Digital Photography - Computer Photo albums

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 12:25
ThreadID: 32699 Views:2921 Replies:12 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

Probably like nearly all of you I have lots of digital photographs - got lots of printed ones too in _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx that are not in albums. I was looking through them all today and after a few years and a few thousand photos I start forget names of places and things. I have a Kodak digital camera but was thinking about upgrading at some point. Kodak supply some pretty good software to run on your computer but I worry that it might not be there for the long haul. I don't want to find out that I catalogue everything and put names and titles on things and then find that in ten years time the Kodak software is no more and that I cannot access the data on my new computer or whatever I have then. Maybe Microsoft have a free program that is useful or maybe there is someone else that I should start using.

So question is - what to people recommend as a 'photo album' for the digital photography.

Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazy Dog (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 12:39

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 12:39
Yo Andrew and Jen,

I use this one for my albums on the Grand children - probably do what you want and it's free...

www.visimon.com/

Grrr!!!
AnswerID: 165935

Reply By: Nifty1 - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 12:40

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 12:40
Picasa 2, free download from Google.
AnswerID: 165936

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 12:57

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 12:57
You're on the rite track..As you no doubt know,your valuable pix have,to a degree,already deterorated somewhat.At first it is not noticable,like a non-medical cancer.But I can assure you,it is happening..Re color pix be they negatives or positives,the red,green,blue emulsions are re-acting and "nicotine"stains will soon appear resulting in permanent damage and de-grading the quality you have worked so hard to achive..Enough of that! To answer your mssg,try the software I use at www.iview-multimedia.com/ ..As I use both PC's (8) & Macs (4) I run all my pix on my Macs and also use the free iPhoto by Apple™..Both are magic to use are are updated on a regular basis..Problems! What are they? Never had one in the five years plus I have used them both for my 18,000 photos.Both allow keywords.(If you have a lot of pix,you need that feature.at least) iView® I believe,is also avail on PC platform..Time is running out! Please get your non-digital pix onto digital media as soon as you can then you are in control and coast along as you please.Helps? Have fun..RockyOne!MPG:8!
AnswerID: 165938

Follow Up By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 03:17

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 03:17
I love my G5 but am pretty cranky with it right now. It seems mine has the dreaded dead board issue that results in it shutting itself down every few minutes (once hot).

Goes for hours when first turned on.....to the workshop today I thnk
FollowupID: 421007

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 12:58

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 12:58
Andrew, the printed ones can be scanned into files also, and will probably last a lot longer that way.
I've just finished scanning around 1000 slides with a special slide scanner. Some came up well, some were marginal but at least they're not lost :))
AnswerID: 165939

Follow Up By: Austravel - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 13:33

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 13:33
Hi Footloose,

I've also got thousands of slides I'd like to convert. What's the gear you used and how much?? Would certainly give me some more space in the cupboards.

Thanks
FollowupID: 421076

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 13:48

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 13:48
Hi Austravel. I wanted to do a lot as quickly as possible, and play with the finish later on. I used a HP Scanjet 4890 which cost me round bout $550. Now that I'm finished with it will probably put it on Ebay for around half that. So keeping an eye out there will save you a lot.
Easy as to use, quick and good results. I'm no photographer , just wanted something easy and this was it.
FollowupID: 421081

Follow Up By: Austravel - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 08:48

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 08:48
Thanks for that I'll do a web search so I can see what it does etc.
FollowupID: 421247

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 12:43

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 12:43
I spent some time researching and ended up throughly confused. In the end I bought this unit and just hoped for the best...which is pretty much what I got :)))
Good luck
FollowupID: 421290

Follow Up By: Austravel - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 16:35

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 16:35
Thanks, I'll have to go through the same exercise when I get a chance.
FollowupID: 421328

Reply By: web-keeper-666 - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 13:00

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 13:00
Another good one is jalbum.

This will let you consolidate your pic's, and when your complete you can upload them to your website. (if you wish)

It won't do what picasa can do but when you have both of these, you can acheive quite a lot.

Above all they are free.

JAlbum Software

AnswerID: 165941

Follow Up By: BLUEBAG53 - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 14:38

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 14:38
My suggestion is once you have developed your digital photo album burn your photos to CD's as we all know Murphy strikes when we least expect and at the worst possible moment. Happy motoring!
FollowupID: 420879

Reply By: Tellem Bugrem - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 16:45

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 16:45
G'day Andrew,

Canon have an album program called Photo Record and it comes with Canon Printers or Cameras. I have done 3 Albums covering our last three trips. It's easy to use, you can adjust size and position of any photo in the album, add captions and decorate album to a theme. I use a comb binder so I can add route maps, information sheets, trail guides etc. Then I put add a clear cover sheet and a cardboard back cover to complete. For our Cape Trip this year I'll be doing double sided photo sheets and will be laminating each page as I had lookers spill drinks, food or drool on the photos.

