Navara Towing

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 17:59
ThreadID: 32799 Views:2921 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone

I have a Nissan Navara 2002 3.0 TD, I am looking at purchasing a camper trailer at the up and coming Show at Rosehill at the end of the month.

Is there any of you that has one of these towing a camper, I would like to hear you comments.

I real interested in the Ultimate Camper.

Thanks from Dave & Di, have a great Easter.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 18:18

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 18:18
Greetings

If this is your first time purchasing a towable product, know the following:-

The max permitted ball weight of your vehicle.
The max permitted tow capacity of your vehicle.

The max ball weight of the trailer - this varies as to how the trailer is loaded. I would suggest that the stated trailer ball weight be at least 50kg lighter than the max permitted for your vehicle.

The max permitted trailer weight should not exceed your vehicles max permitted tow weight.

Manufacturers such as Ultimate should not lead you astray on weight figures ( Ultimates are light ) others you will find may be vague or very casual about weights.

My thoughts are that your Navara should tow an Ultimate without problems.

May I also suggest Camper Trailers as a further web based camper trailer info source.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 166496

Reply By: porker - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 18:27

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 18:27
I also have a 2002 3.0 TD Navara and we tow a Cavalier camper trailer with it.
The effect on braking,accelaration and fuel consumption is minimal.
It also tows it happily through sand.Ours is a DX with 205r16 tyres which we run at 16psi in sand (trailer 12psi) and have no trouble.
Hope this helps.
PP
AnswerID: 166497

Reply By: Russel & Mary - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 08:33

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 08:33
Hi J-Cadd, I've got the same vehicle. The towing ratings etc are on a small placard that you can see on the drivers door pillar when the door is open. I've fitted those firestone air bag thingos to help out the navara's soft rear springs. They are good that you adjust them via your compressor for different loads in the rear to maintain a more level ride. We made our own camper that weighs 750 kg all up and we don't have brakes on it and all seems ok. Rus.
AnswerID: 166603

Reply By: Member - TonyG (Qld) - Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 09:48

Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 09:48
Hi Dave,

I have a 2003 ST-R diesel, and pull my camper trailer often,

My camper trailer is probably heavier than the units you are looking at. I had a heavy duty galvanised trailer made, and put a tent on top. Overall weight probably 1400kgs when fully loaded.

I find the navara puls the camper trailer easily.

Sensible acceleration speed and sensible braking distances and you will not have a problem.

The navara has good gear ratios to pull the load of a trialer, you will be happy with performance.

Thanks

TonyG
AnswerID: 166621

Sponsored Links