wisco track, nt

Submitted: Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 20:40
ThreadID: 32759 Views:2078 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
hi all
is this the road/track that goes from tennent creek to lajamunu via duck ponds?
if so what is it like and time needed to travel it in well prepared patrols and cruisers?
also permits required?

thanks for any info and help
fred
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: andy - Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 21:45

Monday, Apr 10, 2006 at 21:45
Hi Fred

I guess you mean the WISO track. Search the forum archive for WISO and you will find the answers.

Andy
AnswerID: 166280

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 20:49

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 20:49
I spoke to people up that way a few months ago. They said that since we went thru (first car all the way thru in almost 2 years) the community people have been travelling it and the wattle is therefore not as bad. Not as bad is however a relative term. It would be possible now, as far as I have been told to travel from Kalkaringi to Tennent Creek in something like 2 1/2 maybe 3 days. Unfortunately I can't show you the photos I have, because my computer is in the workshop and my laptop which I am using now can't read DVD (thats what I store them on).

Anyway, if it is anywhere near as bad, and it may well be after the rains- since the wattle grows thickest on the road which is lower than the surrounding country- you can expect your paint to be very very very badly scratched. You will need to fold your mirrors in to avoid damaging them, and in the worst 90k or so, you will need to travel at 4 to 5 kph maximum. You may also lose indicators and such if you don't take it easy.

The police at Lajamanu will strongly discourage travel, but will let you through if your level of experience and preparation satisfies them. If you have a brand new plastic 4wd then expect them to say no as well. You absolutely MUST seek permission from the police, and they will tell you a rescue is OUT OF THE QUESTION, as they nearly destroyed their vehicle rescuing a car that suffered 8 flat tyres.

You should carry at least two spares, be equipped with lots of mushroom plugs and string plugs and radial patches and tubes and you should expect typical desert fuel consumtion from Lajamanu onwards. If the track is as bad as it was when we travelled it, navigation is extremely difficult. If so, you will not find the turn off near the duckponds. You will therefore need to be very confident at GPS nav. We were navigating by GPS alone at that point and needed to check against the map at lots of places to confirm we were tracing correctly. One tip, if you drive thru the Duckponds township (abandoned), you have missed the turn-off.

If it is clearer, it wont be as difficult obviously, but it will destroy your vehicle's paint and tyres if you don't take it easy and probably will do so even if you do.

Not sure of your wattle country experience, but one tip that is invaluable is to NOT drive over the shoots or stumps. So if a wattle bush/tree has fallen down over the road, drive over the fallen branches rather than over stumps which may look like a clearer track.

Also beware hidden termite mounds on the track.

It is from memory 295k from lajamanu to Tennent Creek and over 150k is through thick wattle. From Kalkarinji to Lajamanu is reasonable gravel road typical of the Tanami.

Good luck, and I hope the track is clearer now.

David
AnswerID: 166533

Sponsored Links