spear" into the drum, with 2" BSP thread on it, and a tyre valve fitting braised onto the set-up to pressurise the drum. Did make up one once, that had a bung, 3/4", for the small bung, that had the air fitting on it. Could use Kamlok fittings to make the setup easier to pack away.

Seeing it's a petrol, I'd be using "proper" fuel hose, to reduce chance of static build up. Or an earth wire, from drum to vehicle. Can be quite high in dry climates, like the CSR.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 165172

Follow Up By: Bob Creasy - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:59

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 08:59
they are handpumps left at well 23 check with Capercorn
FollowupID: 420031

Reply By: mattie - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:14

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:14
Hi Michael
I bougght a hella submersable 12v pump 10yrs ago that i use for pumping diesel have seen them used for pumping petrol. It was about $80 can't remember how many ltr/min but a lot faster than a hose and in your case the 200ltr drum is to heavy to elevate(it is about 5'' long and 1"1/2 round, fits in 20ltr oil drums, with barbed ends to attach 12mm hose).

Mattie
AnswerID: 165180

Reply By: scoof - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:33

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:33
If no pumps the well.I have just used jiggler hose bought from repco.May have to add longer hose .
Then just syphon into jerry cans , I would say he will have a few jerry's .When almost down to the last couple of jerry's you can lift the drum onto your spare wheel or something to elevate the drum to get the last 40-50 litres.
No pumps takeing up valuable space.
AnswerID: 165188

Reply By: Longreach - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 10:25

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 10:25
I've wondered how fuel drops on the CSR work. Are they just left and labelled for whoever ordered them on a particular day ? I assume it relies on the integrity of other travellers ? If you dont have a fuel drop, what max range do you need between fuel supplies ?
AnswerID: 165204

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 13:37

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 13:37
Longreach,
As I understand it, fuel needs to be ordered from Capricorn Roadhouse (Newman) several weeks in advance of one's ETA at w23..
Presumably, frequency of deliveries would depend on demand.. It would not be worth his while making the trip unless he had a reasonable load...
Tops of drums are painted w/- recipients' names, and yes, it does indeed rely on the integrity of other travellers...
One occasionally hears (albeit 2nd hand) reports of fuel being stolen from there
(apparently the 2 blokes who died near Georgia Bore last year were intending to do just that), but overall, I think the risk is minimal...

See my post (below) re alternative supply....
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 420092

Follow Up By: Longreach - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 14:58

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 14:58
Thanks Ed.
FollowupID: 420133

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 12:21

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 12:21
I know this doesn't address the question, but IMO, a worthwhile alternative to a fuel drop at w23, is to allow a bit of extra time to do a side trip out to Rudall R. Nat. Park.....
Bit over 100k's (along the Talawana Track) from Georgia Bore to Parnngurr (Cotton Creek) community where visitors are welcome, & fuel (diesel) is available.. There is also a half-decent store if ya need to re-stock some basic foodstuffs etc.... From memory, I think they mighta had ULP available (pump from drums), but you'd need to check this...

When we were there ('05), the Nat. park was very dry & in need of a good soaking, &
waterholes had beed badly fouled by camels....
In view of recent weather events, this year might be a good time to pay a visit...
(when/if ya can get there;-))...

if interested, give 'em a call on (08) 9176 9009
Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 165236

Reply By: Member - John L G - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 13:19

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 13:19
Michael

Pumps are available at the fuel dump and are maintained by Capricorn road house who supply the fuel. Last time there a year ago, there was a rotary as well as a lift pump - both in good condition.

Drums are clearly marked with the name of the purchaser with diesel and petrol being in separate stacks. Obviously the system is reliant on people's honesty.

Fuel is also available at Kunawaradtji on the CSR but you will need to contact them prior and advise of your travel times and volumes/type of fuel you will require.

Have fun
AnswerID: 165258

Follow Up By: V8troopie - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 14:29

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 14:29
What should also be remembered is that the full drums are rolled off the big truck that carts them in and not always positioned upright. Now, to use the pump the drum ought to be upright. Not an easy task if you are going on in years a bit and don't want another hernia. We used a little hump to get the b...y drum upright but it was a real struggle and I was a lot younger back in '92.
Klaus
FollowupID: 420118

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:49

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:49
Thank you to all who replied, very imformative. regards Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 165358

Reply By: Tony J - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:57

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:57
Hi Michael,

We bought our fuel at Cotton Creek. They did have ULP available (we did wait 24 hoursfor the fuel truck to arrive).

Just a heads up - Had a look (photo op) at the fuel dump. One thing I noticed was the fuel pumps supplied were COVERED in dirt. The red dirt was all over the pumps, up the intake etc. Price was the same then, $2.20/litre for deisel from Cotton Creek and Capricorn Roadhouse. Funnily enough, was only $1.86 at Kalumbaroo and Drysdale River!

Tony
AnswerID: 165362

Reply By: Billowaggi - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 23:45

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 23:45
???? Why do you not just buy your fuel from the bowser at well 33- Kunawarajji comunity? Price is the same and you only have to get what you need, also no hassels with pumps and lifting 200kg drums! That is what I have done on my 3 Canning trips with no probs.
Regards Ken.
AnswerID: 165444

Follow Up By: Member - Ed. C.- Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 00:26

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 00:26
Ken,
You would of course be aware that Wiluna to Kunawarritji is close to 1000km, most of it over sandhills...
This does not take into account the many side tracks which people may wish to explore...

Not everybody can (or wants to) carry that much fuel..

regards, Ed. C.

Confucius say.....

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 420317

Follow Up By: Billowaggi - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:55

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:55
Hi Ed, between Wiluna and Halls Creek the well 33 fuel stop is approx half way, You cannot rely on getting fuel at Billiluna. The hardest [ highest] sand hills are between wells 23 and 33 so if heading north you will tackling them fully loaded with fuel.
Regards Ken.
FollowupID: 420373

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 08:21

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 08:21
Michael,

We had drums of diesel at well 23 waiting for us last year. Had GDT on the top and had no trouble getting the fuel out of the drums with the rotary hand pump that we brought with us.

Vic asked if I wanted a hand or 12v pump. I went for the hand pump. It may take a little longer but I didn't have to worry if it would work when required. The hand pumps at the site are very ordinary.

The drums were all standing up right buy we did have to move the vehicles around a little to get to the drums.

We will be doing the same again this year with a total of 9 vehicles.

Last year we had to leave some fuel because we could not get it all into our tanks, this year I will take some empty jerry cans and fill them with any excess fuel.

Wayne
AnswerID: 165488

Sponsored Links