Maxtrax

Submitted: Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 14:55
ThreadID: 32740 Views:2077 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

Been looking at,

Maxtrax

These things look similar to the heavy metal numbers that used to be around some time ago. Saw them at the Brisbane show last weekend and they looked pretty impressive. Seemed like a worthwhile bit of equipment if travelling alone. They were running a DVD showing some serious boggings and drive on out with these devices. Made of lightweight nylon and looked durable.

So what do you think?

Kind regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: greydemon - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 15:49

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 15:49
Nice to have if you get bogged. I watched the video clip on the site where the guy gets bogged crossing a stream. It seemed to me that if there were any sort of current you would be waving goodbye to a lot of dollars by the time you reached the other side.

Also, they are too big to store easily being rigid. OK if you are geared up for a big trip with the roof rack on but not the sort of things you would carry around all the time 'just in case'. I have only been seriously bogged twice, each time in circumstances where I wouldn't have had them with me as I was close to home only having nipped out for an hour or so.
AnswerID: 166184

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 15:54

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 15:54
G'day Greydemon,

They had them stored on a roof rack but also whilst at the show had a ratchet type strap through the spare wheel and handles of these devices seems to make them easily accessible via the rear of the vehicle. I also thought they were a bit big but then again they seemed really easy to use.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 421099

Reply By: Fusion - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 19:45

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 19:45
I bought a set at the show. Haven't tried them yet, but am looking forward to getting bogged on the beach to test them out ;)

I was on Fraser just before Christmas, one day we headed up to the top of the island for a drive and came across these guys towing a camper trailer. I asked how they got past the Ngkala rocks, as the bypass was extremely soft as usual and not easy to get through with an empty vehicle. They said they used the MaxTrax and gave me a card.

Anyway checked them out at the show, and on the DVD was them at Ngkala rocks, so I can vouch for the fact they really got through with a camper trailer.

When we came back through the bypass I got bogged (or as good as) could only go forward or backwards about 3m but no further. Dropped down to about 15psi and got a push to get moving so I could climb the shallow hill in the middle. Found a guy bogged coming the other way, in the exact spot the MaxTrax guys where with the camper. So we spent a while getting him out.

I also got bogged getting up Indian head with a camper trailer (no thanks to my co pilot who has vast Fraser experience, gave me a really bum steer.) Tide was well in, and we were stuck with the water about 1.5m from the trailer wheels. Dropped the tyres even further down to 15psi, dug ramps on all 6 wheels and bucketed water into the tracks to harden the sand. Got out OK, but it was close, with heaps of people looking on. (we did have an offer of a snatch, but thought we'd try and get ourselves out first) Anyway, in all the above situations I reckon we would have been out very easily with the Maxtrax, compared to what we ended up doing.

And finally, the MaxTrax fit perfectly across the back of the Patrol, so there is no problem taking them anywhere. I also got the bag, so if they are covered in sand/mud etc, I can just chuck them in the bag and in the back of the Patrol.

Thanks,

Aaron.
AnswerID: 166227

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 07:40

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 07:40
Thanks Aaron,

They do look the goods and will get a set. I had spent my allowance at the show already (the bride was watching me like a hawk) otherwise would have got them then and there.

I also tow a camper and whilst my bogging has mainly been without the camper I can see from the video that it is just a simple process and not necessarily reliant on any one. Handy for my September Cape melville trip no doubt.

Thanks again and kind regards.
FollowupID: 421224

Reply By: otroll - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 11:44

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 11:44
I have a set of these and used them on my trip to the vic high country before easter and they worked well over mud and rocks saved me having to get the winch out. I store mine behind the rear seats and have them cabletide to the cargo barrier.
AnswerID: 169304

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 11:49

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 11:49
G'day Otroll,

Thanks for the feedback. Was wondering how you used these on rocks? Can see the sand and mud applications easy enough. Were using these as ramps, are they strong enough for that?

Kind regards
FollowupID: 424617

Reply By: otroll - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 12:04

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 12:04
Sort of, but they were not big rocks and the rocks supported the track as I drove over it, used it as extra grip and not as a ramp, not enough travel in my shocks was the problem.
AnswerID: 169309

Reply By: Member - Omaroo (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 15:26

Thursday, Apr 27, 2006 at 15:26
A friend of ours has a set, and said that they are useful if you are partially bogged in sand or mud. If you are already up to you chassis rails or deeper then he said that they were useless at that point.

I must say that I'm looking forward to borrowing his and having a go for myself.
AnswerID: 169326

Sponsored Links