Dipping High Beam

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:33
ThreadID: 32602 Views:2262 Replies:9 FollowUps:27
This Thread has been Archived
Hello - What are the rules (written or otherwise) regarding high beam/dipping lights when following/approaching other vehicles from behind. I have always dipped them if I can see the tail lights of a vehicle in front of me (no matter how far in front that maybe). Recently while driving at night I have had several instances of people driving up within several hundred metres of me with high beam on. Now I know current rear view mirrors have a dipping function to counteract resulting glare from lights shining from rear, but does that make dipping your lights redundant? The side mirrors still reflect. Is it understandable that I get grumpy about this or am I just getting old.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:37

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:37
not to use high beam if closer than 200 metres when following
AnswerID: 165353

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:46

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:46
Here is a handy spot for all Oz road rules
FollowupID: 420224

Follow Up By: Hairy - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 14:55

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 14:55
that depends on your lights!
FollowupID: 420455

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 15:05

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 15:05
I was quoting the law- it doesn't depend on your lights :-)

The law says no CLOSER than, so if you have good lights dip em earlier I guess is the message. Mr Plod says you have to have them dimmed if you are closer than 200 m
FollowupID: 420457

Reply By: Happy Little Camper - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:44

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:44
Hey Greg ...Not getting older ...... you happen to be in the old era of repecting each other on the road/beach/bush.
I have just turned 40 and with 4 young childred and all I can think is "heaven help this little bugger" society is turning to chit if you ask me.

no so happy little camper sometimes!!!
AnswerID: 165355

Reply By: Member - TPM (SA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:45

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:45
Hi Eplorer,

I am the same as you and show consideration, I dim if I can see tail lights. The 200 metre law really needs revising and light technology has come a long way ( no pun intended ) I used to be able to know if police were behind me as their lights were always brighter. Some people take great pleasure in letting you know they have lights that could melt paint off of a vehicle in the next state !!
The problem with those people is they give 4wders a bad name, eventually hi po lights may get banned ?

The fools always ruin it for the rest of us.

AnswerID: 165356

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:58

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:58
300 metres in Victoria, approaching or following, but should be as you do, if you can see the tail lights, dip.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 165364

Follow Up By: Crackles - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:29

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:29
Don't quite agree with dipping when you see someones tail lights as that can be as far as 2 kilometers away leaving you driving in a black hole until you catch up.
Instead I dip when my headlights illuminate the white post reflectors beside the car I'm following. 300m is the law so 600m is more than courteous.
Cheers Craig..........
FollowupID: 420289

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:48

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:48
Dipping to oncoming traffic in Victoria is 300 metres minimum, OR when the other driver dips his lights, no matter how far away he is!
FollowupID: 420296

Follow Up By: Crackles - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 23:19

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 23:19
We were just commenting on following others. How does one dip their tail lights anyway? Cheers Craig...........
FollowupID: 420306

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:32

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:32
Does the word "oncoming" mean anything to you?

The reply that we followed up said "approaching or following"
FollowupID: 420365

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:11

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:11
Greg,

I can if possible dip earlier than required, this has the advantage of letting my eyes adjust to the darker situation before I have the added pressure of working out whether the idiot (don't worry I treat you all like this, no disrespect) in the oncoming is on my side of the road or not. Same if I'm following someone, cause no doubt at the speeds I travel at, I will soon be wanting the same courtesy shown to me, and if they don't show this courtesy I tend to drive on the shoulder of the road WHERE ALL THE ROCKS ARE :-)))

Trevor.
AnswerID: 165371

Reply By: bombsquad - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:13

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:13
I usually go in stages if its on a long strait. I usually dip as soon as I see taillights, but with long straits combined with plenty of wildlife/cattle I sometimes turn the spotties off when tail lights are in the distance, and dip when I am a bit closer. I also get very frustrated with people with very poor lights or who drive on low beam on country roads at night, making it difficult to tell what the road conditions are ahead of them. Occasionally I will call up a roadtrain who is dipping his lights on straits and highbeaming when I am out of view telling him its ok to leave the high beams on - It can take a while to get out of sight after passing them.

Cheers Andrew
AnswerID: 165372

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:50

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:50
I also tell the trucks to keep the high beam on, just kill the spotties 'til I get a bit further ahead... No-one likes driving on country roads with no light.

