Southern Cross Canvas Bag are the water proof

Submitted: Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 19:32
ThreadID: 32963 Views:2287 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Was thinking about buying a canvas bag for the roof rack,so are they water proof or not,cheer's GREENDOG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 20:45

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 20:45
Greendog,
We recently purchased a roof rack bag and used it this weekend. Had dust, mud and heavy rain going up and coming back.

No dust inside. We did not condition the back prior to use (i.e. squirting down with water etc), bit of moisture on the way up and a bag that was at the back against the sip was a little damp.

We just had the sleeping bags, pillows, some towels and my clothes gear up there. All but my stuff was also in glad bags just incase.

It does seem with the 100 series LC, any dust, mud etc, ends up over the back and also along the back area of the roof rack, so probably will put extra plastic along this area.

Considering the amount of rain, it was not too wet.

The zipper - only has one finger holder (?) on each of the zips and it cannot be brought into the inside. For me, if I had have realised this would have insisted on a zipper that can be grapped from the inside of the bag as well of the outside, when you are standing on the tail gate, it just makes it easier.

Regards
Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 167444

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 21:44

Monday, Apr 17, 2006 at 21:44
I have a Southern Cross canvas roof bag & find it reasonably dust & water sealed but you can't really count on it. If it looks like rain I put the mats in garbage bags & clothes go in waterproof sailing bags. At speed the wind pushes the rain in through the zip & of course being canvas anything touching it will be slightly damp.
Cheers Craig.........
AnswerID: 167476

Reply By: flappa - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 09:11

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 09:11
My SC bag has been so far , completely waterproof, never had a drop of water in it.
AnswerID: 167516

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 09:27

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 09:27
Greendog,

Last year on the Canning there were 3 vehicles that had a bag for the roof rack.

2 were canvas, 1 was a new one, at the time from Bushranger. Made from the same material that they make the exhaust jack out of.

After sitting on the roof rack all night with a steady drizzle of rain the only one that was dry on the inside in the morning was the Bushranger.

The canvas might be alright while the vehicle is moving, but when the rain has time to soak through that is different.

No affiliation with Bushranger etc, etc.

Wayne
AnswerID: 167520

Reply By: Laura B - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:12

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:12
we have the bushranger one and its a beauty!!

we really conditioned the seams and had to buy another tude of the stuff (only $4) just to make sure - not that we didnt trust them but if a kobs worth doing, its worth doing properly in my case!!

ours has been through extreme down pours (not exaturating) and dirt storms and there has been no leaking of any kind....our only problem is that we had our table folded up in it and it put a tiny little rip in it....but its at the bottom and so far still no leaks.....

never heard of the southern cross one so cannt help you with it being waterproof or not but our B'R is fab!!!

Laura B
AnswerID: 167528

Follow Up By: flappa - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:22

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:22
Bushranger must have made a comeback.

When I bought my SC one , about 3 years ago . . . the bushranger bags were utter crap.

Where I bought mine from ARB they had had 5 returned within a few weeks.

They DO look different know to then , hopefully , and they appear to , they perform a lot better to.
FollowupID: 422716

Reply By: Member - Col G (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:59

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 10:59
Consider a Michelle Sac's one, I used one all weekend and one night it belted down, the bag was on the car empty but zipped and velcroes shut. In the morning there was a pool of water on the top of it, must have been five gallons or so, tipped it off and the inside was as dry as dust.

Cheers

Col
AnswerID: 167530

Follow Up By: Member - Prickle (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 00:42

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 00:42
Check out the latest 4x4 mag, I think it is these that get a write up in it.

Russ

Life-often hell but never boring.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 422920

Reply By: johannagoanna - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 11:32

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 11:32
The new Bushranger ones made out of the plastic like the exhaust jacks seem to get holes in them much easier than the canvas ones! Have a look at the ones that Klaus is selling on Ebay. Everyone says they are waterproof, and they are heaps cheaper than SC or Bushranger! - Jo
AnswerID: 167538

Reply By: Dean (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 13:05

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 13:05
Gday Greendog,
Ive had one made up by a canvas shop. I had it made a specific size that I wanted, also has a sown in carpet floor, try getting that from elsewhere...plenty $ less than the big names.
I left mine on the racks recently overnight empty...it poured all night...there was a pool in the middle but no water inside. As others have said the zip could be a problem, suppose I'll find out one day.
Dean
AnswerID: 167552

Reply By: GREENDOG - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:02

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:02
Thanks to every one that replyed to my post i'll have a good look around,thanks for the advice every one cheer's GREENDOG
AnswerID: 167698

Sponsored Links