Navara ST-X 15,000 km report

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:13
ThreadID: 32944 Views:2395 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
For those that are interested here is a brief report on my Navara ST-X (diesel 6 sp man.) bought new in Dec after first 15,000 kms.:
Petrol consumption seems to have improved and is now averaging 9.5 l/km on normal roads. Ave over 15,000 km is 10.5 inlcuding 2,500 towing a 2.5 tonne van and about 1500 km 4WD in Vic High Country. Performance does not feel to have changed much - ie no loosening up I noticed with my previous diesel Patrol, but is still very impressive.
Still love the thing but as always after use begin to notice a few things not picked up earlier. e.g. despite Nissans claims and intial appearances the rear seat is very tight for adults on leg room - may be best in class but that best is not really very good.
Also noticed a couple of rattles have appeared which is dissapointing as they are lost in the front dash and in the drivers door inards. The turbo whine in low revs when cold is getting me nervous but i think it has been there all along and not getting any worse.
1st gear low is a bit too low for my liking making 'crawling ' a bit diificult as it has a tendancy to surge. Gap to second is a bit high but can do nothing about that.
The vehicle certainlt needs lifting - about 40 - 50 mm should do it and will have this done as soon as ARB have new springs and shockers available.
Seats claim to be 'easy clean' by Nissan which is bulls--t - they attract every little crumb, leaf, or whatever and trap them in it and can only be removed by vacuuming.
The Nissan fitted bin liner is good quality but the actual fitting is lousy - double sided sticky pads on the tail gate which continually fall off so i have screwed it on properly myself.
Another slightly annoying feature is since the ARB steel bar was fitted the trailer indicator lights come on when indicating due to extra indicator lights in bull bar. Nissan and ARB claim nothing can be done about this - anyone else got round it?
Visibilty is very poor (specuially with snotkle and sports bar fitted) and you need a fairly flexible neck to drive one. Try reversing out of an angle parking spot to prove it!
The clamp rails in the back are superb - shame Nissan do not supply decent ratchet tie downs to go with it.
Things I like and didn't really take too much notice of intially are the fold up rear seats for extra space, the enormous tray, quiteness on the bitumen, ride and handling ( yes I knoe it has live rear axle on leafs but it really does a bloody good all round job). Even the corrugations don't have it jumping about too much.
All in all nothing - apart from the annoying couple of rattles - has gone wrong and i would still highly recommend a look at them if you are in the market for something similar.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:31

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:31
G'day

Indicator light problem....Try dropping the wattage in the bulbar indicator lights by half. (Initially take them out and see if this fixes the problem if so lower wattage globes).

Other option could be a bad earth in trailer plug wiring.

Regards

Paul
AnswerID: 167298

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:41

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:41
Thanks Paul - tried that - think I would be safer using hand signals than 5 watt globes!!
Also doubt the bad earth as i have a Podigy brkae controller which would have picked that up.
Thanks for advice though.
FollowupID: 422402

Follow Up By: Member - Paul P (Bris) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:50

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:50
Okay

Find you inidcator/flasher unit. See if you can replace it with a better rated one.

Have you tried slightly smaller bulbs in the trailer?

Regards

Paul
FollowupID: 422405

Follow Up By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:51

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 22:51
Ouch! 9.5l/km sounds terrible. Is it because you are using petrol?
FollowupID: 422406

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:10

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:10
I know i know -its a buggar trying petrol in these diesel engines!! besides which I though I had written enough so omitted the 100 out of things!!
FollowupID: 422412

Reply By: ACDC - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:06

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:06
Andrew,
We have fitted dozens of genuine bars to these and they come with a wiring loom for the extra lights so they are switched by relays that way the trailer light circuit does'nt see the extra load,hense no dash light problem.
You could fit relays to the ARB lights no problem.
AnswerID: 167308

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:13

Sunday, Apr 16, 2006 at 23:13
Thanks ACDC - back to ARB on Monday for a relay fitting! At least now i can tell them it can be done instead of them telling me nothing can be done
FollowupID: 422413

Reply By: alister - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 15:51

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 15:51
What is the consumption towing your van?
AnswerID: 167364

Reply By: hound - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:43

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 08:43
You have picked out quite a lot of bad points for a car that has only done 15000km's.
AnswerID: 167512

Sponsored Links