Great Central Road - Status and Fuel Availability

Submitted: Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 18:38
ThreadID: 32961 Views:2582 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I’m looking for some assistance on planning a trip on the Great central Road from Laverton to Yulara.

I am driving a 4.7L V8 Cruiser towing a large off road caravan.

Two questions.

Firstly is the current state of the road OK for such a rig?

Secondly, after looking at the Trek Notes on ExplorOz, it seems that Opal fuel is available at most locations but it is unclear wether unleaded (Opal or otherwise) is available between Laverton and Warburton. There are two roadhouses on the trek notes, Cosmo Newbery and Tjukayirla, but no mention of whether they have unleaded or Opal. Does anyone know?

Thanks in anticipation
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:59

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:59
Motley, like most outback tracks , the GCR changes after everything. As the fuel situation sometimes does. The police in Laverton or one of the roadhouses might be your best source of current information.
It's a great trip (watch out for a couple of sharp corners near Warberton). Take it easy and you'll have a ball.
AnswerID: 167422

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 20:27

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 20:27
Crikeys? no fuel between warbuton andLaveron - do those v8S really suck that much fuel? Tjukayirla used to be the only roadhouse on the GCR that had unleaded but I believe it now has opal.
I did the trip about 3 years ago but having a diesal didnt need to refuel. Road was fine but VERY corragated between Docker river and Yulara
AnswerID: 167434

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 21:27

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 21:27
Hi Motley

The Track is good check road reports before you leave, 2WD can and will travel this road, We have traveled it once in 2003 slow drive well under 80km/hr.

There is NO unleaded fuel between Tjukayirla Road House and Yulara around 800 km, so you need to carry enough.

Its a good trip not many places to camp with a CV. but the Road Houses and Docker River camp spot after the town

Regards

Richard
AnswerID: 167468

Reply By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 00:05

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 00:05
good road if your a burnt car collector, there's no shortage of them or the previous owners
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 167491

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 00:21

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 00:21
You can't help yourself can you
Also aren't dogs not allowed in National parks???
FollowupID: 422662

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:53

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 07:53
Richard Kovac
What's up your nose,
I'm sure he did a lot of harm , I let have a go at 5 Bilby's, 3 Eagles , numerous Birds, 22 Lizards ,2 Goanna's and 1 Camel so the little bloke had a ball .Besides what about the Dingo, and don't tell me it is a native animal to this country, I's been here only about 5000 years ,and I am certain it does more harm to native Fauna than Dusty ever would, Dusty is totally harmless and is severely restricted anywhere in outback locations because he could become the prey, no boubt about that,
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 422676

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:58

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 22:58
No Doug T
You are one to get on your high horse when it comes to people you don't like in this country, but it's all right to take your dog into a place it shouldn't be (or maybe it was allowed) is one law the same for all or just some?

It was just a remark to the statement (there's no shortage of them or the previous owners) and a question to the following post about Easter trip with the pup.

Richard Kovac
FollowupID: 422901

Reply By: bevnles - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 11:40

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 11:40
We did the GCR in September last year in a Nissan X-trail towing a Cub camper trailer. Despite many and varied reports about the road, we did it with ease. Some parts are very corrugated but if you drive to conditions, no problem. We did not even have a flat tyre in the whole 1045klms from Yulara to Leonora. Opal fuel was available at all roadhouses. It costs some 30c litre over the price of unleaded at Yulara. We did have the Information Centre at Yulara phone ahead to Warakurna Roadhouse and Tjukayirla Roadhouse, which were our two refuel stops, to be sure they had supplies. Our only loss was the cap off the pole carrier but we did speak with a couple with a rig like yours and the constant corrugations had all but sheared off the bolts holding the caravan spare wheel and the passenger inside door handle had fallen off (new Landcruiser) which meant the door had to be held shut for some 50k until the Warakurna Roadhouse where they able to do some repairs. It took us a full 3 days overnighting at Warakurna and Tjukayirla. The campground at Docker River was unhabitable as advertised toilets, water and wood supplies was not a reality. The Giles Weather Station is well worth a visit. Visitors are welcome early each morning to see the weather balloon released and a commentary and tour is very good. Lasseters Cave near Docker River is also a must. The scenery from Docker River to Yulara is spectacular. The Petermann Ranges, desert oaks and the view of Kata Tjuta (Olgas) is unforgettable. We were told that in the near future (this was September) persons travelling the road without a permit would not be served with fuel. Not sure if they have enforced that yet but the permits are free so why not get them. They can be arranged online. Camels were the biggest obstacle as they appear from nowhere, usually just around a bend in the road.
Enjoy the trip
bevnles
AnswerID: 167540

Sponsored Links