cape york in sept-oct

Submitted: Monday, Jul 23, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 326 Views:1662 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
has anybody reliable info re cape york in sept-oct. I am planning a trip this year and have been told that it will be rained out and quite difficult to travel in that time. Weather charts show this period as dry - any comments.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2001 at 00:00
Well, the wet starts typically in November or December, but nothing is guaranteed - it *could* start early.

CY at this time of year, assuming a standard weather pattern, will be pretty dry and dusty for much of your trip. This will mean that the creek crossings will be easier, but the trip will be less scenic generally.

It will still be a great trip though - just make sure you bring a winch and some tarps ! :+)
AnswerID: 792

Reply By: Linda - ExplorOz team - Tuesday, Jul 24, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jul 24, 2001 at 00:00
Hi Eric, Agree with Joe. We did Cape York last year in August and the weather was fine but they usually say October is the end of the dry. Who knows with the weather this year as its been doing strange things with a lot of rain in the centre and North of WA. Based on personal experience, you should be fine as the wet season ended later than normal this season ie the dry may last longer as well as it seems to follow a pattern. Hope this helps and have a great trip. Linda (ExplorOz)
AnswerID: 795

Reply By: Leigh Booth - Thursday, Aug 02, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 02, 2001 at 00:00
Eric, I'll be up there in sept & oct and although they've had a bit of rain everywhere is still accessible although Chilli Beach will take a bit of getting thru to. Up to date road reports are available thru VKS 737 and if you ask they'll tell you.
AnswerID: 828

Reply By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Monday, Aug 06, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, Aug 06, 2001 at 00:00
I would be very interested in conducting a tag a long to the Cape that late if I could get at least 4 vehicles. If anyone is interested please let me know. Would be fun\interesting.
Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 855

Follow Up By: Malcolm - Thursday, Aug 09, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, Aug 09, 2001 at 00:00
I would be interested in being part of a 4WD convoy to Cape York either very late Sept or early Oct if you get one together. However I should let you know that my wife and I are novices at this, so.........don't know of you'd still be interested.

Malcolm
FollowupID: 249

Sponsored Links