OME Spring choices for Hzj105 GXL

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 20:52
ThreadID: 32807 Views:2722 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gday All,

I have a 1998 hzj105 gxl cruiser and want a better ride and more articulation for offroad travel. I would do a dozen weekenders a year out to local bush spots as well as annual pilgrimages on the blacktop to the nearest capital city for holidays (1600km). I have a couple of toddlers and as such am keen to retain a good ride inthe back for the precious cargo!
Extras are a bullbar(alloy Tojo), Dual batteries, Alloy roofrack and in the future a good set of sidesteps

When fully loaded for camping i have an extra 180-200kg worth of gear such as tents, fridges etc as well as us four. When bush the factory suspension means that i regularly bum scrape the towbar and unfortunately the trailer socket and bend it parallel to the ground, when exiting gulleys etc - so i am keen to get 50mm ride height and have better articulation downwards.

Having spoken to ARB dealers and 3 people inside ARB i am confused as to their DIFFERING recommendations.
I have searched info on the internet re this and most of the info is for 80 series cruisers with the same coil setup - but i thought the 100 series were about 500kg heavier therefore all the info on 80series using these combos may be invalid?

Heres what i have been suggested:

1. Front Coil:851 Shock:n73 Rear Coil:860 Shock:n74e (progressiv f and r)
2. Front Coil:850(50-100kg wt) Shock:n73 Rear Coil:860 Shock:n74e (linear F, progressive R)
3. Front Coil:850 (50-100kg wt) Shock:n73 Rear Coil:863 (200kg wt) Shock:n74e (linear F & R)
4. Front Coil:851 Shock:n70 Rear Coil:860 Shock:n71 (comfort ride setup)

Anyone using one of these combinations? I would like to hear your thoughts and experiences with these.
Also, I have been told different info re the Castor kit with the suspension upgrade - 50% for it and 50% say i dont need it.

My thanks to anyone who can help me shed light on this.

Cheers
Quartzy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 21:24

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 21:24
I pick number 2 :)) (it's half way)
AFAIK The 851 spring is for fronts with winches etc. The 863 spring is very stiff, more suited to long range tanks and rear carriers etc.
I could be talking through my hat here, as my only experience and knowledge is on 80 series. Given the weight increase I may be way out...but I'd be surprised if I am.
Castor wise, I doubt if you'll need anything but any installer worth his salt will test drive after the springs and shocks are installed and tell you at the time.

BTW after install, OME require a heap of paperwork saying what was installed, what height it was and is, how much fuel is in the tank ! etc etc etc. So if the installer gets it wrong and there's a problem.....................
Good luck sorting your way through it. Best change I ever made to my vehicle!
AnswerID: 166544

Follow Up By: Quartzy - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 21:53

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 21:53
Thanks Footloose!
I think you meant that 850 is for winches etc? I was told that it is rated for 50 - 100kg of extra weight eg. winches, steel bars dual batts etc but that because my car is a diesel it weighs 50 kg heavier to start with : therefore with dual batts and a bar im about 70kg above normal. but other guys have said that there's no difference btwn the pertol and diesel.Confused? So amI!
Cheers for the post,
Rgds
Quartzy
FollowupID: 421451

Reply By: Footloose - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 22:02

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 22:02
You could be right, I wasn't really paying all that much attention...except to the price :))
My springs were the original ones at 200K. They were kerstuffled, well and truly and I didnt realize how bad they had become. Until they were unsafe. Then I worked it out....ah duh Footy. Funny thing was that two professional mechs drove the vehicle and said there was nothing wrong with the suspension...so I wasn't alone !
The OME shocks had been on for 100k, nothing wrong with them but got new ones anyway...now have spares. The steering damper (OE) was kerstuffled.
When the installer drove the vehicle he came back with a smile, telling me that I'd smile also after a few K's. He was right, I'm still smiling. Hope that you are when yours is done.
AnswerID: 166551

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 23:17

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 23:17
Mate I got my OME fitted at ARB Rockhampton and they set up my troopie A1 , they wanted to know what and where I go and how much weight ,Call Russell at ARB Rocky and even If you don't live in Qld I feel sure he will do backward flips to help you, And when I got the car back from the workshop and headed off down the road I was amazed at the difference, and on the rough it takes it in it's stride
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 166564

Reply By: Hero - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 23:19

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 23:19
Sounds like their trying to confuse the buggery out of you. They should be suggesting the correct setup to YOU, they are the supposed experts.
Try looking other places also, as there are plenty of good packages available.

With the castor kit, You dont NEED it for a 2" lift, however you will gain extra road feel and steering self centring, so its down to personal preference whether you want to spend the bucks.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 166565

Reply By: Quartzy - Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 23:28

Tuesday, Apr 11, 2006 at 23:28
Thanks guys.
Will keep trying to get hold of installers who do these combos regularly to see what would be best in my situ.
Cheers
Quartzy
AnswerID: 166567

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 09:24

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 09:24
Hi Quartzy
For yout hzj105 i would not recommend 951 front, as the diesel weighs at least 100 kg more than a petrol...so 851 up front.
If you carry no accessories on the back, but load it up every now and then for a run, minimum 863....if you absolutely need comfort, 860.
If you want to try some of these springs, i have a set in the garage...
Andrew Wollongong
FollowupID: 423758

Sponsored Links