gps

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 17:32
ThreadID: 32797 Views:1931 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
g'day, i'm intending an extended trip, have an ipaq pocket pc and am looking to incorporate a gps into it, need advise on this and how to couple it with laptop, have purchaced exploreoz and nat map. Do i just need a rgps reciever? will this allow me to download and record tracknotes and waypoints etc. or do i need a gps with screen etc. HELP!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 17:55

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 17:55
Bob

Provide a little about the systems.

Model IPAQ

Model Laptop

Do they both have bluetooth and/or USB. The type of GPS reciever you need depends on this.

You will need a GPS receiver and probably the PDA version of Oziexplorer ( Iassume you mean Oziexplorer PC when you referr to exploreoz and natmap!!) as well.

Do you wish voice navigation (city streets, country roads etc) as well?

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 166491

Follow Up By: Member - Bob I (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 15:27

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 15:27
Hi paul,and others, thanks for the response, my laptop is aexcel 2gig i think ,no bluetooth but has all the other gismo's , my ipaq is a hp h19 series i think thats right, the laptop has usb but the ipaq data cable female flat plug to thebottom and a flash card (256mg) to the top, i would like voice nav. and the oziexplorer is the cd($127.00) in the shop. the map is natmap raster premium, what iwould like to do is trip plan on the laptop, download to the ipaq and then possibly upload to the laptop of an evening to keep trip notes etc. but would like a backtrack facillity to keep record of camp spots and that sought of thing, i thought that by using the ipaq it might save a quid, as we are older people on a reasonably tight budget. what do you think
FollowupID: 421612

Follow Up By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 18:44

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 18:44
Bob

I cannot see your rig and sedtup from profileso:-

If you intend to explore off the beaten track Oziexplorer is the way to go. If you a are just towing a van and intend to keep to most of the normal caravan routes all you will need is a program such as Co Pilot Live or Destinator for you Ipaq.

Have a browse of this site Johnny Appleseed GPS with particular attention to the above mentioned products. Also browse the RAM mounts area.

GPS - Both your laptop and your ipaq have USB and compact flash slots (CF). If you elect to use Destinator or similiar you will need the CF slot for the program in your IPAQ. Therefore you will need a USB GPS unit. GPS are available from the shop on ExplorOz as well.

Do not get confused you just need standalone GPS unit that will talk to both your Ipaq and Laptop. All it does is send GPS data to your computer systems it has and needs no other software ( ie you do not need a garmin or magellan device (GPS)).

The budget will be an issue. If you elect to use Ozie Explorer you will need the CE version for your Ipaq if you want to use it on it as well as the full PC version ( See the OziExplorer WEB site).

Look carefully at each of the software options you can choose. Make no assumptions about what they can and cannot do for you on your PC or Ipaq. Be aware that the PC version will not work on your Ipaq and vis versa ( Co Pilot and Destinator have route planning software which installs on the PC when you purchase the CE version).

Also your Ipaq is not a small PC or laptop. PDA's do have major limitations so be careful not to overload your Ipaq.

Hope this assists.

Regards

Paul
FollowupID: 421667

Follow Up By: Member - Bob I (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:36

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:36
g'day paul, ive been away so the slow reply, thanks again for the info, we have a td disco and a 16ft roadstar van, we havecovered quite a bit of ground in this rig, across the gulf, lichfield, broome, tanimi, etc. not afraid of the dirt, quite like it in fact, but need to keep track of camp spots etc. also am quite likley to park the van and head off with the tent (oztent) to somewhere that souds exciting, so need that capability to get to some isolated places, like into " bell gorge" or sandy creek falls, love those places and need to go backto them, the info you have supplied has helped very much so once again many thanks.
regards Bob irwin, (not steve)
FollowupID: 422693

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 20:06

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 20:06
Hi Bob,

I am not tech savvy, so I won't pretend I know much about them but Johnny Appleseed (GPS Stores) were very helpful and knowledgeable when I was looking for my PDA GPS setup. You can see their website at www.ja-gps.com.au/
or better still if they have a store near you go and talk with your pocket pc in hand and your ideas of what you want to accomplish and I'm sure they will help.

Cheers Trevor.
AnswerID: 166522

Follow Up By: Member - Bob I (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 15:31

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 15:31
g' day trev. thanks for the advise, I have found a mob in baulkham hills sydey who seem to know a bit i,m going to see them on thursday, but wanted a bit of an idear so that i'm not sold a sheep station to run two cows on . I just want the basics to do what i want to do with. thanks for the reply
regards bob
FollowupID: 421614

Reply By: macandrita - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 21:46

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 21:46
Bob,

I am currently running exploreroz on an old IBM Thinkpad T30. I am using a usb mouse gps reciever bought off ebay for $75. Not sure what plugs into the ipaq. Starting over again I would probably go a garmin mouse gps so as to access Mapsource and Tracks for Australia especially for off roading. Advantage Garmin gps's talk to most software.
Mac
AnswerID: 166548

Follow Up By: Footloose - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 22:14

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 22:14
WOW, a fellow scrooge :)) My thinkpad is a 760 and using a Magellan 310. The Thinkpad got stood on so its got some duct tape ..long story.
Oziexplorer works a treat with this setup. Should it fail then the paper maps are close by with a compass. Should everything fail then I know the prevailing winds and these blow the sand to one side more than the other....well thats my theory. There's always the HF and satphone so I can phone a friend...I hope.
But overall I rekkon I'm the bigger cheapskate :)))))))))
FollowupID: 421461

Reply By: Member - Bob I (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 15:35

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 15:35
cheap is cheap, but only a goose buys for the sake of buying , ive allways found thatb if you buy what you need then its less trips to the tip, then I bring less rubbish home = more room in the garage to save mony by diy hows that for cheap
AnswerID: 166697

Reply By: Grizzle - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 12:06

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 12:06
I have an Ipaq 2200 and use Navman satellite navigation on it.This comes with the "Mouse" style GPS and Voice Navigation software. The bluetooth "mouse" style GPS also works on my laptop (NMEA format) and I run the laptop and Ipaq using Oziexplorer. I also bought a PDA holder from Bitronics in Bayswater. This has a speaker which makes the output of the Ipaq easy to hear. It also has a power outlet to power the 'Mouse" GPS. I have wired in a permanent live to the car so this stops the Ipaq going to power saving mode and dropping out connection with the GPS. I l also have fitted a radiating antenna to the top of my snorkel. My laptop does not have bluetooth so I bought a UBS Bluetooth adaptor and it works fine.

The Navman also gives you Satellite Navigation whilst you are out and about.

Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 167544

Reply By: Member - Bob I (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 16:36

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 16:36
hello grizzle, thanks for the reply, sounds like what i want,which oziexplorer do you use? and did you have any trouble getting the laptop and ipaq to gel. but the antenna on top of the snorkel sounds the shot, it seems like the answer to my problem is as you have listed, so ill give it a go , once again thanks a lot,
regards bob i
AnswerID: 167829

Sponsored Links