It's a KISS program and it sure beats sliding photos into fixed sleeves, or putting the old photo corners in an album.

Cheers.........Rob
AnswerID: 165968

Reply By: Old Scalyback & denny - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 17:38

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 17:38
goodday andrew
as well as the suggestions above 1 thing i have done was to get a 100gig portable harddrive and moved all my photos and photo software to it so that i can download direct as we travel thru the laptop
i was downloading to cd but even that collection is growing rather large.before i got a digital camera just had the slr and used to get them direct to cd as well

steve
AnswerID: 165975

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 19:13

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 19:13
Make sure you make backups to CD or DVD - one hard-disk crash and you will lose ALL your photos in flash.

Mike
FollowupID: 420916

Reply By: Steve from Albany - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 19:08

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 19:08
Hi Andrew,
The way I deal with the ever growing number of photos is to just store them in a folder direct to my hard drive. This folder has sub folders labeled holidays, family, fishing, etc. My camera is also a Kodak, about 18 months old and it loads the photos direct into this folder on my C drive in jpeg format. This is a very popular format and i don't think it will become obselete in a hurry. If I want to fiddle with the photo I use Mircosoft Photo editor of some other program like it. This isn't really a photo album as such, but more of a photo storage system. However it suits me because I dont have any interest in making up fancy eletronic photo albums. Instead what I do is regually copy my photo folders to cd, Holidays on one cd, Family on another, again in jpeg, and then not only do I have my photos backed up but I can also play the cd in my dvd player as a slide show. It's just like having a slide night when we were kids. I find sitting in our lounge room watching a slide show a more enjoyable way to see our photos then to be crowding around a computer screen. I hope this helps.
Regards
Steve.
AnswerID: 165990

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 20:20

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 20:20
Hi Andrew & Jen,

Picasa from Google on a PC, or iPhoto on a Mac are clearly what you are looking for - and make sure you think about how you might search for things in the future. Include tags for your children's names if they feature a lot, locations, dates, etc. With your digital camera, a lot of the key information is captured when you shoot (like the date for instance).

There is quite an art to doing it well.

For those with gazillions of images- last count I was at 350,000 - try Cumulus 6 which is just the same as the others, except industrial strength for massive databases.

NEXT: ANOTHER IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER

B A C K them all up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On well labelled high quality media (better types of CD-ROM or DVD-ROM)

TWICE! And keep one copy in a separate location that will not get hit by the same disaster.

Then you can be sure your precious memories will be kept for posterity.

Lastly, if the prints you mentioned are from a 35mm camera, I would recommend getting the negatives scanned at good high resolution, and cataloguing them with date and subject info too.

Ciao for now,
Andrew.
AnswerID: 166014

Follow Up By: Pajman Pete (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 07:40

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 07:40
Nearly all Digital cameras store metadata in the JPG file which includes details of the camera, focal length, apature, flash, date, time and other stuff. This is called EXIF data.

There are plenty of free readers out there such as this one

Cheers

Pete
Any mug can be uncomfortable out bush

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 421223

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 22:13

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 22:13
Just name the folder in Windows something applicable.
EG

Woods Point 20-3-06

then in that folder put a text file with all the photo information in it...
EG
Woods Point trip with Ads, etc.. we did these tracks, this many trucks, this person got bogged, this person got laid. etc. etc etc.

then burn that to 3 CDs. one at ya parents place, one at your place, and one somewhere else for safe keeping.
AnswerID: 166067

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 08:05

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 08:05
Hi David (David & Justine)..Hope we can solve that glich on your G-5..We had a problem a few years ago..PC that ran our biz fried the CPU..(Our fault! Lint clogged filter.Fan died.No cooling on CPU.Cooked)*..I had to throw it into Triton & do quick 1000 km trip ea way to repairs in Bris.No repairs here then,plenty now. Suggest you drop the starboard side and fully expose all the beautifully arranged innards.Magic design.You may be aware the G-5 dual has nine (9) fans,so I guess if the air supply is being restricted in any way,books,lint etc,the computor would be doing the correct thing and closing down 'till this sit is rectified.Of course,the only fans to run are those on a particular circuit which is in use on that portion of the software appl.Need info.Try www.apple.com/support/powermac/ *At least we could sit on 100+++ kph in those days..That must be why we are all deceased :-) BOL
AnswerID: 166098

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 15:54

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 15:54
Hi David and Justine, I reckon the best solution is a program called Picasa2 by Google. It's free and does a fantastic job , I won't even try and explain all the features but download it from here:

picasa.google.com/

Let me know what you think, I'm sure you'll love it. And it won't change or upset the original photos you have. It will also timeline all your photos for you on a Rotary Index Wheel, fantastic.
AnswerID: 166459

Sponsored Links