U.H.F radio,voice breaking up and interferance at high rev's

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:41
ThreadID: 32616 Views:2938 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Well were's an auto electrician whan you need one cause GREENDOG'S got a problem with the transmitting side of the radio,first let me say that radio and anntenna are in great order any way when i'm moving along doing 2000 thousand plus rev's no one can under stand what the hell i'm saying as soon as i stop back to idle i'm as clear as a water,The power lead is conected to the power lead of the stereo if you now what i mean then the earth wire is screwed on to a bolt of the mounting system'i have been told to run my wires straight to the battery and that might cure the problem if not were do go from there,so any help would be great thanks cheer's GREENDOG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: the real chopper - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:48

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:48
don't have an answer but I'll watch with interest.

I have an 04 GU 3lt with the same problem, clear Rx and Tx with the motor off, but as soon as I start the motor the 'interferance' (actually just like the radio is a bit deaf or I am speaking very quietly) begins. My cables are good and straight to the (2nd) battery and I have already rerun the aerial cable away from the electronics under the bonnet.

So as I said, I'll watch with interest
AnswerID: 165410

Reply By: D-Jack - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:51

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:51
No expert, but the direct wiring to the battery sounds good. All professional installers use this method.

If you think about it, the wire running from the battery (or fuse box) is there only to power the stereo/cd player/speakers. Transmiting on a radio would requires a bit more power as I understand than receiving. Also, the stereo would have some sort of interference reducer (I'm sure there's a tecnical name for it!) either in the power line, or internally. These are usually needed because of interference from the engine. At a guess, using not heavy enough wire guage, or sharing it with something else, along with no interference reducer, could lead to these problems. I would do the direct wiring to the battery, both positive and negative, and an expert may correct me, but twisting the negative around the positive all the way to the radio may aid in reducing interference.

I base none of these above theories on anything I've ever learnt, jsut on a few things I've seen and heard. If I'm wrong, I will stand corrected. It's just that no-one had replied yet!

D-Jack
AnswerID: 165413

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:58

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:58
Thanks D-jack for your input mate'i'll get back to you in the next couple of days when i tackle the problem cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 420280

Follow Up By: Scubaroo - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 00:40

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 00:40
My TX3400 was installed with both +ve and -ve wired direct to the battery terminals, and I have horrible static on reception that increases and decreases in tune with the engine revs. Would love to hear a decent solution. Aren't there filters you can install on the power leads?
FollowupID: 420318

Follow Up By: Marn - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 01:16

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 01:16
Just a thaught but have you tried playing with the squealch?
Cheers Gerard
FollowupID: 420321

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 07:36

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 07:36
A UHF CB will draw 15 watts maximum. A typical radio-cd will draw 100watts with high volume.

Mike
FollowupID: 420329

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 02:05

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 02:05
Put the power straight onto the battery that's what I did and I have no dramas
AnswerID: 165453

Reply By: HJ60-2H - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 07:27

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 07:27
Worn alternator brushes.
AnswerID: 165462

Reply By: Michael Carey - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 07:57

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 07:57
never, Never, NEVER connect the negative of a UHF (or any device) directly to the battery. You should connect them to the chassis, if you want close to the battery, but never directly to the battery!!
Imagine this scenario... You run the nice thin wires that connect the UHF to power through your dash, firewall and engine bay and connect them directly to the battery terminals. Things work fine for a while, and for many this is great and they will experience no problems. Then one day, thousands of K's down the track, the main earth lead that connects the engine block to the negative terminal fails. Over time vibration caused by the engines operation can cause the fine copper wires inside the cable to break. Suddenly when you go to crank the engine over, the only path the starter motor has to ground is through your UHF (antenna is grounded and the set is connected to the negative terminal) or any other device you have connected directly to the battery. Imagine 100+ amps being drawn through that little wire.
Instant fire!! The ONLY device that can have an excuse to connect directly to a battery is a winch (due to the incredible current draw when running).

