2006 TD L/Cruiser GPS System

Submitted: Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 22:39
ThreadID: 32904 Views:1742 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Question for the Toyota and Technically minded experts. My L/Cruiser has a build-in GPS system. The system operates from a CDRom disk, distributed by "Whereis" V12.
Question is, would it be possible to get a line from this system, picking up the NMEA signal, and connect direct to my laptop in the car and Oziexplorer via the serial port
If it is possible, how do I go about it.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: hotdfa - Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 23:07

Friday, Apr 14, 2006 at 23:07
The sat nav in your toyota runs a gps wire to the gps aerial which is on to of the instrument cluster, a reverse wire and a power wire,
it runs a multi plex cable from the dvd player/processor under the pass seat to the head unit. so the answer would be very hard to give unless you wanted to bare the cable and find the correct wire which no one could tell you it would be trial and error......
AnswerID: 167082

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 04:29

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 04:29
Given that it doesn't need to give out an NMEA output it probably doesn't anyway. The aerial wire is only the signal to the "smarts" so it won't be that. The processor probably only outputs the display data to the screen. If the nmea is available anywhere at all, it will most likely be off the board somewhere and without a PCB diagram and a penchant for damaging a very expensive part you probably won't find it.

Get a bluetooth GPS (wireless) for a couple of hundred bucks - possibly 20% of the value of the damage that could be done if you smoke the factory unit. Definately the cheaper way to go. Some like the Haicom unit I use are even rechargeable (about 20hrs life) so when you are using it there's no leads anyway. And no risk.

Dave
FollowupID: 422109

Reply By: Member - George (WA) - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:59

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:59
sounds like some good advise here. Not likely to risk muking around with the wiring unless I know exactly what to do and that seems unlikely at this stage
Thanks for the advise
Cheers
AnswerID: 167183

Sponsored Links