looking for a 3Lt T/D Hi Lux

Submitted: Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 14:26
ThreadID: 32890 Views:2207 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
looking to buy a Toyota 3Lt T/D to tow the van, what's the smallest engine you can get in a Cruiser ? for economy we'd like to go no higher than a 3Lt, been looking at surf's but seem to be showing thier age now though would still like one if it was immaculate with service history, and I think the Prado may just be out of our budget, any sugestions ?
thanks in advance,
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 16:51

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 16:51
4.2 Ltr Turbo diesel or Naturally aspirated in the Cruiser.

AnswerID: 167022

Follow Up By: adamj1300 - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 18:09

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 18:09
depends how big or heavey ur van is & whats ur budget
are u after the newer hilux or the older ones with the 3 litre donk in them
mind u id personaly go a navera i think around 99 or 00 on wards cheaper, more power, & better towing capacity!
FollowupID: 422042

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 18:56

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 18:56
You may be setting yourself up for disappointment.

Economy when towing with 4wd's with the smaller motors is vastly different to what you expect.

A smaller motor like the 2.5ltr in my Courier & 3 litre in the Hilux have to owrk harder when towing than say the bigger 4.2's in some other trucks.

That and the fact that you shouldn't tow in 5th if you want to be nice to your gearbox and have it last the trip combine to make for some ordinary consumption figures.

Over 4500km of Bitumen & dirt with a little offroading (very little), from the Victoria to the Flinders Ranges, upto Arkaroola, across & up the Oodnadatta to William Ck and then back to the bitumen for the trip home from Coober Pedy we averaged 20ltrs/100km towing an off road camper (tent on top of trailer type).

Even on the highway without towing it tends to be around the 13-15ltr/100km. (Roof rack, canopy, bullbar and autotune don't help).

These little motors work harder to do the same work than say a bigger donk in a Patrol. (Bit like the larger capacity V6 in the older Magnas being more economical generally than the smaller 4 cylinder in the same vehicle.)

You can go that way if you want but my next truck will be a 4.2ltr Patrol. With any sort of luck the rapidly increasing price of fuel will have the opposite effect on the second hand prices of these sort of vehicles.

Dave
AnswerID: 167041

Follow Up By: Aandy(WA) - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 22:48

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 22:48
Only problem with the Patrol is that it is as you quite rightly say - a truck - and who wants to go four wheel driving in a truck when you can do it in comfort in a Cruiser or Prado?
FollowupID: 422082

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 04:12

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 04:12
Hi Andy,

Granted, but so is the Cruiser. At least in size. The independant front end doesn't lend itself to a lift, same goes for the Prado on that count.

My lovely wife would probably prefer the Prado but if what I'm looking for is a bigger diesel to do some towing work I don't end up far in front of what I've got now. 2.5ltr to 3 ltr isn't much of a step up though the Prado motor is possibly a far better motor technologically than what I have already.

I need to talk to a few Prado owners who have carted off road campers around in the high country to see where they've gone towing what. My wife is of the opinion that now we have it, she'll go if we take it. I have the opinion that some trips are still better suited to tents, she's wearing that argument for the next trip as I've argued that we will slow the group down needing lower gears than them for the same climbs. But I can see that when I want to go into the Wonnangatta in November/December again she will want to go for a week in the camper rather than a tent. I know I use low first now for some climbs so I'm figuring I am going to need more power therefore bigger truck to get in with an OR camper on the back. I could probably get up some of those climbs in low 2nd but don't see the point in flogging the truck to do it so it's certainly not working hard in low 1st. How much harder would it work towing an 800kg trailer?

Maybe I'm wrong - but we would find an extra couple of seats useful too which is the other reason for an upgrade. The only way to find out is to go and try but that's a time consuming exercise if unsuccessful. It's also harder to reverse out of difficulty when towing.

We've been where we want to get to with a petrol GQ towing a T'van. They are fairly heavy compared to our Kanga. Dunno really. Til we try a few things and see where we get to we won't really know.

Dave
FollowupID: 422108

Follow Up By: Dave Thomson - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 17:56

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 17:56
Yes look guy's ,should have explained the van weighs 1250K's, and have used a 2001 Patrol to tow and got fantastic consumption {7.3 K's to the Lt towing and 10.5 not}, so I'd have to say a 3Lt T/D engine is the only way to go, the down side of the Patrol is parts, they are not stupid but more insane, fuel pump at 5 grand, turbo at 7 grand, and a small mortgage for an engine is to say the least scary, anyhow I'd heard good reports from the Prado and am now looking at buying one , after speaking to mister bank manager and arranging a loan from him,it's just a matter of finding one ,that should be easy aye ??? if only.......... to get the right model right mileage and service history etc is a nightmare, and then theres the haggling over the price etc, that's why I was thinking of an older surf, but all to no avail at the mo' anyhow I'm going to bury my head in the sand and it will all sort itself out , but thanks for the input it's appreciated,
best regards,
Dave
FollowupID: 422192

Sponsored Links