Landcruiser seats

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 21:28
ThreadID: 32722 Views:26550 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Just thought I share what I did with my Landcruiser seats and saved a bucket full of money.
I went to the wreckers last week and bought 2 Mazda something seats in real good condition for $60. They had covers on from new and look fantastic.
I took the old landcruiser seats out and kept the Toyota sliders. Weldet flat bars across to be able to bolt on the new seats.
Took me about 4 hrs all up and now I have beautiful seats in my Cruiser ( HZJ75 Ute),without spending thausends of dollars.
Now I have room for a nice centre console. Next week I get the modification plate and its all done.
Any mechanic should be able to do that without braking the bank. More money to go away and have a good time out there.

cheers
Reiner
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bware (Tweed Valley) - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 21:49

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 21:49
Good stuff, mate. You blokes with mechanical know-how have an amazing advantage. When I changed my standard 80 series seats I picked up a pair of GXL seats from the wreckers only to find that the driver's seat rested against the door( I guess it had been in an accident and was twisted). I have the standard drivers seat in now with sheepskin cover which is OK. The real reason for getting new seats was so the wife didn't have to sit on that crappy 3/4 bench seat. Wish I had some mates like you I could offer a few slabs of beer to in exchange for vehicle modifications!
AnswerID: 166062

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 22:00

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 22:00
Reiner,

Good stuff.
What have you done about the passengers seat belt buckle?

Also the 12volt coolers from Dick Smith make a great console for about $30 - complete with two cupholders :-)) And you can even use them as a cooler/warmer!

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 166064

Follow Up By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) 4124 - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 07:29

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 07:29
Phil, I got rid of the centre seat belts and I fitted the other seat belts with a bracket under the bolts that hold the seat down. That must be ok because that is what Mazda had done in the donor car.
Now I'm building a centre console that can go up the rear wall too with pockets for small things in between the seats.

Reiner
FollowupID: 421017

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 09:03

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 09:03
Hi Reiner,

I've done something very similar. I had second-hand Recaros fitted - I got the fitter to slip in an extra seat belt bolt which they did by cutting a hole in the floor and slipping a retaining bolt and bracket under it.

I didn't use the fridge as a console but have a mate who did. I did something that was very similar to what you're planning. Made a plywood box and carpeted it. Its got a hinged lid that has a small tablet computer velcro'd to it for the maps. Behind the lid is where I put maps and other trip info. Under the lid goes all the small stuff and also a rubbish bin, and then forward of that is a couple of drink bottle holders like they use on pushbikes for our water bottles. The whole console is covered in some light marine carpet to cover up my dodgy handwork :-))

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 421039

Follow Up By: TroopyTracker - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 19:51

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 19:51
There's actually a captive nut welded to the body just for the buckle mount but the hole isn't drilled. Toyota must have been selling as a two seater elsewhee long ago-too late for you two but anyone reading makes it easy.
Matt
FollowupID: 421131

Follow Up By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) 4124 - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 22:42

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 22:42
Troopy Tracker, I found that captive nut by accident. I measured square for the passenger seat and drilled a small hole to see how much room I got to the tank and I drilled right in the middle of the nut. Thought that was strange because the fixing point for the front bolt is very easy to find and open but not the rear one.
Anyway it saved me taking the tank out and putting a plate underneath.
I have seen Police crusers with two bucket seats so I guess thats why the Landcruisers have provision for a single seat on the left.
I made a centre console today but only a black ply version to get the size right and see what I really need. When that is sorted and I know what goes where I build the real one using this one as a template.
I like all the room I got now.

Reiner
FollowupID: 421195

Reply By: jaksun - Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 22:51

Sunday, Apr 09, 2006 at 22:51
Hi folks
it cost me $275 to convert my one & 3/4 seat into a bucket seat here in Ballarat.the upholsterer did a great job.
Jaksun1
AnswerID: 166074

Reply By: Member - Mike - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 07:08

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 07:08
Hi
Thinking of doing the same with my 80 Series Std - However not sure as yet on the legal ramifications.
Cheers
Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 166088

Follow Up By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) 4124 - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 07:32

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 07:32
Mike, I can't see any leagl problems. The seats come from a Car that complies with ADR and the Toyota sliders are aproved as well.
I get a modification plate this week and that's it.

Reiner
FollowupID: 421018

Follow Up By: Michael B - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 08:50

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 08:50
Reiner,

Sounds good, exactly what is involved with obtaining a modification plate?
Do the welds need to be checked, as in serious X-ray detail or just a general
'eye-ball' by the inspector.

Keep us posted please, 'cos I am still looking at alternatives for the Troopy.

Regards
Michael
FollowupID: 421036

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 09:08

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 09:08
To cover the legal side of mine I bought some second hand Recaros from a wrecker ($650pair) and had them fitted by an authorised seat fitter called Willshires in Adelaide. Cost about $300 each to fit and modify the seat belt mount, and they used different sliders because I wanted to keep the originals with the factory seats. The Recaros have been great. Only negative is that they have a high side on the base that you have to climb over, but I don't notice it any more.

Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 421041

Reply By: Joe King - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 07:46

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 07:46
Reiner, I'm pretty interested, can you post some pic's when you're done, my 75 has got 2 mod plates on it from the previous owner, 1 is for conversion for 2 seats & the other is the conversion back to 3, would like to see the centre console... cheers. JK
AnswerID: 166096

Reply By: traveller2 - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 08:25

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 08:25
The only problem I've seen over the years with this sort of seat change is that the donor seats when designed for a cars soft suspension don't stand up to the pounding when fitted to a light truck.
Best to go for top end models as they tend to be better made.
Might also be better if the driver is on the large side ;-))
Make sure your modified mounts are heavier than the originals with good welds and that the mounts attach to the original floor mounting points with either original or higher grade bolts and they should pass engineering.
Be careful too if the donor seats contain side airbags or the decceleration thingys in the seat bases. They will cause probs with engineering and also big problems with the installer if accidentally discharged.
AnswerID: 166102

Follow Up By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) 4124 - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 08:44

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 08:44
My Ute has no airbags but good point for trucks they have.........regarding the quality of the seats I paid $60 for both seats and if they give up in 12 month I get another set. Now that the brackets are changed it's just a matter of unbolt and fit the new ones.
We went for a drive over the weekend and they feel so much better than the Toyota seats. We will see how long they last.

Reiner
FollowupID: 421034

Follow Up By: traveller2 - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 08:47

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 08:47
What I actually meant was the donor seats may have the bags and deacceleration devices, most late model commodores have the deacceleration thingys and they are welded to the base frames. I've actually got one sitting on the garage floor and eyeing it with suspicion.
FollowupID: 421035

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 10:59

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 10:59
What about the legal side of things? Do you not need a report done for this type of thing?

AnswerID: 166128

Reply By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) 4124 - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 19:01

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 19:01
The rules are different in each state. Here in Qld you need a modification plate and a check up at a department of transport authorised engineer.
Here in Brisbane I have used Bruce Hartwig Ph 3255-1621 for different jobs in the past. He is very fair and good to deal with.
I asked him what he will do and he said he will look at the welds and check out what I did with the seatbelts before I get the mod plate.
I let you know the costs involved.

cheers
Reiner
AnswerID: 166219

Reply By: Member - Reiner G (QLD) 4124 - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 17:03

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 17:03
I finaly went for my modification plate today and it cost me $175 for the certifcate and the plate. Bruce the Engineer checked the welds and construction and the seat belt mounts. All good and after spending about $250 I have nice seats and it's all legal.
cheers
Reiner
AnswerID: 168344

Sponsored Links