AP60 Cruise Control on 80 Series Landcruiser

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 15:27
ThreadID: 32995 Views:14801 Replies:1 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

I recently purchased an AP60 cruise control unit from SuperCheap and am looking to install this coming w/e. Just wondering where do other Landcruiser owners (petrol/auto) hook the vacuum hose up? There are a number of hoses coming out of the Intake manifold and of different sizes. Does it make a difference which hose I use?

Also, the throttle cable on the cruiser looks like it can accept another cable. Could this have been for an optional factory cruise unit?

Also, where have other people sourced the power for the control unit from? The instructions talk about using a wire from the ignition... does anyone have any idea of the correct wire to use for landcruisers? I have an 80 series (1998) 40th Anniversary Auto.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bigredcruiser - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 18:58

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 18:58
Hi, I recently fitted the AP50 unit to my '97 GXL auto. They are basically the same apart from the style of the on/off set/acc button setup as far as I know.
For vacuum I teed into the pcv valve hose (goes from top of intake manifold into rocker cover). There should be an adapter tee in the c/c kit to do this, and it gives plenty of vacuum. Yes that additional bracket & cam must be for factory cruise but I
couldn"t find a way to use it with the AP50, so I put the 2 way clamp thing on the existing throttle cable and did it that way, works fine. For power, go to the fuse holder on the drivers side lower dash, the 3rd fuse down on the r/h row is "ignition
7.5a". It will be red/black. You need to tap into this via a solder joint (dont be tempted to use one of those foldover connectors, this needs to be good electrical connection. Its fiddly but can be done).Likewise brake switch connection.
OK, now the traps for young players.
1/ you have to use the front driveshaft for the magnet ( the pulse sensor wire isn"t
long enough to reach the rear on a cruiser
2/ use a spot of gasket silicone or glue under the magnet as well as the wire ties
when fixing to driveshaft.
3/One magnet was enough for my GXL
4/ When in test mode (vehicle stationary in neutral) you may need to actuate the set button up to 45 times before the engine speed increases, even though it says
15-20 on the instructions. Once this happens you can road test the car &you should be fine.
5/ Make sure your brake circuit is good ie no blown globes etc.
Happy cruising in your cruiser!!!
AnswerID: 167626

Follow Up By: joedm - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 12:28

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 12:28
BigRed, thanks for the reply.

I have also heard some people have joined the speed pulse sensor directly to the speedo wire. Is this something that can be done on my 80?
FollowupID: 422991

Follow Up By: Bigredcruiser - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:20

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 17:20
Joedm, I think the next model up, the AP150 hooks into the speedo drive, but I am not sure about the ap50 or 60. Does anybody else know?

If that were the case I would change straight away, the magnet set-up is a pain.
I find driving over a moderately sized pothole on one of the secondary backroads
will sometimes de-activate the cruise control due to (I presume) driveshaft movement interrupting the magnet/sensor.
FollowupID: 423065

Follow Up By: joedm - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 21:38

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 21:38
isn't there a way to mount the sensor arm so that it would move with the driveshaft? i.e. side to side and up and down. wouldn't this solve the problem whenever the driveshaft is subjected to bumps?
FollowupID: 423164

Follow Up By: Bigredcruiser - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 23:49

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 23:49
Cant see how that could be done. I used the kit supplied bracket & bolted it to the chassis, maybe something stronger might make a difference.

Its not a huge problem anyway, only happens occaisionally.

I thought 40th anniv. cruisers came std. with factory cruise?
FollowupID: 423737

Follow Up By: Bigredcruiser - Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 23:52

Friday, Apr 21, 2006 at 23:52
oops! Forgot to say let us know how the install goes over the w/e.

good luck!
FollowupID: 423738

Follow Up By: joedm - Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 09:55

Saturday, Apr 22, 2006 at 09:55
yeah I can't believe it myself... it wasn't one of the things I checked when I purchased 5 yrs ago.

In any case, I think I am ready for this install. Will get onto it first thing tomorrow morning.
FollowupID: 423765

Follow Up By: joedm - Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 23:58

Sunday, Apr 23, 2006 at 23:58
ok, 3-4 hrs of work and I'm done.
actually less than that as I spent some time walking around bunnings looking for a suitable bracket. Ended up buying an angle and then ended up just using the supplied bracket anyway.

The supplied bracket was a good fit from the chassis to the front driveshaft. Used self tapping metal hex bolts and bent the bracket at a slight angle to get the sensor at a tangent to the driveshaft.

The throttle set up was easy as I used the spare mechanism (probably meant for cruise control anyway) to hook the cable into. Looks like it was always meant to be there.

The hardest bit I must say was soldering the two wires to the brake switch. The existing brake switch had it's wires all wound up and taped up right up under the dash. I spent a good deal of time on my back trying to tap into the wires that went into the switch. Ended up with a bit of a messy job but the wires were fixed good so I just covered up with heat shrink and electrical tape.

Q: Has anyone hooked up the brake switch wires on a cruiser in a different manner?

I'd really like t revisit this part and clean it up a bit.

Anyway, went through the diagnostics and all tests OK. Then went on the road test and set cruise to 60 km/hr. Worked perfectly except I could set the cruise higher than 60-70km/hr. Could even here the popping from the actuator. Mind you I had two magnets and I had not cut the black wire.

I remember BigRed saying this in his post but I wanted to make sure that this was the same for my cruiser before I cut any wires etc.

So tomorrow I'll remove 1 magnet and cut the black wire.

Q: One thing I noticed was that when pressing the accelerator while cruise was set did not disengage the cruise control. Is this normal?

Will post pictures tomorrow. Thanks again for your help Bigredcruiser!!
FollowupID: 424030

Follow Up By: joedm - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 00:01

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 00:01
I meant to say "Worked perfectly except I could NOT set the cruise higher than 60-70km/hr"
FollowupID: 424031

Follow Up By: joedm - Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 09:57

Monday, Apr 24, 2006 at 09:57
ok here are the pics...

FollowupID: 424061

Sponsored Links