UHF HANDHELD

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 16:53
ThreadID: 3286 Views:1770 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
As ufh handhels don't have a very good range i would like to add a different antenna, is there anyway i can do this? if there is please help me. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chopper - Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 17:21

Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 17:21
james, what type of handheld do you have, is it 1w or 5w (or 500mw).

There isn't a lot that you can do with the little units, butthere are certainly worthwhile options for the 5w variety.

AnswerID: 12741

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 17:45

Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 17:45
If the antenna on your handheld detaches, then you simply buy an adaptor to fit between your handheld's antenna socket and a standard higher gain antenna.

If it doesn't detach, then probably cheaper to buy an in-car unit and keep the handheld as a backup.
AnswerID: 12743

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 18:18

Sunday, Feb 09, 2003 at 18:18
If you think your going to get same range as a car unit, please slap yourself....

They wont... Simple as that.

Some of the professional(read:EXPENSIVE) units get respectable range, but the normal 1-5w unit wont...

If its a $99 Dick Smith unit, then just be happy it works.
AnswerID: 12749

Reply By: victor - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 06:48

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 06:48
GJ,
I was looking at the hand helds, also, this one below in fact it doesnt say the ratings in this advert. Does anyone have any info on the range and ratings of this unit. Its a well known Australian brand but a less expensive model.
Interested in any info.
Regards victor.

GME TX610 UHF CB Handheld
The latest from GME Electrophone!!!
Features:
Scan
Dual Watch
CTCSS
Keypad Lock
Monitor Switch
Accessory Connection

SHIPPING $5.00 AUSTRALIA WIDE!!!!

PRICE: $119.00 (Including GST
AnswerID: 12780

Follow Up By: Savvas - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:05

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:05
Victor,

The TX610 is a 1watt unit .... info is available here ....

http://www.gme.net.au/land/tx610_specifications.html
FollowupID: 7446

Follow Up By: Truckster - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:48

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 09:48
1watt is nothing.....

I have a UH-056 I got off ebay, retail is $469, I got for $120... Inc charger the lot... there are bargains to be had, trading post, club mags, BUT KNOW WHAT RETAIL IS BEFORE YOU GO BIDDING OR BUYING SECOND HAND.!
FollowupID: 7453

Reply By: Jarrod - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 17:51

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 17:51
James, here my reply to a question that was posed on th 15th of January. I have simply cut and pasted it here for you...sorry if some of it is irrelevant

Most Half decent UHF HANDHELDs have antennas that are detachable. This is achieved(in most cases) by using standard Co-axial connectors. By obtaining the correct connector type, Most common is "BNC" (bayonnet type) or "TNC" - similar size, but Screw on, You can use either a "magnetic base " type arrangement (if you want something quite temporary) or you can mount an antenna on your Bull bar/ Guard etc. Then using 50 ohm co-axial cable ( refered to as RG- 58) type, run this from your antenna to the co-axial connector BNC/TNC type, then plugs into your HANDHELD. As for the connector, to ascertain type, check the specs. section of the radio. Ther are two common types of termination methods for most RF connectors - One is crimp, and the other is Compression. A crimp type is generally quicker and cheaper, but the necessary crimp tool is required. - provided this is done correctly, and a strain relieving boot is used directly behind the connector (I would strongly recommend this anyway, as you are using a HANDHELD that would be flexing the cable) A crimp connector will be stronger and last longer than a compression type. - A compression type connector is a hell of a lot more fiddly to terminate, but no speacial tools required, sidecutters, stanley knife, soldering iron. thats it. - but I wouldnt reccomend you try this one with no previous experience. - damage to your new HANDHELD would be quite possible, heaps of tiny "outer braid " wirestrands go everywhere when stripping co-ax. one of these inside your connector and your portable wont work/last long.

If you have a radio supplies/workshop nearby, they could do a crimp connector on the end of 5 mtrs of co-ax for you for about $ 10 -15.

As for the antenna,

1. Magnetic base - you can screw a couple of different antenna types onto a common 5/16th thread, I would recomend a " 5/8th co-linear" (these are either stainless wire or fibreglass braided) about 500mm long and have a coiled section just short of half way up. The most common type you would probably see on many 4x4's. or you could use a 1/4 wave - just a 11 cm piece of wire that screws onto the antenna base. - The advantages of the longer antenna are that it Has " GAIN" or operates more efficiently than the smaller antenna. It does this by electrically altering the pattern in which your signals are sent/received. - effectivly Squashing them, - why waste power transmitting straight up ??! - disadvantages - they are a bit more expensive, and may be prone to getting knocked / damaged by overhanging trees. ( even more crucial if you use a magnetic base.) Magnetic bases are also prone to leaving stratches in the middle of your roof. However this is the best place to mount one.

2. Bullbar / guard mount. Would recommend ground independant type base, - this uses a metal tube as a "feeder" for the antenna and produces a more even radiation pattern (more circular around your car!) Used on Most emergency sevice vehicles. i.e. POLICE. ambos. then you could attach either of the above two antennas. Would suggest the co-linear. You could just use a standard antenna base on the bullbar but transmission distances would be severly reduced in one direction. ( blocked by your cars metal roof.)

Get the antenna installation check out when complete - the VSWR or Voltage Standing Wave Ratio this will tell you how effectively your antenna is working, and the transmitt power of your HANDHELD. - I would recommend a HANDHELD that has the maximum allowable UHF CB transmit power of 5 watts. ( some only Tx 1 watt.) and all 40 channels and repeater access are a must if you want to be able to communcate with everyboiby

as for DC / extenal power, once aGAIN check the Specs of the radio. You dont want one that can only be charged by ext. 12V not actually Run on 12V - some claim to but in actual fact just float charge the battery. Most HANDHELDs use Nickel Cadmium (Ni -Cads) cells, and float charging them will kill them quite quickly. They need to be cycled ( which you could do from the cabin of if your car but you need to be quite dilligent, ) and the other thing is you need to let the battery go completely flat before recharging. - something you probably want to avoid !! - Two batteries fixes that one though.!!

My personal opinion, is get a mobile (in car radio.) permanantly mounted. easier to use on the run (see channel No., controls easier), direct wired to your battery, easier to hear if mounted correctly, not getting nocked around, Once you add up cost of HANDHELD, extenal antenna (magnetic base) battery lead/extra battery, you'd be close to the cost af a mobile.

Just my 20 cents worth. ( and 15 yrs in the trade !!!)

Jarrod.

AnswerID: 12819

Reply By: Piers - Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 18:55

Monday, Feb 10, 2003 at 18:55
When in convoy I use a handheld Uniden UH-050XR. This is the more expensive (c. $350) but more powerful type (5w). I unscrew the aerial and plug in a coaxial connecting into an antenna with a magnetic base that happily sits on the roof or roof rack - the advantage of this being (a) I can eaily and quickly take the aeriel up and down (b) the roof/rack acts as an aerial as well to help increase range (c) the roof mountable aerieal and coaxial is relatively cheap c. $30.

The problem of course with these type of radios is that they work best when in line of sight of each other. Having the roof mountable aeriel certainly increases range over standard, and if I'm really lucky the range will be 15kms. Realistically though I rely on a few kms - which is generally just the amount required when in convoy.

Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 12824

Sponsored Links