Yalwal to Berry/Kangaroo Valley

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 15:03
ThreadID: 32932 Views:6125 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
15-20 Years ago we used to camp with the south coast 4wd club at Rabbit tree flat, Mackenzie Stn, etc and travel back home via Berry or Kangaroo valley, we used to cross the shaolhaven around Coolenel and then a tough little hill climb up what we called Bugong Hill. Now I'm not sure of this hill climb name, but if anyone knows this track, has gps treck or waypoints, or could give me any new knowledge on this way out, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks alot,
Luke
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 19:55

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 19:55
Gday
from my distant memory, The Illaroo property (at the end of Ilaroo road Nowra) is the property you traversed to get out to Kangaroo valley. It is directly accross the shoalhaven from Coolandel, but the crossing at the river is now gated/blocked.
Andrew
AnswerID: 167261

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 21:50

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 21:50
Illaroo farm is directly opposite my old house in Burrier and opp the quarry...coolendel is further up....to get to the valley you need to leave Illaroo farm and head back to the intersection and turn left and that will take you up and through to the Valley via Tallowa Dam and Fruit World.....over Mount Skanzi.....

to cross at Burrier/Illaroo Farm you need to not cross at the pump station...like in my old photo of our 80 .....but head back the track (which is private property ) on Burrier side and head towards the quarry a bit then cross...use to get the ford across here piece of bleep !!! Except now that Geoff has sold illaroo Farm when his wife died and now its an Aboriginal community and they get real dirty if you go across there!!! So its the long way round these days!!!

Not sure about crossing at colendel - rescued plenty out of there though!!!LOL!!

Laura B
FollowupID: 422631

Reply By: Laura B - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 20:45

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 20:45
Im a local mate and have lived out at Burrier (on the way out to Coolendel) for while and havent heard of McKenzie station or Rabbit Tree Flat. I still live in the area and still havent come across these places - except coolendel...

These are now very private property, if you wish to cross at Illaroo Farm which is 18km??? town end of Coolendel....I could ask my friend if you could cross at the crossing at Illaroo farm seeing that both are private and crown land..going up the hill is not an option as far as I know...been kicked out lately for trying to go through....

Baically its a no can do because its all private property - gates and all with keys needed........have gone over the Burrier topo map and I cannt find anything that an help you.....Even Ettrema is a no can do no more!!!

Hope this isnt too disappointing for you....

Laura B
AnswerID: 167269

Reply By: Mayso - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:16

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:16
Thanks for the help,
Rabbit Tree Flat, LOL. I meant Apple Tree Flat. With Ettrama being closed off it took alot of great tracks and camp sites away unless you want to hike in. We used to go there in the early 80's, and I think it was declared a wilderness in '97, could be wrong though.
Here's a bit on McKenzie Station.
quote from hiking site:

"This reasonably flat walk will follow Yalwal Ck (starting at the bottom of Yalwal Gap where the Shoalhaven Water Supply is located) to McKenzie Station and back. Map: Yalwal. Note: No 2MP.
Did you know? The property is on the Shoalhaven River, and was granted to Richard Henry Brown in 1837, but he soon sold it to Dr Kenneth McKenzie, a leading citizen of the nineteenth century. He had the colonial mansion Bundanon built in 1866."

Thanks again
AnswerID: 167296

Follow Up By: Laura B - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 21:03

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 21:03
you had me in adventure mode after this thread last night so today we went on a little adventure - 6 hours worth - and got into Yalwal creek fire trail from the Burrier side (near coolendel) and the track eventually dissappeared....got to 2 small creek crossings then nothing!! Looks like nothing has gone through for at least 15yrs!! if not more.....

Nathan and Ross have tried it on the bikes and couldnt get through......most recent topo maps says that gates ate locked......hang the locks - there isnt any track!!!

I now know where the Station is....about 1/3 of the way across Old Burrier Fire Trail (from Burrier end - heading towards Yalwal road)...on the right there is a ridge ( McKenzie Saddle) and it is directley behind that!! I use to ride the Motorbikes up there(O'B'F'T) when the bush fires ripped through there in 01 and 02 xmas.....used to sit up there for hours and watch the fires coming over the McKenzie Saddle.......could feel the heat and all!! 4 days later OBFT went up in flames......even watched Georgia Peach and Elvis at work and refuelling in our paddocks!!! aaahhhh - the memories of having no fear!!

heres some more info for you while we are at it....

Burrier was given to Mary Reiby - the first lady to receive land off the government and has been in the family ever since and is now canola,hay and beef stock.....starts from gradys retreat fence line and all the way past the quarry (quarry land is owned by Boral) and past the silo's and to the pumping station on both sides of the road as well as down Old Burrier Road and beyond.......Mavis (friends mother) used to own Ettrema Gorege also untill it was bought off her and made into National Park.....shame though i tell ya!!still keep an eye on it when we're out in the chopper.....

Good luck....if your ever out that way let me know!!

Laura B
FollowupID: 422601

Sponsored Links