TURBO 4 LN106 3L

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 12, 2006 at 21:58
ThreadID: 32847 Views:14057 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
heyho again,

ok im being post greedy.sorry.

would anyone here with more knowledge than I consider putting a turbo on a 16 yo motor with 275K ? Its assumed the motor is in good nick. I might need a fuel pump overhaul... or should I bite the bullet and retire this one to the paddock?

thanks
richo
havagoodeaster!

and as Im sure our good forum hosts will agree, drive safely! (i.e. defensively)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve M - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 08:50

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 08:50
richo

I have looked into doing this myself to a Ln106 3L 300Km. It is a good idea for this motor but it really depends on the motor condition.

You say " it is assumed the motor is in good nick" but if your motor burns ANY oil past the rings you will have problems with the turbo. Does it burn oil ? ie virtually no oil use (assumung no leaks past seals etc). If NO then it may be OK.

If you are going to do it then I recommend a FULL kit including manifold, crossover, exhaust etc rather than having stuff made up. This may not be the cheapest option but will save $$ and hassles in the long run and can be fitted yourself in a day. (someone will need to set the turbo after its fitted)

Steve
AnswerID: 166848

Reply By: Anthony - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 11:53

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 11:53
Hi

I put a denco turbo on a LN106 hilux at 180,000kms after a compression test showed all ok. Set at 10psi boost, which seemed to be the best setting after the boys had run it on the dyno at different boost settings. The turbo kit included a full stainless steel exhaust system.

The good points are. The turbo double the horsepower at the back wheels, with the turbo cutting in around 1300 plus rpm. It was great to drive, would tow a 1.4 tonne camper and even was able to overtake other cars while towing ... amazing for a 3L.

The things you need to know. The turbo is fine without towing but generates heaps of heat underload (eg towing up hills). Be prepared to modify/replace the radiator to try and stop overheating. The same when towing on the flat when the temp is mid to high 30’s. I had a more efficient radiator (copper not Aluminium) fitted by Natrad (about $600 + fitting) but still did not solve all the heat problems.

You will need to put in a heavy duty clutch. Also, the enable you to change the oil filter you will need to have put of the inside RHS guard cut away to provide access to the oil filter for removal and replace. I had already done the full pump.

After 35,000kms of driving and towing with the hilux (not all the time) I traded it on a ’03 model TD Prado. Looking back, knowing the problems with trying to get more power for the Lux, I would have gone a bought the Prado straight off … but its was fun. I really enjoyed driving the turbo lux around when it wasn’t towing.

I’ve heard through the grapevine that the bloke who bought my old lux, loves it and his mate wants to do the same to his lux. – cheers Anthony

AnswerID: 166871

Reply By: richopesto - Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 12:16

Thursday, Apr 13, 2006 at 12:16
Thanks all for your very useful thoughts. much appreciated.

My motor uses NO oil, which is a good start. and I dont tow anything, i just want a bit more grunt up hills.

My radiator will definitely need upgrading, its got a dozen patches on it ! ( a few I even did myself, very proud) thanks for that tip !

Unfortunately, I still have to make up my own mind !

cheers all !
havagoodeaster
richopesto

AnswerID: 166873

Reply By: waynet - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 21:57

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 21:57
Hi richopesto

I have just answered a similar question on post 32774 sugesting fitting a 5L non electronic motor. I am very happy with the conversion I have just done. I had a larger radiator made by NATRAD but it still did not completely cure the temperature rise on hot days when I am towing he camper trailer (this was with the old 2L motor, I have not tried it with the 5L yet). If you buy a turbo for the 3L it will also fit the 5L if you decide to go that way later. With 275k on the 3L I would have a compression test and a cylinder leak test done to check the motor condition before fitting a turbo. I would recommend keeping the boost down to 5 to 7 psi which will also keep the temperatures down, use a water cooled turbo (Garrett T25) and consider fitting a water/air intercooler. Contact TURBOGLIDE in Woolongong, they can give you all the info that you need.

Happy camping
Wayne
AnswerID: 167072

Sponsored Links