As far as GREENDOG's interference problem, is it the engine/alternator OR is the interference just general noise in the cab caused with high revs?
Another thing that can affect the operation of UHF's during transmit is something called microphonics. This is where vibration in the car is transfered directly to components inside the radio and then transmitted. This is more common that you might realise. I repair UHF's (and other two-way radios) as part of my job and I see it quite often. A cure can be simple or quite tricky. This is the purpose of the wax inside the little shield box in some of the older Uniden UHF radios. Those that mount their UHF on the dash and get them too hot might have seen wax on the edges of the lid. The wax is supposed to hold critical components from vibrating, causing microphonics. It melts when the radio is cooking on the dash and runs out (the main board is upside down in many UHF's).

AnswerID: 165479

Follow Up By: VK3CAT - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 08:43

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 08:43
This is why you should have fuses on both the positive and negative supply cables to the radio.
FollowupID: 420349

Follow Up By: Michael Carey - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 08:50

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 08:50
Exactly, a negative fuse would solve the wire burning problem!! But it hasn't been seen in a UHF CB since the days of the Philips FM320,620,650.
FollowupID: 420352

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:37

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:37
Hi Micheal the alternater is new so i would'nt think it would be caming from there as i said i'm clear as water when i'm sitting at a set of lights just idleing but as i bring the rev's up still sitting at the lights the transmitt side is crap,the guys i was talking to last night could'nt even undrstand me he said it was like i had a problem with the mike just a lot of crackleing but again i've even replaced the mike in the past ,i'm going to run a power lead to batt over the weekend so i'll let you now how i go thanks for your reply cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 420368

Follow Up By: Michael Carey - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 11:35

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 11:35
Hi GREENDOG, what brand UHF do you have? How is it mounted? Can you get hold of a handheld UHF? These can be invaluable in trying to track down problems, hearing the interference for yourself is good too. If you can plug in a set of headphones into the handheld, this will give you a better idea of what it sounds like, plus you won't get feedback.
Do try it with the power for the UHF run to the battery, it's not overly important to run either the power or antenna cable away from other cables or equipment.
Another question, does the interference happen on all channels?
FollowupID: 420410

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 00:06

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 00:06
Hi Michael yes interferance on all channel's,got a power lead this morning and ran it straight to the battrey but still no luck,going to get noise blanker fitted or what ever you call them to the power lead the bloke i spoke to this morning seem's to think it could be from the alternater,so i'll have to what till monday and wait and see i'll let you now how i go,and it's a 4200 model mounted under the c.d player.thanks for helping me sort out the problem cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 420584

Reply By: Sam from Weipa Auto Electrics - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 07:38

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 07:38
It could be a faulty regulater in the alternater even though its new try dis connecting the main battery supply to the alt and running it then and seeing if you get the interference if you do try fitting a noise suppersor to the alt no the uhf fix the problem at the source.
AnswerID: 165753

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 10:31

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 10:31
That means disconnecting the thin wire that tells the Alternator that the Ignition is switched on - this will stop the Alternator charging.

DO NOT disconnect the heavy lead that is the main output - this can cause the Diodes in the Alternator to blow up.

DO NOT disconnect the thin wire from the batter to the Altrenator (your vehicle may not have one) that senses the battery voltage. This will cause the Alternator to run flat out and can put out 18 volts causing your Battery and electricals to cook.

Mike
FollowupID: 420662

Follow Up By: GREENDOG - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 10:53

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 10:53
Thanks Sam and Mike but i'm not mechanially minded so this info way over my head i think i better leave it to the experts.Thanks again for your input cheer's GREENDOG
FollowupID: 420665

Follow Up By: Sam from Weipa Auto Electrics - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 13:12

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 13:12
Yes mike is right I probably should have thought a bit more about what I was saying anyway you get the idea of what I meant cheers sam
FollowupID: 420677

Reply By: GREENDOG - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 22:39

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 22:39
Thanks to every one that helped find the problem,it ended up being a faulty antenna in the end so just out of warranty 110 bucks later sounds alot better,cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 166559

Sponsored Links