Schoolchildren rescued from snow

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 19:42
ThreadID: 32605 Views:1698 Replies:2 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Schoolchildren rescued from snow
Email Print Normal font Large font April 6, 2006 - 5:02PM

A group of hikers had to be rescued from freezing conditions in Victoria's high country following heavy early snowfalls.

The school group of 57 hikers returned to Mansfield about 2pm today after a convoy of four-wheel-drives was called in to rescue them from the Alpine National Park.

The group, from Girton Grammar school in the Victorian city of Bendigo, was forced to abort a five-day hike to Mount Howitt when unseasonal, icy weather set in a day before the trip was due to end.

Rural Ambulance Victoria spokesman John Mullen said rescue crews reached the hikers - including 52 year nine students and five teachers - at Lovick's Hut, east of the Mt Buller ski resort about 11.30am.

It took about 2-1/2 hours to transport the group back to Mansfield, with the vehicles negotiating 15cm of snow.

"They were given something nice and warm to eat and drink ... and are due back in Bendigo about 7-8 o'clock tonight," Mr Mullen said.

"They were cold and miserable but I think they were glad to get back down to Mansfield and get something nice and warm to eat."

Paramedics assessed the group but none - including a student with suspected hypothermia - needed treatment.

The rescue came after one of the party, a 14-year-old girl, was airlifted to Melbourne's Royal Children's Hospital yesterday afternoon, suffering an unspecified abdominal problem.

The hike is an annual event on the school's outdoor education calendar and the group was well-prepared.

Deputy principal Robyn MacCulloch said the students were safe and well and some were even disappointed to be rescued.

"They're tucking into pizza and soup as we speak," she said.

Ms MacCulloch downplayed the emergency, saying the hikers were never stranded.

"I think the whole thing is a little inflated because they were never really in any difficulty - it was just a decision that was made (to bring them out).

"They were never snowed in, they were never stranded, they could have just walked out, it was just a simple decision they don't have to, why put them through it?"

Ms MacCulloch said the hiking trip had been running for 20 years and would be reviewed this year but blamed the incident on unseasonal weather.

Bureau of Meteorology senior forecaster Geoff Kitchen said temperatures in the region dropped below zero for almost a day.

"It's -1 degree Celsius at the minute, so it's below freezing now, and it will have been below freezing since the cold front came through yesterday," he said.

Visibility was down to less than 15 metres at Mount Buller today.

AAP
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TPM (SA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:03

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:03
The ban four wheel drive clowns never read the good stories !

Its a pity those people never go outside the cities to experiance the real Australia like the children in the story.
AnswerID: 165368

Follow Up By: marklynn - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:24

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:24
TPM,
What brand is the bullbar on the Pathy? Have just bought a Pathfinder myself & are tossing up between an ARB bar & a TJM. Are you happy with the fit etc?

Mark
FollowupID: 420240

Follow Up By: Member - TPM (SA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:34

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:34
Hi Mark

Its a standard Nissan bar, Its a well made bar ( by ARB i beleive ) and fits well. The original spoiler is retained and cut to suit the bar.

This is where i was p**sed off with Nissan, Ihave the ST-L with the factory fog lamps, I asked if the bar retained them, answer YES. Good otherwise I will go with an ARB bar ( very nice unit no affect on warranty) on the web site the bar does not show lamps , are you sure ? YES comes with lamp recepticles
When I picked it up, no lamps !! Then told, one bar only no lamps.
It then took 30 minutes to "find" the fog lamps i had paid for originally.

Any how thats enough whinging, they paid for my 10,000 service as I was mislead.

I would go with the ARB if you have fog lamps otherwise the Nissan one is still very well made.

Always get a quote in writing !! I am a fool !
FollowupID: 420244

Follow Up By: marklynn - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:42

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:42
TPM,
Will most likely go with the ARB bar. It's $200 dearer than the TJM but looks to be better made & not as plain...read... ugly.

Thanks
FollowupID: 420247

Follow Up By: Member - TPM (SA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:42

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:42
Oops forgot to say it is a non winch bar. It is a winch bar though, it has punch out slots for winch controls. the mount for the rollers is there also.
It comes with a number plate braket that bolts to the roller plate.
I moved the plate up to the bumper section and put in mesh.This is to protect the intercooler from stones and to keep up air flow. If you check the ARB site you can see they mount the plate in the same spot.
Alloy mesh can be bought from any auto shop for approx 30 bucks. Remove the bottom bash plate to install it. Cit it to size with a carboard template. I used the bumper overide bolts. done it in about an hour.
FollowupID: 420248

Follow Up By: Member - TPM (SA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:51

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:51
Mark

ARB have a easter sale on now, pathfinder from 1183.

Cant wait for the long rang tank, rear bumper, snorkel and suspension upgrade.
If you hear any news from ARB while you are there let me know.

Derek from Afordable Batteries and Radiators makes a dual bat set up. he is on this site. Am getting one soon. ( permission )

Do you still run the standard tyres? My wrangler HTs howl like a banshee when cornering.

Cheers.

FollowupID: 420254

Reply By: Leroy - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:10

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 20:10
I saw that on the news. Was a little surprised that they would still run such a trip because snow had been forcast for the last few days.

Leroy
AnswerID: 165370

Follow Up By: Member - TPM (SA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:00

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:00
This day and age with Sats and even the BOM government site it takes all the guess work out of the weather.
Sounded like the Principal was back peddling pretty fast ! She would've been covered though. The parents would have to sign forms writing off their childrens lives into the schools hands.
FollowupID: 420260

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:11

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:11
So... they went up to the hills and it snowed? In much of the world (including Australia) this is a normal situation why is anyone surprised?

Are we no longer prepared to permit risk in our children’s lives?

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 420264

Follow Up By: Member - TPM (SA) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:41

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:41
No problem with risking lives as long as you are prepared.

I would personally risk a childs life over mine any day. the old proverb women and children first doesnt hold much for me.

I much prefer the strongest survive.

After its equal opportunity these days.

FollowupID: 420275

Follow Up By: Member - TPM (SA) - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 19:56

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 19:56
wow I was hoping for a few bites on those comments, stirring the pot a bit : ) LOL
FollowupID: 420517

Sponsored Links