9500pd winch strength

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 18:42
ThreadID: 32917 Views:2115 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
just went out the bush to test my brand new 9500 winch and as you do got bogged, but to my HUGE dissapointment i stayed bogged and had to get pulled out. i was fairly well bogged but should that pull me out it was only a single line pull as my friend who borrowed my pully didnt return it . any comments stories or theroys[spelt wrong]would be great
cheers bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: David from David and Justine Olsen's 4WD Tag-Along - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 18:46

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 18:46
If you were well bogged you could easily exceed the ability of the winch to pull you out with a single line pull.
AnswerID: 167153

Reply By: ACDC - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 19:42

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 19:42
Also depends on how many layers of cable were on the drum,you lose about 500lb per layer.

What brand of winch was it?
AnswerID: 167161

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:11

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:11
I have been ridiculed for saying these winches do not have the strength to pull a well bogged vehicle out but your findings are the same as mine. Especially if you have an 80 or 100 they have a flat belly and when fully bogged even a 10,000p (my findings) dont even go close to pulling them out on a single pull and on a double pull I still managed to pull out a tree and snap off and tear from the ground a large chunk of granite, Bottom line Winches might be ok for mild bogs and vehicles without as flat bottoms like 79 series utes (I have had good results with winches with these) but otherwise A Highlift and plenty of debris to put under the wheels is often a better bet especially as it allows you to backtrack rather than get pulled forward further into the poo
AnswerID: 167170

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 22:30

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 22:30
G'day....lol

I think that there are a lot of aspects to be taken into account when winching. Sometimes some preparation is needed and sometimes, if you are on your own, you must assist the winch by keeping your wheels moving. If you truck is bottomed out you will most likely need a snatchblock and some road work underneath is the mud and slush.

I had a mega bog up north some years ago and we ended up with three winches doubled up with around 36.000pounds of pull. Even then we had to spend an hour digging away a creek embankment.

Last year my mate bogged his GU at the Israelite Bay jetty and I managed a single line pull with the 9500. Had the cable would out a fair bit though. He also helped by keeping the wheels turning.
FollowupID: 422244

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 23:27

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 23:27
Your right about the variables. I got bogged a few times for work a while back skirting saltlakes and on most occasions a single line pull did it. I put this down mostly to the type of tyres we had which were not aggressive at all so most boggings didnt result in them digging straight down and the ute sitting on its guts.
Wheras m unsuccessfull attempts were in Granite peat bog where the vehicle just sunk and sat on its guts with the wheels just idling around. To make it worse the peat is still firm enough you cant pull a vehicle through like you might on sloppy mud or sand.
Oh well I will be moving to the city soon so my biggest challenges will be to not get lost and avoid road rage rather than bogs and flat tyres
FollowupID: 422254

Follow Up By: Gramps (NSW) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 08:39

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 08:39
Davoe,

And don't go mounting gutters to take shortcuts in the city :))))))))

I'm looking forward to hearing of your adventures in the Big Smoke.

Regards
FollowupID: 422441

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 23:51

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 23:51
Bob

Have a look here Warn Winches. When checking out the winches note the kg/lbs ratings at various areas of the drum (spool). Any other brand will give similiar rating charts.

Warn also suggest that your winch be purchased based on 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle.

You are at least down to the 3rd or 4th row cable and when checking the chart the straight line pull cannot handle your vehicle weight.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 167194

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 19:03

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 19:03
Bob there is alot more to winching than just hooking up to a tree & pushing the button :-) A difficult recovery will always need to be double blocked so you should be dissapointed in your mate not returning it, not the winch. A shovel is always your best friend in the mud so before any recovery a bit of preparation removing excess crud in front of the 4 tyres & diffs will always assist. Dead dragging a car through deep mud is very hard on any winch so you need to get the vehicle up on top. A little track building with rocks or timber should help, a hilift jack too can get the car up allowing solid packing to be put under the tyres. Running out all the cable to a tree further away will ensure the best pulling capacity off the bottom layer & asisting by driving slowly in low first will take the pressure off the cable.
Not sure how the winch was wired up but the pulling power will vary between cars due to the battery (capacity, age, type), altenator size & how good the electrical connections are. 1 loose earth wire & it wont pull the skin off a rice pudding. Idling the motor up to 1200 revs will increase the altenator output to near it's maximum supplying more power to the winch.
A correctly set up 9500lb winch will pull most 4bys out every time but they wont do it on their own, you've got to help them.
Cheers Craig..........
9500lb Ramsey wired to 2 x 115amp hour deep cycle Batts.
AnswerID: 167253

Sponsored Links