do i need a snorkel?

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 20:40
ThreadID: 32921 Views:2353 Replies:7 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
would we need a snorkel fitted to do our trip in late aug into september??? (ood track,plenty hwy,diamantina dev rd,walkers crossing,bore track......)

Laura B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:32

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:32
I have had no ill side effects from vehicles without snorkels even the petrol pathy I took to cape york the tanami central Oz ect. Keep a good air filter on standby and check the one in the vehicle regularly if the going is really dusty and replace if neccessary. Water crossings (which should not apply on your intended route but you never know) should definately be taken with a lot more caution, tarp up if undecided. Better to be safe than sorry.

Most of all have fun.
Trevor.
AnswerID: 167179

Follow Up By: Laura B - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:36

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:36
def taking a tarp cos if theres gonna be a need for them it'll be us needing it!!

we never have the need where we go so far so i think it would be a waste of cash but if we are goin to have to keep putting tarps on then we'll get one!!

gonna get 2 or 3 of those washable air filters....

Laura b
FollowupID: 422238

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:40

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:40
A tarp of suitable size in blue plastic can be had from WA salvadge for 1 dollar - hardly bank breaking stuff!
FollowupID: 422240

Reply By: Member - Loco Locums - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:35

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:35
Hi Laura,
You will theoretically be travelling those roads in the driest time of the year and should be hard pressed to find a large body of water...... to be honest if you were in a situation of being faced with "Cruising at periscope depth" on those roads/tracks then you shouldn't for safety sake.

Just sit it out and wait for the water level to drop or hit the maps and find an alternative route. Save your "Snorkel money" for fuel to get you places.

We are actually doing all those roads/tracks ourselves in May and June...Only 8 more DAZE of working this motel and we're off like robbers dogs.

2 months in Central OZ Can't wait.

Enjoy your trip

Rick & Julie
AnswerID: 167180

Follow Up By: Laura B - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:38

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 21:38
we are very good at breaking droughts...usually so we can make it rain in the dry season!!LOL!!

enjoy and let us know how it was!!!

Laura B
FollowupID: 422239

Follow Up By: Member - Loco Locums - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 22:16

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 22:16
YEP...we've seen rain in the red stuff and we just sat it out.....that country is different to say crossing a deepish river/creek on the Cape. I did the Cape in '87 and '89...had a friend lived up there who owned a cattle station and they used to order 3 months of supplies for the WET season and have them flown into the property by the mail plane from Cairns.......the plane landed on the property airstrip and taxied right up to the house. They then sat upstairs after moving the lounges up from the cooler room down stairs as the flood waters would engulf the ground floor.

Their snorkels would get a work out when they were invited "Next Door"for a BBQ.

They'd set off for the BBQ with the eskies in the back of the Toyota Tray Back..along with the TINNIE for when the snorkel looked like going under.

The Cape is totally different country to the flood plains of Central OZ which was an inland sea millions of years ago......"MEESA no Play with Snorkels in the Desert".

Will report when we get back with hundreds of pics....will make a web site and upload the photos to a gallery....should be fun.

Keep well Laura.
Rick n Julie
FollowupID: 422242

Follow Up By: Marn - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 10:06

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 10:06
Hi Laura. If you are good a breaking droughts could you please include Broken Hill in your travels?:)
FollowupID: 422303

Follow Up By: Laura B - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 11:33

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 11:33
B'Hill is one of our first stops,after dubbo and maybe Cobar seeinghow the gils take to the car.......

Laura
FollowupID: 422309

Reply By: Willem - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 22:43

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 22:43
No

You will be driving in the direst part of the driest continent on earth. You might see some water in the Diamantina River at Birdsvill but thats about it

But if you found a 2nd hand snorkle lying around it is good to have especially in dusty conditions. Also puts a little bit more rammed air down you into your engine for better performance. The jury is still out on that one tho ....lol

Cheers
AnswerID: 167187

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 22:48

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 22:48
don't look at the typos....must be tired....lol

Not 'rammed earth down you' at all...hahahahaha sorry
FollowupID: 422247

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 23:36

Saturday, Apr 15, 2006 at 23:36
Only if you are also taking the periscope... :o)

On the topic of air cleaners seriously consider a Unifilter/Finerfilter if you are going into really dusty country. Especially if in convoy.

Some turps or their filter cleaner (or petrol if you are a bit naughty) and a small bottle of filter oil and a plastic bag is then all you need to do a filter clean while you're away.

That and you never have to buy another air cleaner element again, less landfill, cheaper in the long run.....etc.

They aren't expensive. Mine was about $90 and it's paid for itself twice over.

Dave

AnswerID: 167192

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 08:26

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 08:26
The problem with not having a snorkel (and I don't) is that the Rain God sees you coming. I've often thought I'd put one on (usually as I'm walking the track checking depth etc).
Having seen that country dry (very) and wet (much to my astonishment), I prefer dry. Or maybe just a bit after the wet.
As Willem says, you won't need one but they are good to have for various reasons. Saw a Jack blow a motor in a puddle that everyone else went through. They took the wrong line and didn't walk it first.
Just be sure to take a brolly, and a tarp, and be very careful around "puddles".
AnswerID: 167203

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 09:21

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 09:21
Hello Laura,

August and september are notoriously the driest months of the year, in areas that you plan to travel. But others have told you that.

The flood in the Diamantina is almost a non-event this year, while the Cooper is much better, read here, BIGGER! But that water should be long gone by Aug-Sept, even at Walker's Crossing.

On snorkels, you shouldn't need one, but it often doesn't take much for water to rise up to dangerous level. ie bow wave effect. Footy has described it well.

As for air filter elements, I would stick with paper elements. In fact one clean element should do the whole trip, regardless of how dusty it turns out to be. Keep out of other vehicles dust, where practical, and it will only need a clean, or be replaced, on your return home.

As for washable/oilable filters, they seem good, and are in some cases. But they need regular cleaning, don't filter out dust as well as paper filters, so are potentially bad for your engine life. We have a washable one on our 80 series at moment, but it is only used for our yearly trip to coast, on bitumen roads. Take the case of Caterpillar earthmoving machinery, all their air filters are paper!

We live on Diamantina, Laura, and only use paper filters in our work vehicles.

Enjoy your trip, will expect plenty of photos to be posted,

Hooroo...

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 167211

Reply By: Rob Ackland - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:09

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:09
Laura some interesting discussion regarding snorkels which is fine for dust and water but most seem to forget that the highest risk of water ingress is into axles where water can bring an end to diffs, wheel bearings etc. So if you plan on fitting a snorkel then the benefits of also fitting diff breathers that are extended above wading height is always something to also do. As any water flowing over the diffs can get in via the normal breather and/or the wheel bearings there is possibly more benefit and a lower cost in just doing them as you could get more benefit more often. But not sure of your driving habits. In short snorkels are good to reduce dust and water and exteneded diff breathers are useful to anyone who passes through water even if it is less than wheel height

Enjoy the experience

Rob
AnswerID: 167837

Sponsored Links