Deisel problems

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 19:46
ThreadID: 32688 Views:3235 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I have noticed today that my gq2.8td is leaking fuel from the fuel pump it looks like it is coming from the outer side of the pump.
The question that i have, is that my brother-in-law and i buy deisel from the same caltex service station and he had the same problem on his 80 series landcruiser about 1 month ago, only recently the service station put low sulpher tags on the pumps.
would this have any thing to do with it??
should we buy from another service station??

On the other side of the coin it happened now and not in the middle of the simpson as we are heading there in july.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 20:16

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 20:16
Sounds like seals have gone because of the low sulphur diesel, as you said better now than outback.
No point in getting fuel from anywhere else as they all sell low sulphur now as far as I'm aware.
AnswerID: 165852

Reply By: Member - John - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 20:23

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 20:23
hobo, from my research, when I had a 2.8 TD GQ, the seals in the pump are low sulphur proof. Maybe wrong, have known to be before. Try getting servo to pay for repairs...... Good luck
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 165853

Reply By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 20:58

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 20:58
You need to have the seals replaced with neoprene seals that are compatible with low sulphur diesel.
All early diesels are going to have this happen eventually.
AnswerID: 165858

Reply By: Kiwi B - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 21:17

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 21:17
Can't remember how long ago, but I'm guessing between 10 and 15 years, there was heap of these same problems blamed on good fuel and old/wrong seal types.
This was supposedly rectified at the time, however here it is all over again.

All the best with your repairs,
Bruce H.
AnswerID: 165863

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 21:19

Saturday, Apr 08, 2006 at 21:19
hobo.
This is common and is easy to fix. the seal is just an 'O' ring, about 20 cents, and takes a few minutes to change, when you take the plate of the pump there is a spring conected to the lever, be careful not to stretch it and note where it connects so you can replace it. Easy. Eric.
AnswerID: 165864

Follow Up By: hobo - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 05:53

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 05:53
Hi Eric

Thanks for this information i will have a look at it today, when i had a quick look at it yesterday it did apear that it was coming out near the spring. hopefully it will be that easy to repair.
Also the year model of my nissan is 11/96 i have heard that vehicles older than 10 years will adventually have fuel pump problems with todays desiel.
FollowupID: 420801

Reply By: Member - Stephen L- Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 12:45

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 12:45
Hobo,
I use and recommend Morey's Diesel Smoke Killer Fuel Conditioner. This is what it reads on the bottle.
Cleans dirty injectors and keeps them clean
Increases horsepower up to 10%
Improves fuel economy to more than pay for itself
Reduces emissions and smoke
Reduces rust and corrosion, makes fuel filters last longer
Reduces injector scuffing, increased fuel systems life
Does not raise sulphur or aromatic content
Keeps seals soft and pliable
Fights Diesel bug
Most effective under loaded conditions and in engines that are in a good state of repair.

Like I said, I have been using in now for a number of years for the fact that it is lubricant and helps with all of the above.

A 1 litre bottle is about $15 and will treat 650 litres of fuel. Give it a try you will be impressed.

Regards

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 165937

Sponsored Links