Tip on camping with LEDs

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 17:29
ThreadID: 33000 Views:2300 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Copy of a reply I sent about a query on 7ah sla batteries - as a new post.
.......as you say you are going to use the 7ah sla battery for camp lighting. The move these days is to LED lights instead of fluros as the equivalent uses 5 to 10 times less battery. There are quite a few options coming on the market right now including a 12v circular "trouble light" (aboiut 8 LEDs) with alternative red LEDs flashing and cig lighter plug (or rip the plug off & attach direct to battery). This item $16.95 from auto parts shop. There are also some "strip" emergency type lights with multiples of LEDS but these are a fair bit more expensive ($50 or so) and some are only attached to internal small capacity rechargeable batteries, rather than running direct off 7ah or car battery.
What I did was to get a halogen table lamp (or behind-the-bed on-the-wall with switch halogen base) that TAKES A MR16 HALOGEN GLOBE. Then I replaced the halogen globe with a 12v MR16 multiple LED clusterfrom Hybralec Industries Ph. 03-9761-6780 (they have other style replacement LEDs too (see www.hybralec.com.au), and attached the necessary wiring for MY 7ah battery. This gets over the slightly poorer light produced by LEDs (actually your eyes soon get used to LEDs once it gets dark). Get 5-10 evenings out of the battery now.
Also consider a cheap LED garden light ($6 or so). charges up free during the day, looks ziggy & guides you to your camper/tent early evening. Turn it upside down, solar panel down on the benchtop or wherever when you go to sleep & you get adequate light in the middle of the night if you have to get up for some reason or other (i.e. if you are old like us).
This is my first new post. Hope you found it interesting.
Arkay - Adelaide SA
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:29

Tuesday, Apr 18, 2006 at 23:29
Arkay.
The leds do not produce more light per watt than the fluro, to say the power is 1/10th is totaly wrong, but you can work with much less light from the leds once your eyes adjust. Eric.
AnswerID: 167701

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 06:54

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 06:54
To my surprise it appears, that in the "real world" you are quite correct if this site is anything to go by:

Site Link

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 422930

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:20

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 08:20
the table is telling Mike. Thanks
* 32 watt T8 fluorescent--85 to 95 lumens/watt
* standard F40T12 cool white fluorescent--60-65 lumens/watt
* compact fluorescents--low 30's to low 60's lumens per watt, usually 48-60
* T3 tubular halogen--20 lumens/watt
* white LED--15-19 lumens/watt
* standard 100 watt incandescent--17 lumens/watt
* incandescent night light bulb (7w)--6 lumens/watt
* incandescent flashlight bulbs--dismal, less than 6 lumens/watt
FollowupID: 422952

Reply By: phil - Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:44

Wednesday, Apr 19, 2006 at 07:44
Hi,
Flouros still produce much more light for the same power than LEDs do. Flouros are by far the most efficient cheap light source. However it is much easier to direct the light from a led source so the brightness at a particular point can be quite good. LEDs should be more reliable long term.
I would use leds for work lights and flouros for general lighting.

Phil I
AnswerID: 167726

Sponsored Links