4 WD Motorhome

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:08
ThreadID: 32942 Views:4283 Replies:8 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Over next few months will be on the lookout for a suitable unit to travel outback for extended periods with all the trimmings !!..ASWMBO says ...shower/ toilet, water to last , solar power and cab access...to the double bed !! and I would add..Diesel and as stated ..4 wd.. maybe a Canter or an Isuzu..?? Anyone got any ideas/ info on what's available in the market ? Need to upgrade from the L/cruiser and Aussie Traveller Roof top tent..etc !!
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:31

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:31
Big ask without a budget to work to.

Depends what you want to shell out?

An idea of where to start would be handy, then I dare say the answers will flow forth....

Dave
AnswerID: 167283

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:31

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:31
Steve

Go here link Warrior MH at RVPoint Link should work..Lots of $$$$$.

Also Amesz and Warrior and Innovan for waht appeqars to be a nice tray top.

Have fun.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 167284

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:41

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 21:41
I went around in circles for a while looking at exactly that.

Canter
Isuzu
Hino
OKA
Mercedes
Unimog

Everything is a compromise. So I upgraded to a later model Nissan instead.

Knew a bloke from the Alice who dropped a V8 into a Canter. Gave it a bit more grunt. Also seen a Mercedes 1310 4x4 with home built on back. All very well but a bugger to park in towns and always have to climb up or down into the rig. The older you get the less inclined you feel like doing this...lol. Also a bugger to drive under trees and overgrown tracks

The bigger the vehicle the more expense.

Why not look at a Toyota Arkhana 6x4(lazy axle) or 6x6. Take all the seats out and convert to great 'normal' type camper. Fit a pop top roof. Can fit a bed, shower and Porta in.

Also. Late model Toyota Coaster bus and convert to 4x4. 80 series Landcruiser running gear can be made to fit.

Some ideas.

AnswerID: 167287

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:40

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:40
I thought a 4wd camper would be a good idea but the reality is they are too big to actually fit down most tracks where you would actually use the 4wd and you find yourself trying to plan trips that dont go offroad or hoping the tracks are high and wide enough only too have to turn around 3/4 of the way there
AnswerID: 167301

Reply By: The Tinker - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:49

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:49
How outback are you talking about. I have a 4WD 1 tonne with a body on the back with water tank under chassis, Truma hot water system, water pressure pump, extra sink, solar panels on roof, satellite TV, LCD TV, batteries 1 x 150Ah 1 x 100Ah, evaKool fridge/freezer, 2 x 4kg gas bottle, 2 burner Coleman stove, portable toilet, shower, plus I tow a small 12' caravan x 6' 10" wide which we have taken everywhere and over mountain tracks. The caravan is a pop-top with all the usual stove with oven, fridge, sink, 80 litre water tank, 2 single beds (much better space utilisation in small van) dinette, double hanging cupboard, 2 bedside type cupboards, overhead cupboards, PSW inverter, LCD TV, car radio. We have found this an excellent compromise to not having a vehicle with to much gear loaded. I looked at the 2 tonne Mitsubishi but could still not build all we wanted into it and keep it down to a legal weight limit. The setup we presently have gives us the ability to leave the van parked and setup and do day or two or three night trips around the area, as the truck has everything including double mattress. The back double doors open and we have a roof that mounts over the top of the doors and an annexe made from shade-cloth that seals out all the bugs and mosquitoes. Overall we have found this to be a great comfortable setup and lacking none of the comforts.
AnswerID: 167305

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 11:40

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 11:40
Nice setup you have there Ozi. Do you use it often ?
FollowupID: 422468

Reply By: PhilD - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:31

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:31
I have a Isuzu NPS 300 originally built by Winnebago but I had it customised after I bought it. I tow a 5m boat with it when fishing and can live in comfort and totally self sufficient for lengthy periods of time. It depends on your budget as there are several alternatives but there are second hand vehicles sometimes available at reasonable prices. Checkout the monthly Motorhome Trader as they appear in there.
AnswerID: 167313

Follow Up By: shkfishr - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:55

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 17:55
Phil , sounds like we have the same type of MH .Got ours in Perth & have customised ours somewhat as well .Do you have any pics of yours handy .Had no problems at all so far & has got us to all places we have wanted to go to
FollowupID: 422519

Follow Up By: PhilD - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 21:40

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 21:40
Shkfishr, I have pictures at my office. If you email me on pd@dewing.com.au I will send them to you. We added 4 external hatches, slideout external stove, 320 watts of solar, generator, permanent double bed, fold up single bed, extra 100l water tank, 280l of diesel to replace small tank, 50l unleaded tank, adjustable Konis, dual wheel carrier, pump to fill water tank from tap or river, Recaros in front, laptop in console and gps navigation, air compressor and 40l tank, freezer and fridge, winch, spots, uhf, airconditioning, reading lights etc. All up its very comfortable and will go almost anywhere. If stuck, it has the goods to get out of trouble-at least so far!
FollowupID: 422626

Reply By: Steve - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 09:37

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 09:37
Thanks for all those replies !! The Warrior as advertiswed is a tad over the $$ limit !!, but budget up to 100K ...all usfull info in the answers and really am starting to scratch the surface..want to be able to go where the Landcruiser does , but with a few extra bits for SWMBO..and not have to spend time setting up etc each day/move...
Interesting comment about the heights....

Thanks Steve
AnswerID: 167327

Follow Up By: The Tinker - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 10:01

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 10:01
Steve the importance of not having to unpack and repack everything is paramount. We have been down that path. With our present setup the only thing we have to do is to lift the LCD television up off the bed onto the TV stand when we stop and reverse to move off. The LCD TV is secured by a small neat nylon rope so it cannot escape off the bed onto the floor. All the cables stay plugged in, and lashed all the cables for the aerial, power and set top box into a neat single cable.
Not having to do anything when stopping or moving off especially when raining is a must. Could never own a camper trailer. We sit and watch in amusement when camper trailers unpack or pack. What a job so many of them are, and they take on average 1 to 2 hours for them to get organised to setup and same in the morning to pack up.
FollowupID: 422456

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:54

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:54
Hi Steve
Watched with interest the camping show yesterday....nice new vw synchros on the market....you wont get a motor home to go where your cruiser can...but, probably will get one to go where your cruiser does....lol The vw might be a little small for you, however, it would be exonomical.
Anyway, remember to ask Rod Mcloud in Hornsby, as he has looked extensively at Canters, etc for his family. Lastly, remember that 5th wheeler option....MMMmm
Andrew

AnswerID: 167419

Follow Up By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 17:53

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2006 at 17:53
Rod has bought a big Isuzu, NP 600 I think, same as the RFS tankers, way bigger than normal 4wd's, wouldn't fit down most tracks
FollowupID: 424296

Sponsored Links