Turbo or Blower

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:41
ThreadID: 32617 Views:2192 Replies:14 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Now i will throw the Cat among the Pidgions, would a Supercharger be better than a Turbo , firstly in performance and then in Value , I reackon I favor the Blower.

.............OK I;m running........I'm duckin and weaving.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:53

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:53
It's ok I found my answer on the web

www.yellaterra.com.au/charger.php
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 165414

Reply By: Kiwi B - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:57

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 21:57
Doug,

Biggest concern with using s/charger in 4wd would be rubbish in drive belt, but it can give you low speed benefits.

Turbos have come a long way in last few years but probably run hotter.

Lotsa headscratching???

Bruce.
AnswerID: 165417

Reply By: atoyot - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:04

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:04
Blowers are dearer, but one of the great things about them is that if something goes wrong that you can't fix (like a broken belt if you didn't have a spare), you can just keep driving to get you home (although it will be a bit slower and blow a lot of fat - can't do with a turbo).

If you did throw a belt, it's pretty easy to re-route the air inlet to bypass the blower as well, so it is just an expensive ornament; again, you can't do that with a turbo.

Underbonnet heat is arguably lower than a turbo, but as far as performance is concerned, it's a matter of how much performance you want v's loss of reliability with either a turbo or blower. Straight out of the box, the blower might have just a bit more, but I think it still depends more on how much fuel and boost you run.

A turbo install is about half the price of a blower, but add an intercooler into the equasion, and it gets a bit more even. Then again, you can intercool a supercharger as well. Hmm, I don't know; can't make my mind up, so that's why I'm procrastinating and leaving the 1HZ alone for the time being. I'd probably agree, as you just get a bit more off idle with a blower than you do with a turbo. Horses for courses...

Andrew
AnswerID: 165418

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:10

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:10
Thanks Andrew
Hard to call really but i did find that web page that explains a lot ,unfitted price looks good too , maybe one day if i come into some good dollars, in the meantime the 4.2 six will have to keep plodding.
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 420287

Reply By: atoyot - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:27

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:27
You could have a look here as well. I looked at one of their kits a few years ago, and the main brackets were machined alloy, a work of art almost.

Andrew
AnswerID: 165426

Reply By: Sarg - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:29

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:29
Also try here
www.capa.com.au/kits_toyota.htm
AnswerID: 165428

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:56

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 22:56
Doug,

Soon after the diesel motor was made some bloke said I can make it go better and the turbo was born.

Soon after this the supercharger was made for the petrol heads.

I look at it this way, all the trucks and earth moving machinery that are diesel all have at least one turbo, all the drag cars have at least one supercharger.

There will always be an exception to the rule, but I think if diesels were meant to have a supercharger Roachie would have one, if not two, and that is good enough for me.

Wayne
AnswerID: 165437

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 14:38

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 14:38
Wayne

The super charger was used in the spitfire during the war,
It compensated for the air pressure loss at altitude (Rolls Royce Merlin engine for instance)

The turbocharger was invented by Swiss engineer, Alfred Buchi, who had been working on steam turbines. His patent for the internal combustion turbocharger was applied for in 1905. Diesel ships and locomotives with turbochargers began appearing in the 1920s.

Richard
FollowupID: 420684

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 23:58

Thursday, Apr 06, 2006 at 23:58
One of each.................................
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 165445

Reply By: Member - TPM (SA) - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 02:30

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 02:30
Do you remember the sreaming jimmys , aka the supercharged Detroit diesels !

What a racket ! those engines ran for ever though, not very nice standing next to one of those on a sample drill rig for twelve hours. Even with ear plugs by the end of a shift my ears were just about bleeding !

I was very happy when they changed to the air cooled Deutz and turboed Cats.

AnswerID: 165454

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 07:04

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 07:04
I knew a bloke in Darwin who had an FJ55 Cruiser with a Two-stroke Detroit Diesel fitted. No sure if it was Supercharged. Used to go like the clappers and was also quite economical. You could hear him 10km away in the bush...lol
FollowupID: 420325

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 14:28

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 14:28
Hi all

All of the two stroke Detroit Diesel have a blower.
But this is not for power it is so the engine will run, being a two stroke with a wet sump (ie it cannot use the sump to transfer the air the the combustion chamber)
it needs the blower to scavenge the air into the cylinder

If you wont more power for the Detroit Diesel they fit a turbo

Richard
FollowupID: 420681

Reply By: Member No 1- Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 07:40

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 07:40
if you go blower make sure its a positive displacement such as eaton and not those belt driven fans

a positive blower does not have the lag and overun like a turbo...meaning its giving you that Extra torque at low revs whereas a turbo needs some revs to get it pumping....
AnswerID: 165470

Reply By: snow - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 08:19

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 08:19
I could be wrong but aren't the APCs supercharged diesels? Or was it the Centurian tank...memory fails me.
AnswerID: 165487

Reply By: revhead307 - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 10:11

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 10:11
A few years ago, Sprintex used to do a supercharger kit for diesels. One farming client had a GU ute with it, and I enquired at the time for my GQ.

Was told by sprintex they dont make the kits anymore (dont ask me why..my memories not that good). There are still a small handful of GQ's and GU's with them on in WA. Ive seen a couple but rare as hens teeth.

As above...turbos on diesel are the standard technology...I'd like to see someone come up with a good system to supercharge tho.

Rev

AnswerID: 165518

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 11:51

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 11:51
I heard the Tojos have extreme reliability issues when running a blower
AnswerID: 165555

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 12:39

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 12:39
Doug,

I looked into this for my 100 series 4.2, I can't remeber all the reasons given why I should not go the supercharger but I do remember all but one company telling me to go the turbo option. After a couple of gearbox spits from the standard power of the 4.2 N/A, I come to the conclusion that if I increased the H/Power too much the gearbox would also have to be beefed up to cope. I ended up trading up to the Datsun I have now as I felt it would cope more admirably with big H/Power :-)))) if that don't get you's going nothing will.

Cheers Trevor.

PS for the money a blower costs (and if your motors young) the changeover price for a Chev V8 is not that much more.
AnswerID: 165570

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 14:39

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 14:39
Supercharging versus Turbocharging
The physical space occupied by a turbocharger is significantly less than its direct-drive counterpart. This gives the opportunity of fitting multiple turbochargers to a single engine, such as in a "sequential turbo", where one turbo is tuned to give increased performance at low engine speed and another turbo is tuned to increase the high-speed engine performance.

An alternative arrangement utilizes two turbochargers of the same type, known as a "twin turbo". This gives a large power increase for a given engine speed at the cost of increasing the lag-time for the exhaust to heat up sufficiently to drive the turbochargers. This lag can be addressed by reducing the size of each individual unit such that the combined output is still as great as a single large turbocharger without having to suffer the lag-time required to reach operating speed.

The thermal efficiency, or fraction of the fuel/air energy that is converted to output power, is less with a mechanically driven supercharger than with a turbocharger, because the energy of the exhaust pressure is lost. For this reason, both the economy and the power of a turbocharged engine are usually better. The main advantage of an engine with a mechanically driven supercharger is better throttle response. This is important in dragsters and small sports cars. It also tends to run less hot.

It is also possible to drive the blower from the crank shaft and use an exhaust turbine for output power.
AnswerID: 165797

Sponsored Links