100 Series Air Filter

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 20:53
ThreadID: 32940 Views:1802 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
My 1998 100 series RV Diesel has the normal factory air filter, now with a Safari Snorkle fitted.
I have now noticed that the air filter 'drum' has an opening at the lower engine side. On previous & other models I've had this had a clip-off dust container that collected dust and bees, wasps, grasshoppers, etc.
Mine does not have this!!!!
My concern is if I do a deep water crossing will water be sucked in via this hole or not?
Any advice out there?
Regards
Parso
2012 Toyota Landcruiser 200 Series Sahara.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:42

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:42
The idea of the hole is to let water out if any gets in. Particularly on a truck used in a water crossing with no snorkel.

I think it was one of the Jackaroo's had a one way valve on it's air filter box. Seems like a good idea.

I've often wondered where you might get something like that.

I've been given conflicting advice on what to do with that hole myself. The snorkel installation instructions said to block it off. A friend of mine who's a very good mechanic & experienced 4wder reckons leave it. His rationale - it's too small to allow much water in and if you do get any water down your snorkel through washing or a leak in the quarter panel crossing passage you really want it to get out somewhere.

Jury's still out for me. A one way self draining trap like on a compressor water filter would be good.

Dave
AnswerID: 167288

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 02:56

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 02:56
Unless I have misunderstood you are saying the clip off dust container is not there at all? and you are not just talking about the water drain thingo at the bottom of the bowl? From memory the 100 series bowls are a pita to clip back on compared to the 79 series. They are easy to do wrong and could have fallen off. For some reason things that fall off in the engine bay rarely dissapear so the first thing i would do is have a good look around the nooks and crannys below. Failing that it should be easy to get one from your Tojo dealer or wrecker
AnswerID: 167316

Follow Up By: Member - Hughesy (SA) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 07:01

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 07:01
I'd say you've got it in one Davoe. The cover only clips on one side and therefore unless you line it up correctly it can easily fall off. Atleast on the 75 series (and i'd say on the 78/79) they have 2 clips and you can't get it wrong.

FollowupID: 422438

Sponsored Links