I also dip as soon as I see tail lights and as you do just kill the spotties when circumstance dictates. It can be a fine line between courtesy & safety...
FollowupID: 420252

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:36

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:36
Remember the poor old Truckie can't move his Left mirror so basicly he gets a hit from each mirror , common courtesy should play a part there, Being an Ex Truckie I can write from experienceand really not many drivers use to get me irrate, just get that 1 nerd about every couple months , BUT another thing motorists should remember is and it don't matter if it;s a truck or a bike , DIP the lights just before you see his lights ,or when you see the glare over the hill/round a corner/ roof lights, I have a lot that leaves high on until they pop into view,and when one is tired it smarts up the old eyes a bit for the next minute or so,

Doug
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 165378

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 17:35

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 17:35
I get caught out by truckies a fair bit unlike most here in the West I like to dip my lights before they shine in the eyes but on hill roads (doesnt need to be that hilly ) the poor old truckys head is above the horizon well before his lights and seeing as they usually dip early too I sometimes miss them untill I see their lights in which time they have been dazzeled for a few seconds
FollowupID: 420491

Reply By: Sarg - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:21

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:21
I've got 2 55W floodlights mounted under the rear bumper that are independently wired, that are used as reverse when extra light is needed, (as the OEM are p... poor). These usually fix the problem of dis-courteous drivers. Also works well around town on these wankers with foglights on.
AnswerID: 165399

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:37

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:37
Me too. Works well dunnit!
FollowupID: 420291

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:46

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:46
One day you'll do it to a police car, then you'll know how good it is!
FollowupID: 420294

Follow Up By: Sarg - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 23:33

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 23:33
Yeah? well they should know better
FollowupID: 420309

Follow Up By: Nodoir - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 23:51

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 23:51
Man, I hate those foglight/driving light fellas also. I always give them some high beam to make a point.

Otherwise I am on the courteous side. I always drop high beam when coming up behind another and always before someone heading towards me.

FollowupID: 420313

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 08:34

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 08:34
If plod wants to drive up my arse with his high beams on, he deserves it same as anyone else.
FollowupID: 420347

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:18

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:18
Sarge +V8 , with your sentiments no freeking wonder that 4x4 drivers get a bad rap , having the extra reversing lights independantly wired will null and void any insurance that you have, dic- heads the pair of you.
FollowupID: 420360

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:52

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:52
Alloy, what's you're problem mate? Ever seen a.......

1. Ambulance
2. Police Car
3. Fire truck
4. Taxi
5. Rubbish truck
6. Any truck
7. ARB / TJM / ORE / OL catalogue
8. Council / shire vehicle
9. Mine vehicle
10. ............???????????/ need I go on.

Commercially registered, commercially insured vehicles are allowed to have work lights, in fact it is a requirement in many occupations for OHS (and commonsense). If someone is driving behind me at night with their high beam / spotlights on they'll cop a quick taste of their own medicine. It is no different to 'flashing' an oncoming driver who has neglected to dim his lights.

What would you suggest, write them a letter? Do a Yuri Gellar and 'will' their Lightforces off? Stop and fold alll my mirrors in?

Alloy, best scamper back inside and grab your floral umbrella and flock lined rubber boots, it would appear the sky is falling.
FollowupID: 420372

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 10:42

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 10:42
So V8 by your reconing 2 wrongs make a right ?? so when you flash your illegal reversing lights ,note I said reversing not work light , and you totaly blind the driver behind you ,you say thats ok ?? he or she deserves it for failing to dip their high beam ??? as I said before YOU are a d-ck head who gives 4x4 a bad name.
FollowupID: 420393

Follow Up By: Sarg - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 19:44

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 19:44
V8 , obviously Alloy d/h is one of these wankers we are talking about.
The floodlights I use are Hella 1533. 55W is no brighter than a standard low beam. These are designed to give a short ,wide area illumination. They are not spotlights as such that Alloy d/h mistakenly think that they are, but they do get the message across.
End of arguement
FollowupID: 420512

Follow Up By: Shaker - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 19:48

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 19:48
Rule 219.
Lights not to be used to dazzle other road users
A driver must not use, or allow to be used, any light fitted to or
in the driver’s vehicle to dazzle, or in a way that is likely to
dazzle, another road user.
Offence provision.
FollowupID: 420515

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 20:10

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 20:10
Sarge bet you are not game to use your "standard low beam 55w " on your arse when MR plod or the MRD /RTA is about ,are you , your just your "I dont give a ---- for the law or safety of others" type of d-ch head ,what message are u trying to get across ?? OOOOOW I own the road so dont f--k with me ,egomaniacs like youself belong in 1 of 2 places, Goal or the cemetery ,where your callus regard for other road users will end up, ,,{and just for your own info a very good mate of mine is now a paraplegic because some dic-he-d like YOU flashed on an illegal 55w light on the back of their 4x4 while doing 100klm ,total blindness for less than 5seconds} think about it while your arse gets stretched in goal.
FollowupID: 420524

Follow Up By: bombsquad - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 20:15

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 20:15
a quick flash will not dazzle, I wish there was some way to apologise when (on the rare occasion) I have been flashed due to being a bit slow - sometimes when someone is doing the right thing and dips early before the corner/crest, and I don't see them until a bit late. Sometimes I wish I could give a gentle reminder to vehicles behind me.......but sooner or later they pass......

