Mapping software comparison

Submitted: Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 18:52
ThreadID: 32651 Views:1948 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I would be interested to have any comments if any one has used Oziexploer or Trackranger mapping software.Would like to here the the fors or against of each software.Im thinking of buying either one,any sugestions.Many thanks ,
Eric
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Alan H (Narangba QLD) - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 19:24

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 19:24
I have used both but not of the same chronological timeframe. I used older versions of Trackranger and found it to be great.

I currently use OziExplorer as I went to PDA for a display and required software to run on the PDA. I also find Ozi great to use.

I notice that Trackranger will now run the street maps directly without the need to run a two different mapping software to show both streets and topo maps.

They both seem roughly equivalent and of good quality to me. It might help you decide if you can sort out what you are going to run it on and which display.

If you want to run it on a PDA device then you will need Ozi CE as Trackranger will not run on a PDA.

If you use a laptop ( or laptop plus second screen) Then you could use either.
Both are interesting when you first start but don't let that stop you. Most people don't use all the features of every pice of software and software which is too easy to get straight out the box and use may not be sophisticated enough.

There is a lot of help out there for you whichever one you go with.
Lots of luck.
_
AnswerID: 165636

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 21:38

Friday, Apr 07, 2006 at 21:38
Alan wrote - "I notice that TrackRanger will now run the street maps directly without the need to run a two different mapping software to show both streets and topo maps"

Both OziExplorer and TrackRanger can be used with the UBD street maps (which I assume you are talking about) and with respect to these programs, a map is a map..streets or no streets, topo lines or no topo lines.

Neither programs are "Routing Products" ie they are not automatic route planning software programs and you cannot request the best way to get from point A to point B, unlike other available navigation software programs eg Destinator.

Both OziExplorer and TrackRanger allow you to create your own routes on the map and navigate along those (which can be painful if that’s all you want to do and therefore these programs are not ideal for city work).

As mentioned in recent posts on TrackRanger (must be a marketing campaign on) I have never used the program except for a bit of a look see (free demo on WestPrint map CD but not from website unlike OziE), having used OziExplorer for over 8 years I can see no advantage in changing...OziExplorer is, as far as I can see, better and cheaper.

My, advice go with OziExplorer...there is nothing it can’t do that TrackRanger can. Plus there is a wider range of maps available for use with OziExplorer than TrackRanger...don’t limit yourself for no reason

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 420549

Reply By: Keith_A (Qld) - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 09:07

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 09:07
Hi Eric - have used Oziexplorer for several years.
Does the job without any fuss.
Full of very useful features, and reasonably simple to use.
We have a Garmin GPS72 (base model GPS) and run OZI on the laptop.
Can map our trip on the laptop and upload the waypoints to the GPS.
When we are 'geographically challenged' just plug it in, and 'moving map' mode shows you exactly where on earth you are.
(assuming you have loaded the maps for the area).
As for maps - Natmap Raster Mosaic covers all of Australia with sufficient details for the traveller. For inland Austalia -Hemma 'Great Desert maps' are brilliant.
best of luck with your research...............Keith
AnswerID: 165765

Reply By: arthurking83 - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 11:42

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 11:42
Possibly the best reason to go with something like Ozi (and OziCE) over Trackranger, is the wider user base!

ie. if there si something else that you want to do at a later stage, that involves the more advanced nature of a program...chances are that someone else has already done it, and created the program to do it!!

eg.. OziPics (or OziPhotoTool), OziDat, Img2Ozf, MapMerge, etc......

there are far more interesting things you can do with Oziexplorer!!

Also have a search for "remoteGIS" (the site is currently down, hopefully back soon)
This program lets you make your own maps (vector) with freely available data!
Kind of a geeky alternative and needs 'enthusiasm'

cheers.
AnswerID: 165780

Sponsored Links