Cheers Andrew
FollowupID: 420525

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 21:26

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 21:26
So lets get this straight Alloy. How about a quick hypothetical followed by a simple yes / no.

Q.1 - What do you do when driving at night and an oncoming vehicle has failed to dip his high beams / spots? (Have you ever driven in the country at night may be a more pertinent question to start off with come to think of it.)

Q.2 - Do you have correctly adjusted rearview and wing mirrors?

I await your response with interest.

FollowupID: 420546

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 21:45

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 21:45
V8 your hypothetical has ABSOLUTLY NOTHING to do with the fact you condone breaking the law with YOUR illegal lights , illegal lights that you use to blind drivers who are BEHIND you , Q1 ,yes I do drive in the country at night ,and when vehicles APPROACHING from the FRONT fail to dip their lights I curse and swear under my breath while averting my eyes down and left so as not to lose vision .
Q2 .and yes they are adjusted correctly ,, a short sharp tap on the brakes soon stops a h/beam/spot without BLINDING.
FollowupID: 420551

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 22:47

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 22:47
My hypothertical has a hell of a lot to do summing you up and seeing the cut of your jib Alloy. Got a new name for you now....FLANDERS!!!

The fact you advocate looking away from the road for any amount of time at a closing velocity of 220km/h clearly indicates what an incompetetant driver you must be. Even my neighbour's chook could tell you that is an idiotic, highly dangerous and grossly irresponsible course of action. Don't just sit there, DO SOMETHING you spanner. You simply cannot be for real can you?

Why curse under your breath....huh, what's that all about. God botherer by any chance are we Alloy? Let me give you the tip, old Hughie aint gonna help you when you put the Tojo and camper onto the shoulder at 100km/h.

Next one is just as ridiculous as the first. Hopping on the brakes!!! And you have the audacity to call me a bleep . Flanders, that's called roadrage...pure and simple.

Rather than continuing to criticise you Flanders (which is all too easy considering the ammunition you thoughtfully provide), I'll try and be constructive here. The conventional method employed by road users Australia wide to alert an oncoming vehicle which has failed to dim its headlights is a quick 'flash'. This technique is used frequently by the Police for this problem, as well as to alert drivers to other transgresions such as speeding etc.

Another one that may have evaded your limited intellect is the courtesy gesture of two flashes of the indicator when safely past a truck to say thankyou when they've sent you through using the same method. Bet you've never done that either.

Here's another - a quick flash of the lights when a triple or double road train has overtaken you to let the driver know the last trailer is clear. (Yes Virginia, there are times when truck overtake smaller vehicles).

Anyway Alloy, I'm sick of your childish and petulant attitude and aggressively rude postings. Go Baygon your glovebox or Glen Twenty the mudflaps or something. If that won't do it for you, Im sure you've got plenty of other things to do like writing letters of complaint to the council or local newspaper about trees that drop leaves or dogs that bark or children that park their bikes in the wrong spot at the shops etc. Take your self righteous whining, whinging and incessant bleating elsewhere you pencil necked twit.

BTW, for the record, my work lights are 100% legal on my commercially registered vehicle.

FollowupID: 420561

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 23:00

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 23:00
Sarg, I've got the twin 55W Hella worklight on a telescopic arm fitted to the back of my LHS Kaymar carrier. Great for reversing, especially with the trailer on and doubles as a you beaut work light for camping.

I swing the carrier 'open' which gives me unrestricted access to the tailgate and have a fold out table that sits next to the vehicle. This setup and the Hella at full stick, it provides a great spread of light - especially handy for cooking. I've set it up so it can switched from either the drivers seat or direct from the back carrier which is ideal.
FollowupID: 420564

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 23:18

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 23:18
V8 ,you have the hide to call a tap on the brakes "road rage" ,news for you pal you lighting up REVERSING LIGHT or as you so adamantly claim legal work light into the eyes of FOLLOWING vehicles is not only dangerous but downright stupid ,,as for "flashing" lights to ONCOMMING traffic to warn of a police presence ,,READ your road rules ,,is now a $180 +3points ,,yes there is courtesy ,not deliberatly BLINDING the vehicle behind you ,as I stated previously ,you are an irresponsible D-CKH-AD. try just try to justify YOUR causing the vehicle behind you to crash by your illegal actions.,, the car behind gives you the sh=ts because they failed to dip their lights so you think its ok to BLIND them ,,yeah right whatever ,during the day why dont you do the same to the tailgater ,4/5lt of oil ,or a kg of tacks ,get these people off my arse ,who gives a rats if I kill someone ,they were behind.
FollowupID: 420567

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 23:00

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 23:00
This thread needs moderating.
AnswerID: 165703

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 23:31

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 23:31
Well said Shaker, I agree and I am now self moderating.

Got better things to do.

V8 "out"
FollowupID: 420573

Sponsored Links